Cammed Z06 Vette... A funny thing happened...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 11:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cammed Z06 Vette... A funny thing happened...

Last night was the first night with the new 4.10s and they dramatically altered the tune set-up, so we didn't get the big numbers I was hoping for, but still had some fun...

There was a Z06 cammed-up vette and a 300 Chrysler running some kind of induction... I'm guessin' blower, but I didn't see it, nor could ya hear it, but somethin' was pushing that dude... both runnin' low 7.8s, high 7.7s.

At one point the announcer started making a HUGE DEAL out of these two cars... He called out for a grudge race between the Vette and the 300, where the Vette lost by .034, due apparently (according to the announcer, due to a slow start by the Vette... I was deep in the lanes and couldn't see it..) But he continuously made a big deal about this Vette...

Well about half way through the night I ended up lining up on this Vette and given that we were runnin' a consistant 7.98-1.78, I was pretty sure the Vette was going to take us down by a 10th and change... but I knew he was prone to late starts and if I had a shot, it was out of the hole; but it would be a good race and a lot of fun, so what the hell...

But a funny thing happened...

As we were staging up, the announcer started going on about how 'the Vette is about to take O'Conner down...' He just kept talking about how the Vette had the advantage... REALLY talking this guy up... So I'm like.. 'LOL... 'schmuck THAT'...

When that third stage light flickers, I give it a half a tick because I didn't want to red-light given all the hoo-hoo on what a trompin' I'm about to get... and I am GONE...

ROFL... I knew dude was screwed when he left my right periphial... since I've learned from hard experience that a 1/10th advantage will not help you recover a win from a crap-start...

Here are the numbers:
Me/Him
RT .6245 - .9496
60' 1.78 - 1.93
330' 5.15 - 5.20
1/8th ET 7.98 - 7.79
Mph 86.57 - 94.24

He was clearly realing me in at the big end, BUT he never came back into my periphial and we took him with a WINNING MARGIN: .1354

And yes... despite the performance deficit, IT WAS SWEET INDEED!

The Vette left the field after that run... where upon I was quite happy to maintain the victory pos...

ROFL... I love this stuff...
Old 01-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Banned

thats kick ***
Old 01-10-2009, 11:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's one very slow cammed z06.

nice kill.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:31 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by s346k
that's one very slow cammed z06.

nice kill.

LOL...

What? Man get serious... This is a 1/8th mile track and a Stock Z06 is going to run high 8s... on street tires; he's a full second faster than stock.

There's a guy from the east coast that brings himself and a half dozen other speedsters over and he runs a black on black Z06 which runs high 6s on slicks, cammed and on the juice and in a town with more fast cars per acre than most places on earth... that's haulin' some serious ***.

My guy lost that run because he had a bad start; probably a guy that didn't start racing until late in life... but of all the things that Vette of his is, SLOW is not one of them. Those cars are geared for top end... but even there... well you saw his numbers; he trapped right at 95 mph over an 1/8th mile... this is a street car, fully loaded, leather, cold air and one of the fastest cars one is likely to see where ever he happens to be sitting, EXCEPT when he is sitting in the pits on bracket night.

So let's give a little respect where it's due... My point was fairly obvious... and it wasn't to disrepsect a driver who pays to enjoy the same thing that everyone on this site pays to enjoy.

Last edited by OVA1; 01-11-2009 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:39 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great job.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:41 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by OVA1
LOL...

What? Man get serious... This is a 1/8th mile track and a Stock Z06 is going to run high 8s... on street tires; he's a full second faster than stock.

There's a guy from the east coast that brings himself and a half dozen other speedsters over and he runs a black on black Z06 which runs high 6s on slicks, cammed and on the juice and in a town with more fast cars per acre than most places on earth... that's haulin' some serious ***.

My guy lost that run because he had a bad start; probably a guy that didn't start racing until late in life... but of all the things that Vette of his is not, SLOW is not one of them. Those cars are geared for top end... but even there... well you saw his numbers; he trapped right at 95 mph over an 1/8th mile... this is a street car, fully loaded, leather, cold air and one of the fastest cars one is likely to see where ever he happens to be sitting, EXCEPT when he is sitting in the pits on bracket night.

