2002TAWS6 track experience yesterday not very happy camper!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 08:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 2002TAWS6 track experience yesterday not very happy camper!

I haven't raced at drag strip for like 7 or more years but took my 2002 TA WS6 to one yesterday.

Previously have raced an 80 TA and 96z28 convertible . I ran street tires on the 80 TA but Nitto drag radials on the 96z28 with one run on et street radials but didn't use the water and they were very old et street radials that borrowed from guy for one run. So not really any experience doing burnouts in the water box.

Anyway more details on yesterday.
First the car..
The car is a pretty low mileage car with only 40,000 miles on it.
I went thru the car when got it and did fuel filter, plugs, wires,
belts. For mods the car has SLP lid, K and N filter. Corsa catback and
has been dyno tuned putting out the equivalent of 330 rwhp on dynojet.
I have electric cutout but it wasn't being used at track. Fact it seemed to lose power on the dyno when opened the cutout .

I was running premium fuel. Car seems to be running pretty good.
I got a 13.4 at like 106 mph with think a 2.0 60ft on street tires on my pretty new GTECH Fanatic . Which I thought seemed about right at 1200 feet above seal level but forget now what temp and humidity was that day could have been like 60 degrees or maybe even bit cooler like 50. I only made the one run on the GTECH.

At the track I took out floor mats but left little stuff, cd's, had helmet in the car. Didn't take out jack or spare tire. I weigh 240. And had 3/4 tank of fuel in the car. Front tires were around 38 hot and backs for first run were like 22 and 25 hot. But for the later runs were like 18 hot.
Was running et street radials. Nearly new in terms of tread remaining but about 5 years old in terms of age. Always stored inside.
Do 5 year old et street radials get hard and not work very good?
Was around 80 degrees at the track with about 45% humidity. Track is at 1100 feet above sea level in place called Osoyoos , British Columbia.
There is sand in the pit area /staging lane and sand blows over and onto the track as well. They did supposedly put down VHT on the track yesterday. The track is an old airport runway and its 1/8 mile track.
Most people complain a lot about the tracks traction even with drag tires.

So details..
First run against an truck which guess had a big block engine in it. It was running on drag tires.
I tried to use the waterbox. But wasn't really sure how to. I drove thru the water box then they backed me up into it . I seemed to have a lot of trouble getting them spinning and keeping them spinning.
I am pretty sure that had traction control off. Air off and car was in D for the racing not 3 .Thought put car in 1st and tried to do the burnout as thought read do the burnout in 1st and roll out of the box in second?
I have bought a line lock for the car but its not installed yet.

Again am rookie when it comes to burnouts in the water box.
I have stock stall converter and 3.23 gears. I tried to stall up the car a bit on the line on this run. And as said almost 100% sure traction control was off.

I ran a 9.458 et at 79.33 mph with a 2.447 60ft spinning big time according to onlookers . I didn't care about reaction time and just didn't want to redlight so waited for green and got a 1.103 and understand reaction time has nothing to do with et.
The truck ran 8.848 at 79.95 mph with a 2.200 60ft and .585 reaction time.
Truck won obviously.

Next run did with traction control on. Didn't do any water box burnout . Drove around water box .
Had car in D, air conditioning off. Now my car has D and 3,2,1 no OD like maybe some have?

Was paired against a pretty wicked looking Chevy nomad running drag tires.
I ran a 9.352 at 78.58 with a better 2.304 60ft. My reaction time was better .770.
He ran a 11.40 at 65.81 with a dreadful 3.223 60ft and a .701 reaction time and again know reaction time don't effect et or mph.
I won that round. Felt good to win of course. These were just heads up runs not the bracket part of the day.

Last run was up against a fox body mustang. Car looked pretty serious had race tires .
I ran a 9.747 at 78.43 mph with a pretty awful spinning again 2.642 60ft
but did get my best reaction time of day with a .590 . Traction control was on and didn't try to stall it up much on the line.
Mustang guy ran a 9.813 at 66.99 mph with a 2.185 60ft and .808 reaction time. He wasted me off the line of course and thought was done for but my car really seemed to pour it on in the last 1/3 or so of the track and think if it had gone to 1/4 mile it would have been very ugly for the mustang guy. Supposed the mustang had a dropped in 428 ? My buddy went and talked to the guy in the pits bit later on in the day. Guess he was shocked to lose to my near stock firebird.
So second win for my 2002 TA.

