Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Effects of slipping clutch and to much timing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 07:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Effects of slipping clutch and to much timing?

Long story short (I hope), I had my car dynoed last year, hit 397rwhp/387rwtq SAE (dynojet). I know there can be variances in dyno number's so I expected some change when I dynoed yesterday but maybe not quite so much, especially with much better air. So my new numbers yesterday were 383/377 SAE. I went because I felt maybe I should be going a bit quicker in the 1/8th...mph wise. Other than my crappy 60-fts, my best trap has been 91.11 in the 1/8th on an 8.27 run as I recall. However, like at the track, my clutch is starting to emit a bad smell when warm. Really bad on the dyno. We also noticed my timing is at 35 with the computer pulling 4 degrees and power falling a bit flat after 5000rpm with some chop in the curve; so it's pinging at that point. Unfortunetly the last tuner locked the computer so we couldn't retune. So my question for the experts, do these two issues have much of an effect in the 1/8th mile? No 1/4 miles around here unfortunetly.

I've got about 100 passes in my C6, most of them in the 1/8th. Just put on brand new DR's last week, trying to learn to make em hook and I may have hurt the clutch obviously. Mods are: Vararam, ported intake, 1.85 rockers (don't ask, bad idea), Kooks 1 3/4" long-tubes, x-pipe with cats, Corsa cat-back, 160 t-stat and tune.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bunk22
Long story short (I hope), I had my car dynoed last year, hit 397rwhp/387rwtq SAE (dynojet). I know there can be variances in dyno number's so I expected some change when I dynoed yesterday but maybe not quite so much, especially with much better air. So my new numbers yesterday were 383/377 SAE. I went because I felt maybe I should be going a bit quicker in the 1/8th...mph wise. Other than my crappy 60-fts, my best trap has been 91.11 in the 1/8th on an 8.27 run as I recall. However, like at the track, my clutch is starting to emit a bad smell when warm. Really bad on the dyno. We also noticed my timing is at 35 with the computer pulling 4 degrees and power falling a bit flat after 5000rpm with some chop in the curve; so it's pinging at that point. Unfortunetly the last tuner locked the computer so we couldn't retune. So my question for the experts, do these two issues have much of an effect in the 1/8th mile? No 1/4 miles around here unfortunetly.

I've got about 100 passes in my C6, most of them in the 1/8th. Just put on brand new DR's last week, trying to learn to make em hook and I may have hurt the clutch obviously. Mods are: Vararam, ported intake, 1.85 rockers (don't ask, bad idea), Kooks 1 3/4" long-tubes, x-pipe with cats, Corsa cat-back, 160 t-stat and tune.

If your running 35 degrees of timing at WOT thats WAY to much, need to back that down and dial it in and you should make more power