So let's give a little respect where it's due... My point was fairly obvious... and it wasn't to disrepsect a driver who pays to enjoy the same thing that everyone on this site pays to enjoy.
that is one SLOWWWWW z06......

Mostly driver it seems,
his mph is almost there...

Nice win
Old 01-11-2009, 08:23 AM
11 Second Club

I dunno, maybe I'm catching you guys wrong here... but that car isn't slow.

I've raced a ton of z06s and my car beats stock Z06s every Friday night and this car is a full second faster... I'm guessin that dude was casual at the stage, he heard the announcer boast on and on about his looming victory and when he saw the she-bitch blast off... he thru the hammer and lit up the rear end... explaining his lame 60' time. But he ran a 7.79 ET and for a Z06 that is a FULL SECOND faster than his stock counterparts. Hells bells, he sat on the green for damn near a second. I had him be 3/10s before he moved... and he reeled half of that back up before he hit the traps.

I guess I am getting the impression that you're saying the Vette was slow, which has to equate to me being slow and I damn well know that's bullshit...

My car is a basically stock Lt-1 with a fresh rebuild, exhaust, cam and a light stall and a set of 4.10s with a completely screwed up tune/setup on this particular night; But normally, she's so slow that she's become the car the local crowd LOVES TO HATE... which is why the announcer made such a big deal about how I was about to get cut-down... because I'm wrapping up one win after the next, Friday after friday at the TNT... I can barely get any street driven cars to stage on us anymore.

She's never run the 1/4, but I'm guessin' we're mid 12s... and that's not 10s, but slow? Come on guys...
Old 01-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

A STOCK 01-04 Z06 will run between 7.7 - 7.9 's on street tires. So yes that is kinda slow. Not saying your car is slow, just the Z06 for the mods it has.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Brad02Z06
A STOCK 01-04 Z06 will run between 7.7 - 7.9 's on street tires. So yes that is kinda slow. Not saying your car is slow, just the Z06 for the mods it has.
love to see a z06 on street tires run a 7.7 bone stock
Old 01-11-2009, 01:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah that vet is sllllllooooowwww...haha

i mean i ran 7.45 when i was SI...sorry i had to give respect where respect was due...jk bud gotta give you a hard time...i know you are pumped for your kill...

way to tree him
Old 01-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jsteele90
love to see a z06 on street tires run a 7.7 bone stock
Have seen it plenty of times, there have been several BONE STOCK C5 Z06's break into the 11's on street tires.

Yes, that is a slow *** vette for the mods, obviously the guy couldn't drive too well. No disrespect to the LT1 but the vette is slow.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:30 PM
11 Second Club

LOL... Brad... I've looked and can't find that little icon of the smiley face holding up a sign that says... "BULLSHIT!"

So that will have to suffice...

This absolutely CRACKS me up... Our track is 9' above sea-level making it one of the fastest 1/8th miles in the country and NO Stock Z06 Vette runs faster than mid 8s...

Of course this is Naples, FL, where you can't throw a dead cat without hitting Z06 Vettes, Roush and Saleen Mustangs, AMG Mercedes, Beemers... Bugattis, Aston Martins, Ferraris, Porshes and any number of exotics such as Lambos and Maserrati... so they're everywhere here. We've already had several GT-R 'Godzillas' running and THEY run high 7s. About the only thing we have yet to see is the ZR-1... my money says inside a month.

So... no disrespect fellas, but stock Z06 Vettes are most decidedly NOT pulling high 7s... if they could do it anywhere... they'd be doing here and that flat ain't happenin'.

Last edited by OVA1; 01-11-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:21 PM
11 Second Club

good run bro.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

man, according to this thread my car is a complete turd. I thought it ran pretty decent but only went 7.7 at 92 in the 1/8th on a 1.81 short time.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

My 02 Z06 BONE STOCK went 7.9 on the stock f1's. It could went faster but the was the one and only time I took the car to the track stock. After head , cam it went 6.9's with stock gears.

