Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Found her dirty secrets...literally...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 11:27 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found her dirty secrets...literally...

Alright, went over to alternative motor sports with my "new to me" toy.
With over 100k miles and a 16k price tag I couldn't resist. To my eyes she had kooks custom headers, corsa exhaust, and an air intake. But the guy tryed hard to make the sale at 21k, saying "oh it has patriot heads, a z06 cam, yadayada blah. I told em that didn't matter so I threw a low ball # and he took it. So I bought the car. Today I find she needs new rear tires, new spark plugs, she needs her injectors cleaned, her air filter is fairly dirty, she needs a tune up.
With all that said and done, I did a **** poor job of a dyno result Maxing @ 301 hp and 312 tQ. He said not bad I take it as a disappointment.

Anyone have some ideas to get these #'s up I would like to go back in a month and throw a better number up there.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fuel_junkie
Alright, went over to alternative motor sports with my "new to me" toy.
With over 100k miles and a 16k price tag I couldn't resist. To my eyes she had kooks custom headers, corsa exhaust, and an air intake. But the guy tryed hard to make the sale at 21k, saying "oh it has patriot heads, a z06 cam, yadayada blah. I told em that didn't matter so I threw a low ball # and he took it. So I bought the car. Today I find she needs new rear tires, new spark plugs, she needs her injectors cleaned, her air filter is fairly dirty, she needs a tune up.
With all that said and done, I did a **** poor job of a dyno result Maxing @ 301 hp and 312 tQ. He said not bad I take it as a disappointment.

Anyone have some ideas to get these #'s up I would like to go back in a month and throw a better number up there.
We need more data! A4, stall?, what gears? M6? If M6, is the clutch slipping? Dynojet or Mustang dyno? Do you know if the guy had a tune for those mods or is it untuned? All these things can make a huge difference.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

As stated we need more info.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:22 PM
Launching!

ok, ok.
Its an A4 with 3.23 gears, the dyno is a dynojet, as far as the tune, i dont know all I know is she is running fine took her to Enid Oklahoma (150mile drive) ands she got 20-24mpg all the way there and back, no stall, just kinda got in a hurry, i did no prepping...
Old 07-17-2007, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like an oil change, fuel filter, air filter, plugs, wires and a tranmission service are in order. Don't forget to service the rearend too. After all that is done you need to go redyno. I think your car should be making more power with the things you listed Kooks, corsa, and intake. Should be at least 325 rwhp even with a an a4
Old 07-17-2007, 03:39 PM
11 Second Club

ok, ok.
Its an A4 with 3.23 gears, the dyno is a dynojet, as far as the tune, i dont know all I know is she is running fine took her to Enid Oklahoma (150mile drive) ands she got 20-24mpg all the way there and back, no stall, just kinda got in a hurry, i did no prepping...
I would go ahead and start with the tune up on the car. My next question will be since the car is an A4 was the converted locked up or unlocked for the dyno pull? Most A4 cars will suck more power out of the engine due to drive train losses. With an unlocked converter they will take even more away. Most people dyno A4's with a locked converter to try and get an accurate reflection of the power output.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:59 PM
Launching!

not sure about the converter, he said something about it liking to slip in and out of a gear, not sure...but I called another guy today at extreme performance and was more than helpful and said he could tell me more about my car than that guy, and he also suggested a redyno after I got her all cleaned up.

Thanks a ton for all the info!
Old 07-17-2007, 09:30 PM
Teching In

not sure about the converter, he said something about it liking to slip in and out of a gear, not sure...but I called another guy today at extreme performance and was more than helpful and said he could tell me more about my car than that guy, and he also suggested a redyno after I got her all cleaned up.

