sponsored cars here please

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default sponsored cars here please

Ok does any one from here has sponsors, and would like to give out tips to new people like me searching for sponsors.

With the time I had spent over $20,000 worth of mods.And I had realise that this sport is not ship

I'm going to race my car for the next coming season. And I would like to get some sponsors to support me either finacially, labor or parts.

The thing is I dont know what to ask for, I know what my car needs.
Do I make a list of what I need, and let them pick ?

And also wich sides are more important to place the sponsor stickers.

Any input is welcome thanks
Old 07-15-2006, 12:37 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to win some races first, then look for sponsors. If it was as easy as just calling them up and saying "I'm gonna race, give me stuff.", we'd all be sponsored.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:38 PM
9 Second Club

Best way to start is to have a shop wanna take interest in your car (because it's light and you can drive) to put their product on so you can show what their stuff can do, basically you'd probably pay for the parts and the labor would be free. After that you really gotta be good to get some $$$ for something you "might" win.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

Well thats what I had planed,The 22nd of this month I'm taking the car to Sacramento raceway and video tape the runs.Then after that go and talk to some sponsors.

what I want to do that day is try and run cosistent
Old 07-16-2006, 07:05 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I've been racing radio controlled cars for over 15 years, and over that time I ahve ahd several sponsors, raging from discounted product, to full 100% free product and paying for entry fees and that sort of thing.

How it works for that stuff, is pretty much like all racing. First, you have to prove that you are someone that people are gonna watch.. you have to win races, or at least lake it to the finals on a consistant basis. I did tha for 2 years before I picked up my first sponsor, to give you an idea how long it can take. ONce you have gotten to a level where you are winning and making finals, you are about 1/2 way ther. You also have to be an approachable person that is willing to help people, someone that's accessable, (ie can be reached by people that are inquiring about your car, setup, that type of thing.. you'd be surprised how many phone calls you will get if you're doing somethign impressive) and of course, you have to be able to put the products taht your sponsor sells/makes on your car and have good results with them. You might be able to find a $ backer, like a towing company or something like that, some guys I knwo that do circle track stuff with real cars have ins with that type of thing as they just want the name plastered on teh car for people to see.

It's not an easy thing to do.. and will take alot of success before you should really have any hope of finding a sponsor. Just because you have spent 20K doesn't mean you deserve, or should have a sponsor. One thign I hope you have done is buy most of your parts thru the same place, this usually gets you in with a shop that will help you out.. sending customers to the place you've bought alot fo your stuff also usually helps.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:58 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, whats your name? I was heavy into R/C racing for several years when I was younger. Never got sponsored but I did get accused of cheating by some Associated guys at a race in northern Indiana because I was beating a few of them and I was like 14. I got tech'd, wasn't cheating, and almost got 2nd place in the A-main but I broke a shock tower. Felt good to be on that level, especially at a track I'd never been to before. But then I got into real cars. Should have stuck with it. If there was a track here I'd still be racing.

BTW, to the original poster, I've spent way more $$$$ than you have and I'm not really competitive in any class, maybe on a local level, but not anything really professional. Money doesn't equal fast or good. In fact, there are a few sponsored guys I know of who actually have very little (relatively speaking) invested. But they know how to drive and set up a car. Some of the cam-only guys come to mind.

Good luck either way!
Old 07-16-2006, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

yeap you guys are correct all the way. But I'm honestly passionet abut drag racing. I hope I do good,But now that I have invested all this money on my car. If I do good at the track, sponsors will see that my car is not just another tipical camaro. Meaning a stock car. so that might give a little help right there.

And I didnt invest all this money in my car to get sponsored, I invested becasue this is what I really like. The sponsor stuff just came up, and if I can get some help trough them. then thats great, if not then I just do it my self.

But I honestly thank you guys for your coments and suggestions.I will keep you guys informed on what happends.thanks guys
Old 07-16-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sponsors don't always look for the fastest or most consistent dog out there, although it greatly helps. a GOOD sponsor with any insight at all will pay close attention to the setup of the car which you are responsible for, maybe not how fast it is, but what it runs in comparison to what is done. POTENTIAL (especially in people) isn't easily seen, but definitely pays off when given a chance to shine.
Old 07-16-2006, 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

Sponsors want a car that wins and is appealing to the crowd. They want the advertising in exchange for their service so they benefit also. Keep the car looking good and go out and win some and you may find a sponsor. I agree with the above statement that a reputable shop that helps you with your endeavor is the best start.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:25 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TS6
Hey, whats your name? I was heavy into R/C racing for several years when I was younger. Never got sponsored but I did get accused of cheating by some Associated guys at a race in northern Indiana because I was beating a few of them and I was like 14. I got tech'd, wasn't cheating, and almost got 2nd place in the A-main but I broke a shock tower. Felt good to be on that level, especially at a track I'd never been to before. But then I got into real cars. Should have stuck with it. If there was a track here I'd still be racing.
Jason Lambert. I've raced for mighty motors back in the day, bsr tires when they were first getting into the foam tire business, ran for trinity/trc for a few years, now run for fusion batteries, and have a few other guys that I get a good deal with. I found I have better luck when not being tied to one single car/motor//tire setup... the batteries these days are pretty much the same, as long as you can get good ones you are o.k. Plus, my racing schedule is pretty low compared to how it was for a long time, so I don't need the support now like I did when I was going to a big race at least once every 3 weeks, and club racing/testing stuff every week.

Take this to PM if need be, I'm an oval guy, but we're the ones that find the ways to make horsepower, as we can use 110% of what we can make.. and it just trickles down to the other classes.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sponsors look for cars that go to events and win or are very influential to many people, have a car that alot of people notice or have a car that runs about what anyone has done so far. i did most of that at all times which is how i picked up mine, you need a hell of alot more than a modified car to get a sponsor.

ive only ran 3 major races but i had the #1 car in that class in all 3 races and i pushed for new achievements, got the car in magazines, once you get that happening they see a opportunity for exposure
Old 07-17-2006, 01:16 AM
On The Tree

I had spent at least 2 years doing mayor mods, and i'm done yet. But I had change my mind, I'm going to start racing my car getting to no how it reacts now. Since now I had gone with an 402 ls2 9'' w/4.30's. I'm just going to race the car but I'm going to waith till next season to actually get in the competition