Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

04 Z06 wont run!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 12:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Z06 wont run!

I dont know where to start. I don't know much history about the car. I bought it hit in the rear. It had always ran fine and I had the car painted and at the garage it started flooding. It wouldnt start. I changed the plugs and it ran. I drove it home cleaned it up and waited to get tags and insurance the next day to take a drive. I went to unlock the car the remote did not open it. I used the key to open it and the alarm sounded. I put the key in the ignition and it stopped, I tried to start it. It started then quit. It will start for about 2 seconds and dies. My power windows and radio will not work? So, where do I start I have checked most of the fuses.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

I had a problem once with my windows and doorlocks not working and doing the same thing your describing, on for 2 seconds and them shutting off. It turned out to be the battery. It just happend overnite in my case. If thats not your problem, I would look into the alternator next.

either way, let us know what it was when you find it.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your car has some serious issues......Good luck with it ....

I'd probably run a scanner and see if you have any codes. Have you already done that and if so what codes ???

Again good luck, let us know how it turns out.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:40 PM
11 Second Club

battery.... the stupid batteries in these cars do all sorts of haywire things when going bad..
Old 07-10-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

ITs the VATS system enabled. My guess is its in the middle of a key relearn process but thats only speculation

Dave
Old 07-10-2007, 03:24 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 99Fbody99
ITs the VATS system enabled. My guess is its in the middle of a key relearn process but thats only speculation

Dave

i was thinking along the same lines, it starting and dieing right away sounds like VATS is activated, have yrou tuner disable it completely and see if it runs.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

+1 on the battery. Weird things happen with low battery and bad grounds.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:27 PM
Banned

1)Battery
2)Pull the key out of the ignition for 10 seconds... sometimes that helps...
3)clear the DTC codes...
Old 07-10-2007, 11:59 PM
Teching In

It's Back! It was a long day but it was worth it. I tried running codes and the computer would not respond. It said no communication. I changed the battery, nothing. Start and die. My thought process was it was running when I brought it home. What did I do to it? I put the door panels on it last night. So, I thought I would take them off. I was unscrewing the drivers side door panel and my instrument panel went back to normal. I took it off. The screw was right next to some wires running between the two screws holding on the panel. It didnt cut it or go through it just touching. A piece of tape came loose. I drove it this evening and had a blast! I never thought something so simple wouldnt let my car run. I can understand the window and maybe radio. I just wanted to say thanks for everyone's input. I am sure I will need it again. oh yeah what cam? j/k
Old 07-11-2007, 10:42 AM
Staging Lane

Man I'm glad you got it resolved. If you had mentioned that your instrument panel was out of wack, I would have saved you the trouble of changing the battery. These cars are notorious for having wires on the passenger door harness stripped or making contact. The first sign of it is the instrument panel going crazy. All warning lights turn on, gauges stop working, you get the service soon and so on..

Either way goodluck with it and I'm glad it worked out for you.

Quick Reply: 04 Z06 wont run!