My damn Trailblazer ss runs 8.8's bone stock. So your saying it's just as fast a Z06.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:49 PM
11 Second Club

Hey I hear ya Brad... No doubt that Chrysler 300 that also beat that Vette, running 7.7s was clearly struggling as well. Hell... everyone probably runs mid-7s at your track. I imagine it's just some shift in the drag racing cosmos that keeps the stock Z06 Vettes from running mid 7s at Immokalee Regional Speedway, probably the altitude @ 9' over seal level.

You ought to bring that SS or that Vette of yours to Naples... you could be KING!
Old 01-11-2009, 05:51 PM
12 Second Club

Something don't sound quite right about the Z06.. mine runs 8.20's on street tires and 7.80's on DR's at 90 mph at over 3000 ft in West Texas with a cai/catback/tune only. A C5 Z06 can be VERY fast with the right driver and conditions.

Here is the fast list over at CF: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...fast-list.html

Either way, good running LT1!
Old 01-11-2009, 06:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Chris81
Something don't sound quite right about the Z06.. mine runs 8.20's on street tires and 7.80's on DR's at 90 mph at over 3000 ft in West Texas with a cai/catback/tune only. A C5 Z06 can be VERY fast with the right driver and conditions.

Here is the fast list over at CF: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...fast-list.html

Either way, good running LT1!
Thanks for the kudus brother...

(Hold the phone kids... Time-out for a little homey com...)

HEY! I used to live in Midland... My oldest son went to Lee and played with Winston and Benson on the "Three-pete" team... he played baseball as well... How're the Teams holding up lately? Is Midland doing any better? How about Permian? Anyone going to state? The 'New stadium' (that was just getting started when we left...) still holding up?

We lived off Louisinana Avenue, west of Midland Dr.

(Back on topic...)

I'm not saying they're not fast... but we get a ton of vettes running here and they're not in the 7s. This guy is one of the fastest out there, except for the east coaster with the black unit who runs in the high 6s...

It's no biggy to me, I just can't understand why the stockers suck here and are killin' it everywhere else... maybe they're re-badging... I just can't see how it could be so otherwise... 'that's all I'm sayin...'

Last edited by OVA1; 01-11-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by OVA1
Thanks for the kudus brother...

(Hold the phone kids... Time-out for a little homey com...)

HEY! I used to live in Midland... My oldest son went to Lee and played with Winston and Benson on the "Three-pete" team... he played baseball as well... How're the Teams holding up lately? Is Midland doing any better? How about Permian? Anyone going to state? The 'New stadium' (that was just getting started when we left...) still holding up?

We lived over in Louisinana Avenue, off Midland Dr.

(Back on topic...)

I'm not saying they're not fast... but we get a ton of vettes running here and they're not in the 7s. This guy is one of the fastest out there, except for the east coaster with the black unit who runs in the high 6s...

It's no biggy to me, I just can't understand why the stockers suck here and are killin' it everywhere else... 'that's all I'm sayin...'
Sweet! I graduated in 02 from Lee.. I grew up going to school with Eric.. what is your son's name?

None of the teams out here are as good as they used to be, especially Lee as of lately, but really I haven't paid that much attention either. The new stadiums are really nice and always have events going on at them.

I think most of the Vettes your seeing need the driver mod.. out here where I live there are some that don't run for **** with more mods than mine.. lol
Old 01-11-2009, 06:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Chris81
Sweet! I graduated in 02 from Lee.. I grew up going to school with Eric.. what is your son's name?

None of the teams out here are as good as they used to be, especially Lee as of lately, but really I haven't paid that much attention either. The new stadiums are really nice and always have events going on at them.

I think most of the Vettes your seeing need the driver mod.. out here where I live there are some that don't run for **** with more mods than mine.. lol
No ****?... Chris O'Conner was my son's name...

Hey, it's possible... The Vette drivers around here do tend to be older guys... which is ancient to you...

Last edited by OVA1; 01-11-2009 at 06:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Cammed Z06 Vette... A funny thing happened...