So course lots of questions. Also there was a 1999 formula running there that day. He was stock with flowmaster muffler. Guy was pretty light would think about 50 pounds or so lighter than me. I weigh as said 240.
Not much idea on his gears, etc. He was on street tires. Most of his runs were not any better than mine with lots of spinning but he did run a very similar run to me with one 2.3 60ft run.

This place has no time clocks on the track. You get a printed slip after your run and it does show of course reaction time, 60ft ,et and mph. Because of this and didn't seem many peoples slips not sure if anyone was getting any good 60fts at this track. If people were getting like a 1.8 or better much at all. I would have thought I should be able to get consistent 2.0's for sure and maybe some 1.8.
I forgot to mention have a lot of suspension mods . I have umi lower control arms and panhard. Realize panhard don't do anything for drag racing .
I have adjustable lower control arm brackets think in bottom hole? think have three holes to choose from. I have kyb adjustable shocks but front and back were set very soft like 2 out of 8 setting for comfortable street use.
I didn't reset for the track . Likely should have cranked up the back shocks. And maybe put the fronts at 1?
I have non adjustable umi torque arm as well. Car is stock height with stock springs.
Car seems to hook well on the street and can get like repeated 2.0 60fts on street tires on my GTECH. Didn't try the GTECH out with the et street radials but would think those would dead hook at my power level on the street.
Is it that much easier to hook on the street than most tracks?

So questions and observations.
Seems like my mph was pretty consistent on all three runs. Car just don't seem to be able to muster more than 7x mph.
And of course my times work out to a pretty pathetic 1/4 mile times
like mid to high 14s..!
Was really expecting to see low 13s or even a high 12 on the et street radials based on my GTECH 1/4 mile run. The newest GTECHS use GPS and are pretty accurate . I was going to run it down the track at same time and should have to compare it to time clocks.

Anyway see if could have got 2.0 60ft or maybe a 1.8 of course would have been in the 13s. so the 60ft is most of the problem.
Think the car is running ok but thought the mph was still a bit weak. Do these cars pick up quite a bit when running from 1/8 to 1/4. My car really seemed to come on strong in the last part of the 1/8 mile. maybe because of the 3.23 gearing?

And is what I heard the proper way to do water box burnout. Start in first hammer it to like 5000 then put it into 2nd and burn them until you see smoke for few seconds. then roll out in 2nd .
and what air pressure is good for those et street radials? was 18 or so hot too low, still too high?
Should I for sure have traction control off? Any point in trying to manually shift the car? The rpm limits have not been touched nor did any computer tuning to the transmission only played with fuel and spark and don't think had any knock retard happening.

So comments and observations are welcome. I had big fun and it was great to get back in the saddle again on the track but less than thrilled with turning what to me are numbers similar to what my old 96 z28 vert was turning . Course that car had stall ,catback, air intake and some tuning and was running at a different track with similar elevation and various temperatures and was getting like 2.0 or close to 2.0 60fts on the nitto drag radials .
Seriously wasn't prepared to see these 14 second runs from a LS1 car.
I have never run my 99 Twin turbo at track even when it was stock so no real comparison there to be had there.
Other points of interest maybe is the staging lanes lineups were super long and did have to keep starting the car all the time . And didn't really get any break between the runs as went right back to staging lanes after each run. No hood up. No ice on the intake which thought didn't help ls1 anyway?

Last edited by MY99TAWS6; 05-25-2015 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Ok used a conversion calculator and this is what it gave me:
1/4 Mile ET is 14.61 seconds computed from your vehicle 1/8th ET of 9.35 seconds.
1/4 Mile MPH is 97.44 MPH computed from your vehicle 1/8th MPH of 78.58 MPH.

So while my mph was consistent it also seems to be like 8mph slower than what should be getting or what saw on the GTECH 1/4 mile run . Can the temps of around 80 drop mph that much over the GTECH run that think was done on like a 50 or 60 degree day?
45% isn't really that high humidity was it? And both the 1/4 mile GTECH and race track runs were at like 1100 feet altitude.

Car seems to be running good not laying down up top. But 97 mph is like a LT1 MPH.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:56 PM
12 Second Club

Something is seriously off particularly with your whp, trap speed. I'm at a track that is at the same altitude, higher da typically, and furthermore uphill. Most stock f bodies run 80 - 81mph typically (not good air). I'd double check on the density altitude. I would think your car should trap higher.

