swap to 02 heads void cam only

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 10:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default swap to 02 heads void cam only

i have the shitty 98 perimeter heads, if i was to swap to stock 02 heads and i go cam only would that be against the rules, even though the heads are stock. I just want a better head on the car, but i want to be considered cam only. Cause i can see now someone saying well you did swap to 02 heads.

Marco
Old 02-13-2005, 10:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you swapped to stock heads, sure, but the problem is peoples assumptions and level of trust, which is what the SI and cam-only "records" are all about. For example, if SMOKIN01TA had, at some time, swapped to different heads, right about now he'd be accused of doing some milling, porting, valve job, etc, nobody would have believed that the heads were still stock. If you run any times better han the "average" cam-only car, you'll always have the naysayers and doubters, ESPECIALLY if your heads have been off, its much too easy to mill them .050, or have a killer valve job done, etc....

Shawn
Old 02-13-2005, 10:35 AM
TECH Junkie

I dont plan on going for the cam only record, but my goal is low 11's cam only. I just want the better head design on my car. No plan to touch them.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SPANKY LS1
If you swapped to stock heads, sure, but the problem is peoples assumptions and level of trust, which is what the SI and cam-only "records" are all about. For example, if SMOKIN01TA had, at some time, swapped to different heads, right about now he'd be accused of doing some milling, porting, valve job, etc, nobody would have believed that the heads were still stock. If you run any times better han the "average" cam-only car, you'll always have the naysayers and doubters, ESPECIALLY if your heads have been off, its much too easy to mill them .050, or have a killer valve job done, etc....

Shawn
thats why i love my 01 heads, had no reason to pull them yet, still on stock bolts and gaskets.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:29 PM
SSU Moderator

Its just the internet. Hell, Jason from Thunder had Comp 915's during a "stock internal" period and no one really cared because he didn't rev the crap out of the motor and everyone trusts him. And his 'cam only' times I believe were on a rebuilt motor (cut ls6 pistons, 01+ heads, etc, etc.).
Old 02-14-2005, 10:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RyanJ
Its just the internet. Hell, Jason from Thunder had Comp 915's during a "stock internal" period and no one really cared because he didn't rev the crap out of the motor and everyone trusts him. And his 'cam only' times I believe were on a rebuilt motor (cut ls6 pistons, 01+ heads, etc, etc.).
From what Jason said his cam only motor was only a stock rebuild, nothing out of the ordinary.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BlueSix
From what Jason said his cam only motor was only a stock rebuild, nothing out of the ordinary.
yep, stock rods piston and crank, just had new bearings and rings, nothing special, just well assembled, it was stock 241 heads like i have on my car from the factory.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:54 PM
I can shift faster than you.

The "cam only" motor that was in my car was nothing special. Stock pistons/rods/crank with new rings/bearings and stock 241 castings. The pistons were not flycut, but did have a few "notches" on them after some rather LARGE cam testing. lol

Jason
Old 02-15-2005, 02:05 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SPANKY LS1

Shawn
Thats when you give them a big.....

F U
Old 02-15-2005, 08:56 AM
SSU Moderator

Yes, I know Jason's motor was nothing special. That's exactly what I was saying. The only thing stopping anyone from rebuilding or "adjusting" these internet records and rules is trust. If I went out and went 10's in my auto with only a cam...on a rebuilt shortblock and fresh 241 heads...I would get flamed out of my chair. Because the trust isn't there. That's what I'm saying.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Veteran

ill be happy to pull mine out and tear it down for anyone that has a big pocket book to put up for when i prove them wrong. that way i can finish the car for free.