my 1st day at the track this year

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default my 1st day at the track this year

My first day at the track didn't go so well. First off I went by myself. NO help and that Sux. Ran a new best of a 9.81 @ 138.31 with a strong cross wind on the first pass. That was good in a way but I know I could have done better.

I tightened up the limiters from 3" to 2" for my first run and that was a mistake. (Next racing put the fear of launching into me) Thanks a million Eric I had an extra pound of air in the slicks too which didn't help the short time any. My short time was only a 1.37 with practically NO wheel stand at all.

"Back in the pits" I adjusted the limiters back to 3" and took a click out of the front and rear hals. Gassed up and was ready to go for the 2nd round of TNT. The announcer called the slick cars to the staging lanes. I hopped in the car, fired it up and all of a sudden the idle rpms jumped to about 3800. Dang, I thought the throttle cable stuck but that wasn't the case. I checked all the bolts on the new TB and intake install and they were tight. So I figured I either blew an intake gasket or my IAC sensor went bad. Bummer, I wasn't about to stage the car reving like it was so I put the car in the trailer and went home.

I came down from the office with my brother a short time ago and I put a piece of sheet metal over the TB opening after I fired the car up and it kept on running AAAHHHHH a blown intake gasket. I put my finger over several areas where the top portion of the intake meets the bottom portion and in the front of the intake I got the engine to stall. Took the top portion off and the gasket material got sucked in a little. Good news is, it is an easy fix. Bad news is I only got 1 tnt pass. Oh well thats drag racing.

Weather looks good for next week and I'll go to the track on saturday TNT and Sunday regular racing and the 1st IHRA points series day.

BTW my first light of the season was a .012

Well back to bidding jobs.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I see is a new personal best on a strangled launch. This car just flys and he does it all NA
Old 05-02-2005, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by next
All I see is a new personal best on a strangled launch. This car just flys and he does it all NA
Thanks Eric. Strangled is the word for it.

I gotta tell you the guy I raced for TNT ran a 10.85 or something like that and he came over to me in the pits and told me what a sleeper I had. He said he thought by the looks of my car he had me covered he he WRONG
Old 05-02-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Junkie

That is the best part of the story!!!!
Old 05-02-2005, 05:04 PM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep at it brother. Things are going to turned for the better next weekend for ya. Nice light by the way.

Coach
Old 05-02-2005, 07:13 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tom the roofer

I gotta tell you the guy I raced for TNT ran a 10.85 or something like that and he came over to me in the pits and told me what a sleeper I had. He said he thought by the looks of my car he had me covered he he WRONG
That's priceless.I'm suprised he didn't look around for a bottle.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:37 PM
7 Second Club

nice times Tom! I'm sure you were happy to get out and run again, problems or not.

Update the sig man!

Derek
Old 05-02-2005, 07:49 PM
9 Second Club

Congrats Tom, new best first day out is a good sign if things to come..
Old 05-02-2005, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks drag racing brothers

Eric, shoulda seen the look on his face.

Coach, I knew you would like the R/T brother. I can chop the tree down when I put my mind to it.

Dave, he did look. I showed him the plugged nitrous ports on the intake. He asked me " where does a feller get an engine built like that?" I told him SAM built it for me. He asked "SAM who?"

Derek, I sure was happy to get out and race. I haven't taken a rip down the track since october of 04. I was pretty anxious and thats why I strangled the suspension. I had a good time problems or not.

Thanks Joe. I'm looking forward to a successful season.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL...SAM who!

Quick Reply: my 1st day at the track this year