Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

What are they worth?

Old 09-17-2008, 07:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are they worth?

Well, i've been trying to sell my car for almost a yr now, no luck. is no one interested in a 98' C5 auto roadster that makes 535rwhp and 567rwtq, ALL MOTOR? set up for road racing or drag racing (runs 10s), or just a cruise OR even a daily driver? i mean, its done and mint! and asking under $40K with having spent well over 60K in mods!

Anyways, so.. thinking of parting it out this winter.
My mechanic wants the body/shell. whats it worth minus the motor, trans, rear, cage, all my fancy add ons.

whats the motor worth? 427 C5R block, heavily built, all the best parts, built by DRM. has 6K miles on it. 11.8:1 CR so its built to be N/A

The trans is a built, Level 5 trans, again, all the best parts, built by Chuck at FLP. has only 2K miles on it.

The rear is a Getrag 3.73 gear, cryo treated shaft, again, best of the best. maybe 12K miles on it.

What are these three items worth? i know, its hard to say... anyone have any input?

Also, i would have C5R headlights, full suspension (QA1 shocks, Hotchkis sways), full carbon fiber engine bay covers, ACI lip...a bunch of stuff i could part out for a few grand...

anywho... thoughts, opinions are welcome!
Aj
Old 09-17-2008, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

what its worth section???
Old 09-18-2008, 11:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not been following prices in the classified, but well used parts take a hit in value.

A rear with 12k has only so much appeal; it could have seen a lot of abuse on it.

The level 5 is a nice tranny but to buy it, I'd want a good haircut on the price. Even with just 2k miles, I don't know if you're part throttle tune was slowly burning clutch packs, etc. I'd rather buy a level 3 new and pay a few bucks more. If I needed a level 5 and bought used, I would probably send it back to FLP for inspection and freshening unless I bought from someone I know.

FWIW, $40k seems like a lot. There are some very nicely modified early C5s for $20k - $25k. Maybe yours is really cherry, but above $30k is pretty high for 98 and the market will be small.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont want to come off harsh here. All cars have motor so you pull one out and put one back in it should have a motor so u cant put that on top of the price same with the tranny and any other parts that u replace. You are going to have to take a 80-90% on the mods you made on the car. The only way you could get any of your money back is to put the car back to stock or close to stock and sell all of your parts.

They way i look at it is that modding a car and selling it, is like taking your money to a gentlemen's club. You give it all away and it a really fun at the time but in the end all you get is the memorys.

Sorry to say but your 98 C5 that is worth 18-25k before mods is only worth to buyers if your lucky 19-26K
Old 09-18-2008, 02:15 PM
12 Second Club

Ive seen your car on the forum, and its one of the nicer c5s, If I were you I would try to demod it as best as possible and sell it whole.
But that motor is worth big bucks
Old 09-18-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

i disagree with some others. some people just dont get "to pull one motor and put another in" isnt that easy....on the wallet. granted you dont get your moneys worth in mods, but a 427 prob cost you 12-15k when it was all said and done, and is worlds ahead of a shitty LS1 stock motor...

hold onto it till you get your price, or part it out. i wouldnt let a corvette with 650+ crank HP go for 25....that is just retarded.

and there is always someone willing to buy what you have. just give it time
Old 09-19-2008, 01:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes there is always someone willing to pay for something like what you have, but the market is so small the chances of them finding your add and then having the cash to buy what you have is probably as likely as getting struck by lightning. And as far as what VGLNTE1 says yes it is very expensive I have done it. I had 15k in mods in a car that was worth 12k and i got 13k out of the car. So yes i get it i have been there done that and i have the memory's.

O and a stock crate ls1 motor from summit is 13k. So even if we are talking about apples and oranges we are talking about the same money. Sorry to spoil your fun VGLNTE1
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...M&autoview=sku
Old 09-19-2008, 05:15 AM
Banned

If it is super nice, maybe get it professionally inspected and put it in one of those big auctions like Barrett-Jackson. I think you stand a good chance of getting its market value in front of a bunch of car-savvy enthusiasts rather than in a paper or on the internet.

Chris
Old 09-19-2008, 04:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by goober35
Yes there is always someone willing to pay for something like what you have, but the market is so small the chances of them finding your add and then having the cash to buy what you have is probably as likely as getting struck by lightning. And as far as what VGLNTE1 says yes it is very expensive I have done it. I had 15k in mods in a car that was worth 12k and i got 13k out of the car. So yes i get it i have been there done that and i have the memory's.

O and a stock crate ls1 motor from summit is 13k. So even if we are talking about apples and oranges we are talking about the same money. Sorry to spoil your fun VGLNTE1
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...M&autoview=sku
explain to me why you would spend 13k to put in the same exact engine and every accessory

but who cares, someone always wants to argue..
Old 09-19-2008, 04:07 PM
Banned

Most of the people "yapping" about the C5 market seem like they're on crack.

That car with those modifications IS worth into the 30's easy.... the problem is that banks wont loan out on that year car (unless is a signature loan) so you need a person that has access to serious cash in addition to finance... your market is almost non-existent at that point... and then they have to see your car... bunch of stuff has to line up.

Even if your car was an '03 it would be in the same pickle...

You're stuck with an automatic (why did you build up an auto? and why do you claim it's good for road racing? ) '98 with a crazy mod list.....

Like the guy with a perfect 700+ rwhp GEM that he was trying to sell for around 60k (he had lots more than that in it) not gonna happen... not in today's financial market.

I'm just sick of the little dick lickers thinking the best of the C5's are worth 20's.... get lost.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ~JOSHUA

That car with those modifications IS worth into the 30's easy.... the problem is that banks wont loan out on that year car (unless is a signature loan) so you need a person that has access to serious cash in addition to finance... your market is almost non-existent at that point... and then they have to see your car... bunch of stuff has to line up.

