First track day with Th400.....very disappointing. (Video inside)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't remember from your build thread, are you running an aftermarket bellhousing, or a shield at least? Trans blanket? Just curious, hate to see something bad happen, you make a good bit of horsepower!
Old 03-13-2017, 07:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by B18B1LS1
Can't remember from your build thread, are you running an aftermarket bellhousing, or a shield at least? Trans blanket? Just curious, hate to see something bad happen, you make a good bit of horsepower!
Factory bellhousing. I kinda wish I did have a blanket on it, but then again I wonder how many drum explosions are the direct result of doing retarded stuff like throwing the thing in neutral at 120+. Along with using cheap flywheels. But yes, i have thought about dropping it and putting a shield on it though.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:53 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I do not have your power but the track was working for me, 60 foot times were in the 1.4s all day. Regarding protection from the trans it is always a good idea. Once I went to a stall and started using the brake a shield went on when trans went in! You will get it where you want it takes time.

​​​​​N2
​​​​​​
Old 03-14-2017, 07:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by N2RACINGLS1's
Well I do not have your power but the track was working for me, 60 foot times were in the 1.4s all day. Regarding protection from the trans it is always a good idea. Once I went to a stall and started using the brake a shield went on when trans went in! You will get it where you want it takes time.

​​​​​N2
​​​​​​
We're you driving the car in your profile pic? Wondering if we may have spoke.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:03 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes was pitted where you parked about 1/8 from starting line. We did speak, thanks for letting me check out your car!

N2
Old 03-14-2017, 08:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by N2RACINGLS1's
Yes was pitted where you parked about 1/8 from starting line.
You had the AFR Headed car that ran mid 10s before the gas? If so, I remember you....and that's a good running car for sure.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
Factory bellhousing. I kinda wish I did have a blanket on it, but then again I wonder how many drum explosions are the direct result of doing retarded stuff like throwing the thing in neutral at 120+. Along with using cheap flywheels. But yes, i have thought about dropping it and putting a shield on it though.
Dude you're nuts. At least throw a cheap RCI blanket around it, fits easier than any shield, I did mine after the transmission was installed. And if the drum does explode, the blanket does contain most of it..
Old 03-18-2017, 10:46 AM
8 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I noticed in the 2nd pass video,(couldn't see the 1st pass) that you didn't get any heat in the tires on the burnout. I used to hold my T/A about 5 seconds after I would see smoke when I ran Nittos and they worked great for what the car was. They still won't hold much boost, but at least it will get you out of the hole a little better until you upgrade. Put a rear under that car with some real tires and it will rock.

You can't really compare to your old setup right now because you are throwing away the main advantage of the auto which is a killer launch! A good set of 275 pro M/T or Hoosier drag radials with a TB launch in boost and it will be a whole different car.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ratical
I noticed in the 2nd pass video,(couldn't see the 1st pass) that you didn't get any heat in the tires on the burnout. I used to hold my T/A about 5 seconds after I would see smoke when I ran Nittos and they worked great for what the car was. They still won't hold much boost, but at least it will get you out of the hole a little better until you upgrade. Put a rear under that car with some real tires and it will rock.

You can't really compare to your old setup right now because you are throwing away the main advantage of the auto which is a killer launch! A good set of 275 pro M/T or Hoosier drag radials with a TB launch in boost and it will be a whole different car.
I can see what you mean. Only reason I don't do big burnouts is, with street tires...a big burnout will make the problem worse. But yeah, when the Tbrake can be employed.....it's play time! Sweet car in your sig btw.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:09 PM
8 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank you. I can't wait to get to the track this year and get those times down myself!

Quick Reply: First track day with Th400.....very disappointing. (Video inside)