On to your tires. Is there any dry rot/cracking on them? You should have a 1.9 - 2.0 60'. With a better stall and line lock you will cut your 60' down considerably.

I'd go back again. Maybe your times will improve. Oh, and please turn off your traction control. It kills power if it detects any wheelspin.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

60 ft is awful. That needs work. Good set of tires, burnout, and don't stall it up just stab the gas. I bet it improve a lot.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:32 AM
TECH Veteran

I will take a good look at my tires. They have next to no miles on them but are around 5 years or so old. Always kept in garage but not a heated garage.

It is appearing that the car is down on power from looking at the mph.
But the car isn't throwing any check engine lights. Was dyno tuned last season and was putting down 300 rwhp on dyno dynamix dyno which is supposed to be like 10% lower than dynojet . So that would give 330rwhp which sounds about right with my mods. Dyno tune, lid and k and n , corsa catback.
I don't have way to scan for knock during the runs . I used to have a thing called LS1 scanmaster but think got lost in my move . I have seen cars lose quite a bit to knock retard. I was running premium fuel . My o2s were replaced last year and did plugs with ngk iridiums and put in msd wires. As said car has only 40,000 miles on it.
I am still running catted ypipe .
Clogged cats can of course really hurt power or a blocked up exhaust .
I have a cutout on the car electric one but wasn't opening it at the track as wasn't finished wiring it up. I will do that shortly and maybe run some GTECH 1/8 miles or 1/4 miles to see if the muffler is giving me any restriction problems. Can maybe also hook up a vacuum gauge to the motor but not sure where to get vacuum signal from.
Fuel filter was changed out recently .Doubt have a fuel problem .
And again no check engine lights . Engine idles not too bad think all ls1 have little bit of miss type sound at idle.

I wish had been able to look at the runs that 1999 Formual ran there. I could see what he was getting for mph. He was on street tires . And just flowmaster catback no other mods. He lives in my city but didn't get his name. Should have.
He was the only other similar car there but would be good to look at other peoples 60fts to see if they were getting traction . Some guys seemed to be hooking not too bad but the cars that ran against me didn't break under 2.0 either. And they were not on street tires .
Not sure how to find out what Density air was at the track.
All I have for info is that the track is 1100 feet alititude . Temps were 78 to 80 degrees
and humidty was around 45% when first checked it . But we did have a storm rolling in around my last run and it might have gone higher.
How much would having traction control off hurt mph in the last two runs? but did have it off on the first run pretty sure had it off and that first run mph wasn't much better than the other two mph's.

I was reading maybe should take off my lower control arm relocation brackets. That they might be causing the car to hit the tires too hard?
I am not lowered so probably don't need them. And they are in the lowest hole.
My torque arm is non adjustable type. I could crank up my back shocks next time and set the fronts super soft or can set right back and left back staggered a bit as well.
and could take about another 50 or so pounds out by removing jack and spare .
Not sure on raceweight . I am 240 and have added heavy triangular umi subframe connectors, shock tower brace . Sway bars and panhard and lower control arms and don't think any of that is the lighter moly stuff . And should have maybe ran 1/4 tank but ran 3/4 tank. And my back mags are heavy as well 17 inch torque thrust m's.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:45 AM
12 Second Club

http://airdensityonline.com/tracks/

This site lists density altitude for almost all tracks, per day. Heat plays a factor, as I've seen a 2mph difference in trap speed in warmer weather.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:39 AM
TECH Veteran

This track is actually an airport runway that is only used a few times a year and is in Canada so don't think their will be density info available for it. I guess could buy a device that gave barometer reading and figure out what it was myself.

The only info have is it was around 80 degrees ,track is 1100 feet above sea level and humidity was around 45% .

I really wish would have looked at the time slips for the 1999 Formula that was there. He was also and auto so would have been a good comparison . Lighter car but I have bit more mods.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume a .020 is good for my second night Drag Racing? In 5 runs I averaged between that and .050
Old 08-28-2016, 10:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

If you're pulling 2.4-2.6 60's you can throw your slips away because they're meaningless.

But as a general guideline, .1 of 60' is worth 1.5-2 tenths in the 1/4. And my car always gains mph with traction.

Quick Reply: 2002TAWS6 track experience yesterday not very happy camper!