Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

03 Z06 clutch going out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 03 Z06 clutch going out?

car's got 35k miles on it, I'm second owner and have had it for about 1k miles. Car is a little tough to get into 2nd, and 1st gear to 2nd gear tends to lurch a little bit. Real hard to get into reverse (sometimes grinds and I have to let the clutch out a little and push back in).

took the car to the track and hot lapped it 3 times, on the third time the clutch wouldn't engage on take off and I had to put it into 4th and abort the run. probably smoked the clutch?

clutch makes a lot of noise (clunk clunk) when I let it in and out of it at low speed in first and decellerate. car is not smooth when decelerating in gear (of course I'm used to autos that have momentum when you let off the gas).

unless I wind the thing to 3k rpms, it seems to lurch when I put it into gear (not smooth) no matter how gentle I slip the clutch. it's my daily driver believe it or not and so far it hasn't barfed on me.

could be low on fluid, haven't checked yet.

am thinking about replacing the clutch with an exedy hyper single disc, throwing in a fotenza flywheel, g2 performance diff with 4.10's, and a hurst billet c5 shifter all at the same time. hopefully I'll pick up a few tenths.

car was slow at the track, 13.1 @ 107 hot off the highway with no cooldown, 95* day with 2.0 60' on new PS2's. 2k rpm launch with some spin, using the clutch to shift (1st to 2nd SUCKS and is slow / hard to grab for some reason). I raced a c6 z06 that ran a best of 12.3 that night on 2.3 60'. Car should be well into the 12's so I'm thinking slipping clutch.

sound about right? good choice on the upgrade parts??

thx,
joe