06 Z06 first time at the track

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 07:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 06 Z06 first time at the track

Hey guys, I've had the Z for about 4 months and I finally got to take the car to the track. Went to G-ville for a day time TNT on 2-12-11 and it was a good time. This Z is so much harder to launch than my 2001 Z that I had. I know I need to work on the launch but let me know what else you see.

First run out, I was the very first car to go down the track. I left at about 2500 rpms just to get a feel for things. Tires hooked well and the car bogged, nailed all my shifts and pulled around to get my slip. Very first run and I busted out an 11.7 at 121 with a 2.0 60ft. My goal for this trip was just to get into the 11's so I was freaking stoked! I did shift into 4th right at the traps.

Next run was not so great, hotlapped right back into the lanes and pretty much got to go right again. I raised the launch rpm to about 2800 and the car bogged again. When I tryed to shift into 2nd the shifter wouldn't go in. So I missed 2nd, got it back in and pulled off a 12.6 at 119 with a 2.0 60 ft.

I let the car cool down for about half an hour or so and got right back into the lanes. I don't really know what my tire pressure was at because the gauge I brouht broke and the damn one on the car never reads the same as my gauges do. So Im guessing somewhere right around 24-25. Well I launched the at about 3100 rpm's and it bogged but took off and got all the shifts smooth and fast. Time slip said I ran a sweet 11.6 at 124 with a 1.90 60 ft. I didn't shift into 4th that run and guess thats why my mph was higher.

But I hotlapped right back around again, staged up to about 3500 rpm and the car bogged just a little and took off! And this time I had trouble going into third. Just felt like no matter how hard I pushed the shifter wouldn't go in again. Finally got it to go into third and busted out a 12.27 at 120 with a 1.8 60 ft. I wish 3rd would have went just to see what I would have ran.

But for the rest of my runs, I had nothing but issues with doing my burnout and launching. Car all of a sudden started wheel hopping when I was doing my burnout and did it some on my launch. So as soon as it did it on my launch I got out of it and then eased back into it. I tryed to mess around with the tire pressure but since my gauge broke I don't really know what it was. So one run it was too high and it spun bad, ran an 11.9 at 123. Next one wheel hopped after I let air out and it wouldn't shift right again got a 12.27 at 119 again.

Last run of the day, let the car cooled for about an hour and gave it one more shot. Car wheel hopped horribly and busted out an 11.9 at 124.

All in all I was happy with how the day went and how the tires did. I'm sure as soon as I figure out why the car is wheel hopping I will be very happy with them.

I do have some questions:

1st: Why were the clutch and hydraulics acting up like they were when I hotlapped? Obviously because they were hot but what is the culprit behind this issue? What can I do to remedy this problem?

2nd: What would make the car start to wheel hop after it had been running smooth and doing a good burnout all of a sudden? Same questions with this, what is the culprit and how can I fix it?

Thank you for all that respond! I have put a copy of my 11.6 run, please look it over and let me know what yall think and what I can improve on.

Daniel

Old 02-15-2011, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

you need some tires and seat time and it will get better. On the car not wanting to go in gear i would give Johnathan @ Tick Performance a call and talk to them. One of their master cylinders may be just what you need. congrats.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:21 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks but the tires are new nittos nt05rs. The tires hook well and that's why the car was bogging.

Def need more seat time at the track, can't wait to go back.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:57 AM
11 Second Club

for the first time out I think its a real good time. congrats. I say about a 2-3 tenth gain just in seat time.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:15 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks, yea I would love to be able to get into the low 11's with only an intake
Old 02-17-2011, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

next time side step the clutch at about 5500 rpm's and i promise it wont bog,lol. That tire should get you a better 60' than that so play around with air pressure to see what the tire likes best. My MT's like 16 psi cold to hook best. good luck.