help! my 60ft's suck!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 12:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help! my 60ft's suck!!!

I took my car to the track tonight for the first time with the new tires, i got Kuhmo Ecsta's, i know they're not dragstrip tires but i still can't get any better 60's i seem to hover around the 2.30 area, anyone got any good advice for launching an M6? any help is appreciated, thanx--
Old 07-22-2006, 10:37 PM
12 Second Club

try rolling out of the gates and slowly lay on the gas,, ull find a happy medium and get those 60' down to around 2.0-2.1. or throw on a set of drag radials and you should be 1.8-2.0
Old 07-23-2006, 02:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gears, gears, gears. The 3.42 gearing is too long in my opinion. Slap in some 4.10's, and just get off the line at 1300rpms. Roll into throttle, and then 15 feet out roll into it heavy. You'll cut a 2.1 sec. 60' on street tires, or less (Depends on track prep). Little things help out too, such as a panhard bar, lower control arms, torque arm, etc...

I found the 3.42's to be lacking.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran a 2.195 sec 60ft on crappy wore out eagle f1s spinning all through first and part of 2nd in a stock '01 z28 m6.

Nasty wheel hop though. A guy at the track with pretty much the same setup said that LCA's will take care of a lot of hop and greatly improve 60ft times
Old 07-23-2006, 04:14 PM
11 Second Club

with my Nitto 555Rs at 15 psi I dump the clutch at 3000 RPMs and get 1.9 60's with my 2002 Z28 with only an airlid and running some 100 octane mixed with the 91. I was pulling 8.33s in the 1/8 all night long.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:27 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LSGunZ28
with my Nitto 555Rs at 15 psi I dump the clutch at 3000 RPMs and get 1.9 60's with my 2002 Z28 with only an airlid and running some 100 octane mixed with the 91. I was pulling 8.33s in the 1/8 all night long.

You're wasting money using that 100 octane, you don't need it.

Here's the proper technique for launching on radials, although I would never use them, its like having sex with 12 condoms on. Why bother? If you're gonna do it, do it right and use sticky tires. Anyway......

DO NOT do a burnout. This only makes the tires greasy and does not promote traction. If you think it does, your cars either too slow to matter or you're a bad driver. You only need to do a quick spin-NOT IN THE WATER BOX- to clean rocks and stuff off the tires. Also, dropping air pressue in you tires doesn't help, it just cups the tread, making the contact patch smaller.

For launching an M6: After doing the above, stage the car. Now this part will take some trial and error: You want to bring the rpm's up (probably around 1500 rpm) and on the last amber, drop the clutch. The car won't spin, but may bog. You want to find the highest rpm where the car doesn't spin. Of course, this means it will bog slightly. When the car just begins to nose over after the bog, lay into the throttle. Powershift if you can, but you may break tires on the 1-2 shift.

So there you go. I was able to cut some 1.9-2.0 short times way back in the day on cheap street tires. Some have done better, and on a well prepped track you can see 1.8 and even 1.7. My track sucked most of the time.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i pretty much do everything you said above, i'd avoid the water box if i could but the thing is, at our track you can't-they spray down the whole entrance to the staging lane so you have to drive thru it, i won't powershift my car, its my daily driver an i dont want to damage the trans. i guess i'll just have to keep practicing, thanx for the replies
Old 07-27-2006, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Daredevil_TA
i pretty much do everything you said above, i'd avoid the water box if i could but the thing is, at our track you can't-they spray down the whole entrance to the staging lane so you have to drive thru it, i won't powershift my car, its my daily driver an i dont want to damage the trans. i guess i'll just have to keep practicing, thanx for the replies
To be honest with you, it's going to break sooner or later.

What's better? To be disappointed ever time you to to the track, or to be disappointed when it finally breaks?

Ben T.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

whats smarter?....powershifting an destroying the transmission now? or using the clutch an driving it the right way making it last longer, untill i can get a much stronger transmission with better shift forks.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:47 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Daredevil_TA
whats smarter?....powershifting an destroying the transmission now? or using the clutch an driving it the right way making it last longer, untill i can get a much stronger transmission with better shift forks.

You tell us, you're the only one who knows your budget. Honestly, I wouldn't powershift it. Although if done properly it shouldn't hurt the tranny if done every so often. I just don't think your cars fast enough to warrant such abuse, no offense. It isn't like powershifting will make it bust 10's.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by TS6
You tell us, you're the only one who knows your budget. Honestly, I wouldn't powershift it. Although if done properly it shouldn't hurt the tranny if done every so often. I just don't think your cars fast enough to warrant such abuse, no offense. It isn't like powershifting will make it bust 10's.

Agreed. You may not have to powershift, but shifting fast will be the ticket. To shift fast, you don't have to shift hard and slam the shifter into gear. It just takes practice, BUT you can't be afraid of breaking it. That's part of racing. I'm not wishing bad luck on you, I'm just being realistic.

Ben T.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TS6
You're wasting money using that 100 octane, you don't need it.

Here's the proper technique for launching on radials, although I would never use them, its like having sex with 12 condoms on. Why bother? If you're gonna do it, do it right and use sticky tires. Anyway......

DO NOT do a burnout. This only makes the tires greasy and does not promote traction. If you think it does, your cars either too slow to matter or you're a bad driver. You only need to do a quick spin-NOT IN THE WATER BOX- to clean rocks and stuff off the tires. Also, dropping air pressue in you tires doesn't help, it just cups the tread, making the contact patch smaller.

For launching an M6: After doing the above, stage the car. Now this part will take some trial and error: You want to bring the rpm's up (probably around 1500 rpm) and on the last amber, drop the clutch. The car won't spin, but may bog. You want to find the highest rpm where the car doesn't spin. Of course, this means it will bog slightly. When the car just begins to nose over after the bog, lay into the throttle. Powershift if you can, but you may break tires on the 1-2 shift.

So there you go. I was able to cut some 1.9-2.0 short times way back in the day on cheap street tires. Some have done better, and on a well prepped track you can see 1.8 and even 1.7. My track sucked most of the time.
I dont think Im doing anything right??!

WTF?!

Tell me who else runs an 8.3 with just nittos and lid and Ill show you a green dog.

No one with even a catback and a lid and nittos has even ran a tenth slower than me. they are at least 2 tenths if they are good drivers.

with my tire pressure down to 15 psi, I launch it and dump the clutch at 3000 it quickly goes through 1st gear , that is how my 60' times are good and Im getting a damn 8.33 which is a 12.8 - 12.9 1/4 mile. with just an induction bolt on and nitto tires.