Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Got Rear-Ended In '99 Vette (Ughhh!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 08:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Got Rear-Ended In '99 Vette (Ughhh!)

You know that good feeling you get when you are sitting in your Vette at a red light listening to some really good tunes when suddenly it feels like a wrecking ball hits your prized possession? We did not even hear the guys brakes before he hit us in his '94 Chevy Blazer.

Just wondering: Has anyone else been rear-ended on here and what was the cost of the damage? I know the large bumper can't be cheep. The whole backside is bent inward and cracked in several places. The guy has insurance but after a week the adjuster has not come to look at the car yet! I wish they would stop dragging their feet so I can get my baby #2 fixed!
Old 08-13-2008, 09:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Very sorry to hear about the accident. At least only the car was damaged and you are fine.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well that sucks.

Not sure of your taste but, it's always a good time to upgrade. Some of the aftermarket rear panels have a nice,loooooooooooooooooooooooooow slung HINT of a spoiler. Almost looks stock. Might wanna consider that, atleast as an option.

Like Doug said, could be worse, glad you alright.

peace out
Old 08-14-2008, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did back in December by a roll off truck that pick up the 30 and 40 yard dumpsters. for a new back bumper, drivers side rear quarter panel, stress cracks in the door, new tail light, and had to weld in a new piece of the medal bumper supprot on the frame. and with all the prep,paint,and cleaning all ran very close to $4,600 car was in the shop for three weeks as well.

sorry to hear about your car and glad your ok
Old 08-18-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Really depends on what was damaged as it get really expensive to repair if you crack the rear tubs, especially on Hardtops.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:48 AM
10 Second Club

You guys will not believe this: We got an attorney and started out what was a good idea/process to pay for our injuries, car repair and get a little $$, and the guy has no insurance! So we dropped the attorney (who got mad about it and said he was putting a lien on my info. ) and we are using our own insurance under "uninsured motorist". The attorney actually suggested that I "sue my own insurance company". The damages for the rear-end are about $3,000. (Don't use Bryan Loncar; "The Strong Arm" )
Old 08-19-2008, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fasttagurl
You guys will not believe this: We got an attorney and started out what was a good idea/process to pay for our injuries, car repair and get a little $$, and the guy has no insurance! So we dropped the attorney (who got mad about it and said he was putting a lien on my info. ) and we are using our own insurance under "uninsured motorist". The attorney actually suggested that I "sue my own insurance company". The damages for the rear-end are about $3,000. (Don't use Bryan Loncar; "The Strong Arm" )
I report the guy that hit you to the police to have him arrested for having no insurance and then sue him personally.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:47 AM
Teching In

report him and then sue him. by sueing your insurance company is a tad bit stupid but it is probably because if you did that they would go after the guy who hit you.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:40 AM
Teching In

Sorry to hear of your accident, but you're OK and that's what really matters! I agree with the others, time to upgrade by either adding a spoiler or going with a Tigershark/Spectrewerks or another rear bumper. If it's like my insurance they'll only pay for stock replacement costs. Fortunately, many of the stock parts cost the same or more than aftermarket pieces.

Don't sue the insurance, that's silly! Your lawyer is just trying to find a way to make some money. Lawyers are such weasels and that's one reason why I backed out of Law school. You have insurance for a reason, use it.

If possible, I would try and go after/punish the other driver, but that's not a likely situation. It may be more trouble than it's worth. Hope you get your back and all works out for ya!
Old 08-19-2008, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ditto on suing the guy that hit you... and also I'd report the atty to the state bar. Sounds unethical.

Keep tabs on your medical expenses. Getting hit from behind.. you're gonna hurt. It's just going to take a week or so to know it.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:59 PM
10 Second Club

Hey Guys, I don't mean to keep on about this, but this is turning out to be "HELL" for me and I am the victim that got hit! Sueing him is good advice but regardless of what some courts say, people actually don't care about paying what they are ordered to in Texas. Plus, I cannot lose money taking him to court and missing work. I have complained to the Grand Prairie, TX PD and they are sending me a form where I can get the guy a ticket written up.

I found out today even if I dropped the attorney they are still "collecting an interest" in my settlement with my insurance company. I thought this was between State Farm and ME now, so HOW does the attorney still get my checks from SF!!? SF said they send the settlement check to them, what the hell? I did sign a Contract with the attorney but was TOLD (during my Free consultation) if anything fell through the cracks and they were not able to settle with HIS insurance company, that I WOULD NOT be liable for any costs! I cannot go see any doctors right now because they are holding a lien on my records and also still taking 33% of what I get!

