Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

G.I. in Z06 have mods for it but have some ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 07:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking G.I. in Z06 have mods for it but have some ?'s

Right now I have a set of AFR's 205 heads custom cam fast 90/nw90 and a under drive pully on my camaro. If i get a Z06 I will transfer this set up to the vette. With this set up the car should be in the 475+ rwhp with headers and X pipe with a cut outs.
-Now my ?'s is how much hp can the rear end handle?
-Will I need to do any rear end mods to the car too handle the hp?
-Can I use my clutch on the Zo6 its a textrailla Zo700?
-What drive tran mods need to be do?
Thanks guy I will loved to hear your feedback
Old 07-28-2008, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The rear should handle it. The clutch won't work to my knowledge. If you plan on some wicked launches you should look at a hardened output shafts and hardened halfshafts and a rear brace. DTE can help you out there. For street driving and occasional track use the stock components should hold up.

You will need a drive by wire throttlebody to replace your current unit. You will need a new clutch. You'll need headers that will fit the C5. You don't really need cutouts on a C5 (the exhaust isn't restrictive).

Also since you're replacing all the engine components that make the Z06 different from a normal C5, I'd suggest saving the $5-8k premium and buying a '99-00 FRC or Z51/M6 Coupe.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:34 AM
10 Second Club

I see what you are saying on the Z06 but it will be sweet to have one!!! Do you have a link for DTE. For the cut out reason is I want to keep the car a sleeper and when needed I will open a can of whoop ***. nice vette and thanks for the feedback I will use it.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

want a sleeper go stick with Z06 Titanium mufflers and not B&B bullets lol i had Ti's on my coupe and they were quiet until i went WOT and they got a little louder. The B&B are loud ALL the time Will need a different T/B so might as well search Ebay or wherever. Keep the Z06 mufflers though, they are nice and tame so it'll sound close to stock. i went with Texas-Speed headers. They are like $800 shipped with the X-pipe, look great and are awesome. Only isse i had was the X-pipe to header fitment wasn't perfect and you have to holesaw your tunnel plate to get the o2's to go through it otherwise they are a great deal.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

http://www.dynotechengineering.com/

They don't have a lot on their home page, but they have the parts to beef up your C5 rear. As to the Z06 if you are really looking at that power level the M6 in a coupe/FRC and a 3.90 rear would be a better gear setup than the M12 in the Z06. If you like the look of the Z06 that much I would strongly suggest looking at an FRC. The money you will save will enable you to spend a lot more on making the car they way you want it.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:48 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks ColeTrain on the exhaust tip and 99C5JA thank you for telling me the trans part. This is the stuff that I want to know because I don't know a hole lot on the C5.
Thanks keep them coming
Old 07-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

That is almost the same set up as I have already that you are planning on doing....I have the rear end brace....Gonna get the axles when I get the drag radials, but the rear end should be good as it is on mine.....I have the ram dual disc in mine and dont have any problems out of mine and has a higher HP rating for when the blower goes on....You should be in the mid 450's all day long with that set up pending the size of the cam. As far as the cut outs.....I would say not worry bout them, as every one is still wanna race ya just cause it is a vette....Its always nice to remind them that they bought the wrong car!
Old 07-28-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

VARARAM,LS2 TB and plug in harness,FAST 92mm,205's, camshaft,LONG TUBES(LG pro's(most torque), KOOKS or american racing or any GOOD header),..i'd go with a 3" OFFROAD X pipe, if your state will allow for that, if not, high flow cats are NOT that restrictive. If you like raw sound, B&B bullets.

get a good clutch, hardened shafts, and DTE brace, and that should help for a while(i'm using a exoskel twin, DTE brace, and thats it).
Old 07-29-2008, 03:10 AM
10 Second Club

sweet thanks for the info utryd2 and V-seriesTech. how hard is doing the rear end bracing and the dte shafts. Is it something that I can do or not. also how hard is it to do the headers and Xpipe swap.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by blu byu EH
sweet thanks for the info utryd2 and V-seriesTech. how hard is doing the rear end bracing and the dte shafts. Is it something that I can do or not. also how hard is it to do the headers and Xpipe swap.

That all depends on your skill level. People can do anything brother,...just gotta apply yourself. I don't remember if you mentioned above your skill level but, the bracing isn't bad to do but, it does have some precision involved in it, adjusting backlash and such. If you can understand the dirctions, you can install it. The idea of the BRACE, is to prevent the TWISITING force of the driveline when a LOAD is applied. The DTE brace, counters that, by PREloading the drivetrain, to already counter that.

It's just nuts and bolts. However, we recently installed a DTE brace on my buddies lingenfelter 2000 6 speed car, and I had some metal that I had to remove, cause the brace wasn't gonna fit with those pieces there. My car is a 2000, and I had to do NO cutting. Maybe they sent the wrong bracket, I dunno. Other then that, no biggie.

You will need jack stands for safety, as you'll have to get pretty decently far underneath the car to put the front bracket on. Not too hard but, a LITTLE tight.

I'd do a search for some online step by steps before you tackled it.

If your talking about half shafts/axles,.....you'll have to support again the car, and suspension on either side while changing axles. Pretty easy job if youu have the right tools. But, if you've never done it before,...it may be more involved.

note: I work on cars for a living soo,...I see things differntly then, lets say a lawyer when it comes to cars and tools. So I am not the best person to ask f it's easy or hard.

Oh, and more importantly, my XBOX live gamertag is: Five 0 Killer

The 0 is the number zero.

Quick Reply: G.I. in Z06 have mods for it but have some ?'s