You're stuck with an automatic (why did you build up an auto? and why do you claim it's good for road racing? ) '98 with a crazy mod list.....

Like the guy with a perfect 700+ rwhp GEM that he was trying to sell for around 60k (he had lots more than that in it) not gonna happen... not in today's financial market.

I'm just sick of the little dick lickers thinking the best of the C5's are worth 20's.... get lost.
When a sale is needed from someone who wants a vette, or dealing they want just a vette. KBB/nada value is based on the factory stock car and the mileage, once you start tearing it apart it's not stock anymore, which depreciates the value. What was an original is now hacked up from someone else and how reliable are they? Not really reliable compared to the factory, from dealer/seller eyes.

KBB value for the 98 auto vette is around $15.5K, that's in excellent condition and just 20K miles. Even saying that you put in 60K in mods is scary to a seller.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:13 PM
Banned

Default KBB and edmunds are so far from reality... the results are trash.

^ Kbb can suck a fat sausage... when's the last time you've gone to the autotrader and found ANYTHING that isn't corrupt for less than 18k?

Here's the ad:
Dick suckers that are looking for a stupid bargain.... to bend me over my Corvette for 15k.... or a fully built C5r ($6k cost for block alone) with over 600 hp for maybe $24k.... c'mon big boy, KBB says it's alright.

Get.... lost....
Old 09-19-2008, 05:19 PM
Launching!

I guess lingenfelter, mti, henessey, and everyone else that builds cars and sells them for a shitload is just crazy. We are making the cars better not hacking them up. I agree that once you start asking over blue book on a car that is over 5yrs old it is hard to get financed so they are going to have to atleast come up with the difference in cash plus tt&l. People have a hard enough time coming up with 5-10k for a house downpayment much less a car.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Staging Lane

Get.... lost....
I didn't make up the used car values, don't blame me, I have to follow them too when I'm buying a car.

Modded cars aren't worth crap.

Originally Posted by Nwmembr19
I guess lingenfelter, mti, henessey, and everyone else that builds cars and sells them for a shitload is just crazy.
That is because they have build numbers, saleens are a great example, all documented.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the most contradictory post I've read in a while. First you state the car is worth into the $30's, then point out it is an automatic (negative) and conclude by comparing to another and saying "not gonna happen." Seems like the bottom line is he can't sell it for much above $30k. If he can't find a buyer for more than $30k, that's the value of the car in his hands.

YOU might be able to get more than that; you work at a pretty trick corvette shop. People pay a premium to know your firm is standing behind the car, if at least for 90 days and maybe you can help find financing (or offer it yourself). After all, how do you make money? You find private sellers who can't get top dollar, buy their car (or do it on consignment) and use the assets of the business to create a market for the car at a higher price.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

It sucks but you never get what you put into it out of a modified car....I'd think somewhere in the 30's would be a good place for a highly modified vette of that year. You MIGHT be able to find someone to pay higher, depends on if there vision of a perfect vette is the same as yours.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
explain to me why you would spend 13k to put in the same exact engine and every accessory

but who cares, someone always wants to argue..
You are an idiot and am trying to show you what a buyer would be looking at. But then again you have never sold a modded car and never had to take a hit on all the money you have spent.

And yes i will argue with someone so incompetent as you are in the car world and your lack of knowledge on modded car and the buyers market.

I guess my 5 1/2 years on this bored does not compare to your under a year hear. I guess i have never read a single post on modded cars and watched it sell for lest than a quarter of what the mods where worth.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Like was already mentioned, your car is highly modified and it will take the right buyer. It is a 98 vert w/ an auto as well.... I don't know the details of your car, but someone who is going road racing will not want an auto or a vert...especially if it does not have a roll bar.

Bottom line is you are basically going to lose a lot of your money that went into the mods. I sold my 2000 Vert w/ a 408 stroker (490 hp /490 tq) with 50k miles for $25k. Had it up for sale for a long time and it just took the right buyer and the right price.

Good luck in your sale! Not sure of your goals, but you may have some luck if you are open to trades?
Old 09-21-2008, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis

It's hard to sell modded cars for premium value.

I personally wouldn't pay more than 29K for any C5 now, no matter how modified, and I do love the C5.

I have considered selling mine and starting anew, but I realized I'd have a hard time getting more than mid 20s, so I'm keeping her and will just gut her down the road and go a new build route, maybe all motor next time.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:40 PM
Launching!

first, sorry for no responses, i have been in Vegas since last wed night...

wow...lots of different opinions on this board. i appreciate everyone's responses, it is interested in to read.

To clarify a few things:

Car does have a 6pt roll cage, so it is ready for road racing or drag racing. and by road racing, i did not mean a DEDICATED race car. its one that you could do a couple times a yr, run it hard for a few laps AND drive her home. Drag racing, same thing.

The car has had 60K in MODS alone. not plus the value of the car. so reading everyones responses, saying 50% value plus value of car, that puts me right in the $45K range. im asking less then that.

The motor and tranny are practically new, built by reputable forum vendors. The shop owners know me personally, and have attached a warranty to the build, what more of a peace of mind can you have when buying a heavily modified car.

And to those who believe im ruining the "value" of the car by modding it, i would disagree, if done correctly by a reputable shop, i think it adds value. Everything is double checked and done right the first time. kinda just like the factory (who do sometimes have issues). Things that need to be replaced on a stock car, HAVE been replaced with aftermarket parts worth far more then the stock.

Anywho...im beat, time for sleep!
Vegas 1 ::: 1BADBURB 0

Aj

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What are they worth?