Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Tires rubbing fenders on launch HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tires rubbing fenders on launch HELP!!

OK so as i was about to clean the car and not sure what made me do it but I realized the tires are rubbing on the launch is my guess. Tires are about even with the rear quarters. On the launch the rear sinks down and rubs the top of the fenders along the wheel well slightly. Its rubbed the paint off and ground it down a little. What do you drag racers do to not the rear come down this far? The tires are 26in tall ET streets. Do you put stops?, Change the shocks? Stiffer torsen bar?Z06? I have T1 shocks in the rear, I had the stock rear shocks but I had wheel hop issues with them in. Front sway bar is off, The rear sway bar is stock and on. Let me know what you guys are doing with CCW's and 28in tall tires and 26er's etc. I plan on running 28s with nitrous in a couple months possibly. So i'll be even closer to rubbing with those. Thanks

Bruce
Old 09-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

The only thing you can do w/ your current offset rims is to install a stiffer shock. That will help plant the tires too
Old 09-07-2007, 11:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Have you tried raising the rear end slightly. A 1/2" will make a huge difference. On my CCW drag package the tire sits slightly inside the fender. In order to run 28s I have heard that you have to remove the inner fender liner and cut down on some metal tabs.
If you are rubbing 26s, there is no way a 28 will work.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:42 AM
11 Second Club

my 26's rub as well, mounted on Y2k 17" wheels. mine have actually burned big holes in the top of my fender wells... haha

my car is slammed though.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:11 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Draglite XP have a different offset than the CCW. The XPs have the tire stick slightly outside of the fender while the CCWs have the tire slightly inside. For you with the XPs you will need to raise the car up slightly in the rear to clear up the rubbing issue.

To run 28" you will need a while with a different offset than the XPs. Once you have a wheel that puts the tire slightly inside of the fender you can do one of two things. Remove the inner fender well covers or raise the car up all the way and keep the fender wells.

Keith

Quick Reply: Tires rubbing fenders on launch HELP!!