Help cutting 60's

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help cutting 60's

I'm a crappy driver, I know. . . but I've only been driving RWD manuals for like 4 months.

I've been going to the track and can't seem to cut better than a 2.3 60' on street tires. I either spin or bog. . . or both (spin, let off, bog). Any advice?

I've only got about 5 runs total under my belt with this car, but the best I've managed is a 14.3 (lightly modified LT1) and I'm only trapping about 99MPH. Any advice for a n00b?

Drag radials are out. . . too spendy and I don't want to break my 10-bolt :loL:
Old 05-05-2006, 10:43 AM
Doc
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by dafriezez28
If you never try anything new....
If you do the same thing over and over and expect something different to happen...
If you buy a muscle car and push it to it's limits you'll have fun-for a while.
If you buy a muscle car and complain about gas milage- you should have bought a honda.
Nothing in life is free. You want to play- your'e going to have to pay eventually.
Get more traction, more traction will hurry the demise of the rear end, get stronger rear end, it's a never ending cycle that gives you something to do other than sit around and bitch about gas prices.
Start with better traction.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:36 AM
12 Second Club

don't worry about it man. Keep practicing. My first couple times at the track I kept getting 2.3-2.4's and now I am slowing getting 2.1's. I am still on stock tires.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

Just takes practice, and learning whats works for your car !
Old 05-05-2006, 11:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dafriezez28
I'm a crappy driver, I know. . . but I've only been driving RWD manuals for like 4 months.

I've been going to the track and can't seem to cut better than a 2.3 60' on street tires. I either spin or bog. . . or both (spin, let off, bog). Any advice?

I've only got about 5 runs total under my belt with this car, but the best I've managed is a 14.3 (lightly modified LT1) and I'm only trapping about 99MPH. Any advice for a n00b?

If you don't want to spend anything then the only thing you can do is just practice. Oh yeah, and play around with your tire pressures.

If your ready to spend some money, I would try in this order:

1) Get some ET streets
2) BMR lower control arms
3) BMR adjustable torque arm
4) Stall converter
Old 05-05-2006, 12:50 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 408WS6
If you don't want to spend anything then the only thing you can do is just practice. Oh yeah, and play around with your tire pressures.

If your ready to spend some money, I would try in this order:

1) Get some ET streets
1.1) GET A REAR END GIRDLE
2) BMR lower control arms
3) BMR adjustable torque arm
4) Stall converter - I think he has an M6

Sorry, but had to correct your post.

Sounds like he's on a budget (who isn't?), so a rear end girdle is cheap insurance. My 10 bolt in my '94 Z28 lived for years and hundreds of passes with a girdle. My car is an A4 which makes a big difference, but a girdle will certainly be a good idea.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:57 PM
10 Second Club

Don't feel bad man. I am on nittos and can't get better than a 2.0 60' babying the car out of the whole. And I have a heads and cam ls1. I forgot ot mention I am not but sixteen. Anyways just try to keep your revs up and slip out on the clutch and then get in it. Also street tires don't like a big burnout, just enough to clean the tires off.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you want to run you need to come off some cash. it looks like you have a m6 car from your sig. you need to mod the suspenchion,12 bolt,gear and a slick to hold. i cut 1.4 60's motor(1.3's on nos) on a 6 speed car comming out of the hole at 6,500 to 6,700 rpm's pulling the wheels off the ground. if your on stock tires or nittos,for get it....they all suck. spend some cash or learn to deal with the way things are. goodluck to ya bro.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

EEks. . . I think I just need more practice.

Who said anything about gas prices????

As for slipping the clutch, I can't seem to do it. . . I've done it on other cars, but this Centerforce is just like on/off. The car's mostly stock... CAI, flows, udp, and a short-throw. . . but the tires are getting pretty bald and I could use a new set.

I appreciate the help from all you guys :-) I just need more practice and I wish I knew how to launch w/o spinning too much or bogging too bad. I guess I'll get a few more runs in at Bremerton tomorrow and see what she's got in her!
Old 05-05-2006, 11:38 PM
10 Second Club

avoid the water box on street tires
Old 05-06-2006, 01:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly you shouldn't even come remotely close to breaking the 10 bolt with your power level and drag radials. Maybe with slicks you could, but i'd imagine your pushing maybe 270whp. That isn't bad, but you ain't gonna break the 10 bolt with that power.

Most of the guys with good 60' times have gears. Just launch the car at idle and roll into it. I have yet to get new times for my car (Previous best on street tires w/ 3.42's was 2.2). I know I can cut around a 2.1 sec. 60' on street tires right now, based on how bad i've been decimating people that I would normally be tied with at the 60' mark.

Don't fear the gear is my opinion. Also you need to work on some of the suspension components. Get some air bags, drag shocks, etc.. and you'll see sick times. Remember that track prep is the key alot of times. So complain to the track officials about needing to spray some VHT :p

Quick Reply: Help cutting 60's