Thanks a ton for all the info!
Extreme is a great shop! I highly recommend them, they are the only place I'd take my car. Chuck at Alternative is a great guy too, I assume he referred you to extreme? Anyway, let us know how it works out, even if it's dyno'n low, Extreme can hook you up with some power

oh and if you haven't already you may want to check out
http://www.okgmp.com it's a local group of GM enthuasists.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
I think your car should be making more power with the things you listed Kooks, corsa, and intake. Should be at least 325 rwhp even with a an a4
X2

Sounds like its got headers and Catbacks, Factory Heads/Cam and is untuned. Probably an LS1 intake as well since the H/C ain't there as he said.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:53 PM
10 Second Club

Question

ok, ok.
Its an A4 with 3.23 gears
I think you mean 3.15 gears, the 3.23s are the A4 F-bodies better gear ratio.

And this car has Kooks headers, an intake, Patriot heads, LS6 cam etc and is only making 301rwhp?
Old 07-17-2007, 10:56 PM
Launching!

Yeah I talked to Bret today at extreme, great guy, we talked for about 45 mins about what cam I should go for but was looking for best interest with power vs reliability and what I need to do before a cam swap. Looks like Im buiding my list, friday is the do date for me and my car. This is the list hit me up if I miss something

8 new spark plugs
new wires
new fuel filter
fresh mobil1 oil w/ filter
Cleaning my k&n w/ recharge kit.
thats just about the jist of it
So far my mods are just going to be an intake and a good tune. My bud has a 2000 as wel and said he got about 31mpg on the enid trip but he also has an m6 and ran on 6th gear to and from going about 55mph,I don't know but I only got like 21-24 so theres where I might be running a little rich. Hopefully Ill get every thing straitened out and push some better #'s next month.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:33 PM
Banned

Cool have fun
Old 07-18-2007, 09:00 PM
Launching!

8 new spark plugs
new wires
new fuel filter
fresh mobil1 oil w/ filter
Cleaning my k&n w/ recharge kit.
thats just about the jist of it
So far my mods are just going to be an intake and a good tune. My bud has a 2000 as wel and said he got about 31mpg on the enid trip but he also has an m6 and ran on 6th gear to and from going about 55mph,I don't know but I only got like 21-24 so theres where I might be running a little rich. Hopefully Ill get every thing straitened out and push some better #'s next month.
The stick gets much better mileage on the highway. I average 34 on my way to work going 70 @ about 1500 rpm's. Never thought of a 'vette as an economy car!
Sounds like the tune up and a custom tune should make a noticable difference for you. Enjoy it!
Old 07-18-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Strongly recommend starting at replacing sprak plugs and ***WIRES***...as the factory GM plug wires on ANY GM vehicle,..are horrible. They come apart VERY easily on the inside,...which makes it hard to tell there is a problem.

Start there...then obviously,..do what these guys are recommending you.

It seems underpowered greatly in my opinion.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:57 AM
11 Second Club

Sounds like you have a good plan to start with now. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:34 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all the things everyone has said and have your tune checked. a shop should be able to go for a drive and data log whats happening. just to be safe have the tune checked. did they give you air fuel ratio when you dynoed?
Old 07-19-2007, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just took off my run-flats and chrome thin spokes. Make ya a good deal on them (all or part) if you want them. No sensors (use yours) and tires are at about 60-75% left. Let me know, I'll take actual thread depths and pics of the wheels. They're all separated. Tire shipping is usually $25/. Not sure about the rims.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:06 PM
Launching!

Thanks Todd but i have the wheels that I want on the car: Z06 chrome wheels, they will suffice. Anybody know what kind of wires are really good and durable, Im not really looking for any wires that are supposed to gain and hp cause thats kind of retarded just one that will get my car running I was going with a/c delco but also tossing botch plugs and wires too...as just for everyone to clarify the guy that sold me the vette was trying to sell me all this bull about it having a cam and heads and intake but it didn't, I didn't buy the car thinking it did so I threw a low ball price of 16 grand because of the mileage on the car and he took it so thats how I got the car the car has over 100k miles and is in outstanding condition inside and out with the imperfections of some highway miles on the bumper and windshield. Two rock chips on the hood I would like to fill soon.
Ps atomic your car is looking great
Old 07-19-2007, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey.. looks nice. Nice price too. Hopefully no one ever askes you about how many convertable Z06's were made.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:27 PM
Launching!

lol emblems are coming off as far as I know only 5 gm verts were made, not clear but thats what a friend said.