I am thinking, "Screw This" (Sorry if I offend anyone, I'm just a little upset, and this is our Vette baby we're talking about!) and we will just continue to hurt so the crooked attorney gets almost NOTHING! I am not understanding how they can legally still take some of the $$ even though I no longer use their svcs. and they only worked on my case for 4 days! I am going home and re-reading what I signed, but I am pretty sure I just got SCREWED! Thanks for letting me rant! It's like the guy said, "Hey, look, a nice Vette. I don't have any insurance so I'll just SLAM into the back of it!"
Old 08-19-2008, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can't tell you how much I hate my lawyer. Probably the only person in the whole world, I dislike.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Teching In

talk to your insurance company about it and see what they say

i was also rear ended in my mustang and i also thought i was not hurt but i started to have shoulder issues and i had a rib head pop out every once in a while. it took over a week to develop the symptoms. so keep that in mind
Old 09-07-2008, 02:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

any updates?
Old 09-08-2008, 08:07 AM
10 Second Club

Vette is still in the shop. We got the Specter Werks bumper (since it looks awesome) so it's taking a little longer to get out of the shop. Plus, Service King painted the bumper pink instead of Mag Red then tried to say the car was done so I went off on them. I never told a business they were "half assers" before!

The attorney was dropped, but they are holding an "interest" in my case when they did not do anything for me. So I call the insurance (who I feel like dropping now because they are not having my back on this) and they said they have to give all the checks, payments, etc. to the attorney. So none of the settlement money comes directly to me. I immediately stopped going to therapy, doctors, etc. so they will not get much $$. It's amazing how I AM the victim that got hit, the guy had NO INSURANCE, then I get crapped on out of the whole deal. I am still looking for a reason as to why this played out like this in the first place. I am going to laugh when that attorney gets $40 out of this. I re-read the Contract I signed, and it says if I do not collect anything, neither do they, so I am really OK with not getting any money out of this. It's amazing how CROOKED some attorneys are - and I used to want to be one!
Old 09-08-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So what about collecting money for the car repairs? Are you just going to pay for it on your own to F_ck the attorney?
Old 09-08-2008, 12:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Red99TA
So what about collecting money for the car repairs? Are you just going to pay for it on your own to F_ck the attorney?
No, that's covered by my insurance, I only have to pay the small deductable. They are only trying to collect on everything except property damage.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:35 AM
12 Second Club

sucks sorry to hear all this
Old 09-09-2008, 07:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, i when i was 19 i was in my '90 GTA, that my dad kept for me to have, sitting at a light with my radio on on my way to get my hair cut to get ready for my date the next night, when all of a sudden this ******* ****-smoking 17 y/o in his POS Honda rams in the back of me. Lets just say in NJ you CAN'T threaten bodily harm to anyone for ANY REASON, hahaha.

So about the car, yea it was fucked. I had water shooting out of the exhaust when i started it up so something got fucked up when the exhaust was push up. The *** end was damn near the ground and the frame was pushed upward behind the door and i also had a crease on both sides of the car behind the window. My doors wouldn't close right and NONE of my windows worked...body was bent, car was totalled. It had 81K origional miles on it, and we only got a lil more then $5K for it.

I only had a concusion, so i was lucky. bottom line is you weren't seriously hurt and cars can be replaced/repaired.

Hope it all works out for you!
Old 09-09-2008, 07:53 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nightrydass
Yea, i when i was 19 i was in my '90 GTA, that my dad kept for me to have, sitting at a light with my radio on on my way to get my hair cut to get ready for my date the next night, when all of a sudden this ******* ****-smoking 17 y/o in his POS Honda rams in the back of me. Lets just say in NJ you CAN'T threaten bodily harm to anyone for ANY REASON, hahaha.

So about the car, yea it was fucked. I had water shooting out of the exhaust when i started it up so something got fucked up when the exhaust was push up. The *** end was damn near the ground and the frame was pushed upward behind the door and i also had a crease on both sides of the car behind the window. My doors wouldn't close right and NONE of my windows worked...body was bent, car was totalled. It had 81K origional miles on it, and we only got a lil more then $5K for it.

I only had a concusion, so i was lucky. bottom line is you weren't seriously hurt and cars can be replaced/repaired.

Hope it all works out for you!
That sounds horrible! Yea, you are right-at least I am OK. But in this day and age most people will not stand for getting screwed around by others, especially by attorneys, etc. Hopefully they will get nothing out of this. I'll post up new pic of "Ruby", the mag red Vette when we get her back this week and you can see the new Specter Werks aftermarket bumper on her! Looks pretty good! It seems like people with no Insurance are getting away with too much. Police need to have a scanner right there to see if it's legit or not. I've already decided is someone hits my Spiral Gray Vette, I will personally get out and knock them over the head with my "brick" purse after this experience.

Quick Reply: Got Rear-Ended In '99 Vette (Ughhh!)