Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Should I buy a C5 C6 or TransAM

Old 07-01-2007, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should I buy a C5 C6 or TransAM

Hey guys I am considering buying a C5 Z06, C5 Targa top, C6 Targa top, or TransAm.

I want to get some pros and cons from you guys.

The way I look at it the C5 Z06 seems like the best car for me to buy because its built for racing and is not that expensive anymore maybe 25K.

I was considering getting a regular C5 and putting parts on it. What are the big differences between the Z06 and regular C5?

I'm also considering the TransAm because it does have the same engine and it seems like the parts are a lot cheaper for the it and you can get them for considerably less. Does the lack of weight of the Corvette make it a lot faster then the TransAm? What is the weight difference?

I am looking at getting a car to Drag, Road, and Street Race so I need the most balanced car that will be the fastest for under 35K. Thanx for your imput guys.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sooooooooo,.......you want to turn a $50k into a $10k car,...........OK,......Seems reasonable to me! For drag racing you can do a lot of mods with the cash you save by going with the T.A.!! like the new L.S.X. block built for around $20k. With somewhere around 750 horse + (ha ha gas!) (non-forced induction) you will get noticed !! For road racing I would suggest trying one of the MANY schools everywhere that use the Corvette as their track car first. Then decide what you like. And remember its only money
Old 07-01-2007, 02:08 PM
Teching In

OK thanx. I'm trying to get away from the drag racing and do more road courses. Do you guys think with suspension mods the TransAm can be as fast as the corvette with about the same mods or the Corvette handle that much better?
Old 07-01-2007, 04:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by AZTurbo69
OK thanx. I'm trying to get away from the drag racing and do more road courses. Do you guys think with suspension mods the TransAm can be as fast as the corvette with about the same mods or the Corvette handle that much better?
An F-Body can made to handle as well as a stock Y-Body, but then the Y-Body can be made to handle that much better.

Our Camaro handles fairly well; and with Koni's, Hotchkiss springs, Strano Sways, BMR LCAs, BMR SFCs, BMR STB, etc can still manage a 10 second pass.

If I were going to spend the money on just a track only car I think I would personally stick with a F-Body; but the Y-Body can get the whole package done as well. I consider our Camaro a Battle Ax and the Z06 a Rapier...

Although if you can find a C5Z for $25K then jump on it!
Old 07-01-2007, 04:54 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

The main issue with making an f-body handle like a Corvette is that you tend to give up ride quality and introduce more squeaks/creaks with all that fancy upgraded suspension. The Corvettes handle pretty damn good as-is, and remain comfortable and quiet on the road.

If you can swing a C6, get one. They are far nicer than any C5, especially in terms of interior, comfort, and build quality.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Thanx for all your guys imput. I think I am just going to wait it out and see what I get a good deal for the C5 or C6. I work at a car dealership so I can go to the auction and get cars at cost, so I'm sure I can pick up a C5 Z06 for 15-25K and a C6 from 24-50 so whatever I find a crazy deal on I will just pick that up. Unless one of you guys on the forums will hook me up with a good deal on yours....
Old 07-01-2007, 11:59 PM
Teching In

What do you guys think about putting a LS1 into a old muscle car and road racing that? Like a late 60's Camaro or Nova or Firebird? How would that compair to the C5 C6 Corvette for road racing?
Old 07-02-2007, 12:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

What do you guys think about putting a LS1 into a old muscle car and road racing that? Like a late 60's Camaro or Nova or Firebird? How would that compair to the C5 C6 Corvette for road racing?

go to the local xcrossing events and see whos winning...its not the novas
Old 07-02-2007, 08:56 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Fbody before the Vette and I would even go back to a Fbody. Vettes are more costly in the long run, but I think you would be much happier with a Vette and a Fbody. Just my $0.02

Keith
Old 07-02-2007, 03:41 PM
Teching In

for road racing and an all around great car for under 20K I'd go with a C5. Plenty of go fast parts, modern suspension (IRS), lower than a F car lighter etc. F cars are great, but the Corvette was designed for the twisties. You can find a resonable mileage (less than 40K) C5 coupe for less thank $20K all day long, and spend another $5K in go fast parts and you are smoking a stock Z06; of course a Z and $5K... You will also be able to take the top off in a coupe

Of course I have a 99 C5 so what do you expect I'd say.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:55 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

You mean pro-touring style. You can build them with C5/C6 suspension too, just depends on your budget. The Corvette just makes it easier since they handle great right off the showroom floor.

Here is one I built previously: www.ExtremeG.net

And a site dedicated to them: www.Pro-Touring.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I buy a C5 C6 or TransAM