Super Gas Career?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 12:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Gas Career?

I have been contemplating getting into competitive Super Gas and was wondering if its possible to make enough money in it to be considered a full-time job? Ive been bracket racing as a hobby and never made any real money, but have thought of stepping it up, but is there money potential? Please no flaming on this one, just wondering how people start their careers. Im trying to get into racing as a career and just wondering what the next step is after bracket racing. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:38 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll tell you many people try drag racing as a career choice, but there are a lot of things to remember about choosing that route.

#1-Your hobby/fun time now becomes your bread and butter. That can take the fun out of it for some people when you are forced to race for funds, instead of racing when you want for fun.

#2-A bad night at the track means no $ for food/rent/etc, unlike now when it's just another Saturday night racing, then back to your "regular" job Monday-Friday.

#3-Finding a sponsor to take up some of the $ slack isn't always easy without an established (read: winning) resume, or a big marketing pull. Example here would be Dan Fletcher, one bad super stock & stock racer. Just lost his deal with Summit Racing after 7 years, and he wins NHRA/IHRA National and divisional events every year and finishes in the top 10 nationally most years in 2 classes. A local bracket racer can't usually make those claims or have that draw.

I'm not trying to drown your idea, but instead provide a second opinion. I've been bracket racing for 16 years and won my share of big stuff, including a current stock of 6 wallys, 2 of which are divisional championship ones. I have a national championship R/U to my credit, and I've only came close to breaking even in $$ won 1-2 years. I do however run racing winnings as a business to offset the winnings against my expenses, which can be $1000-3000 each year depending on ventures and upkeep. Do I have any sponsors? Nope. Ever gotten any offers? Nope. I know people I race with who should have sponsorships and don't have any. Don't get me wrong, they are out there, and if you market yourself correctly, you can get sponsorships, but it's not easy.

Okay, just my $.02. Good luck whatever route you choose.

Derek
Old 08-22-2006, 07:50 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Super Gas is a very competitive.

I agree with Derek. It is very tough to make a living at Drag Racing. Sponsorship is the key however.

Good luck.

Coach
Old 08-22-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You want to know how to make a small fortune racing?
. Start with a GREAT BIG ONE!!

...no disparagement intended

Seriously though, It's all about marketing yourself...In my opinion Super Gas does not generate enough exposure to provide a market base.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:47 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I dont think you could make a ton racing super gas alone, all it takes is a couple bad weekends and you are in trouble.

If you want to make money I would set up a car to run super gas, brackets and 6.0/7.0 1/8 mile index and hit every big payout event around. There are some good paying bracket and heads up index races going on all summer - just have to find them

Finding sponsorship is an art all to itself. Generally if you have the management and people skills to nail down good sponsors and manage a successful drag race operation you most likely can do well at whatever you choose to do. It would be cool just to drive around the country with a nice motorhome and a pair of decent cars (one backup or run dual classes) an do nothing but race..
Old 08-22-2006, 01:30 PM
11 Second Club

it would be very tough to do and make a living,espically with gas prices so high
Old 08-22-2006, 01:59 PM
Banned

A old high school buddy of mine runs super gas. He is a very good driver and his car is very consistant. But he has a hard time winning the big ones. Thats how competitive it is.

I'd say a very small percentage actually make more than they spend. I guess it also comes down to sponsorship.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:57 PM
TECH Regular

Most of the guys in S/G are running in 45K Don Davis or Mullis Vettes. They're all got good equipment and they hit the number more than not.

It's very stressful messing with the throttle stop if you haven't done it before. A lot of second guessing and uncertainty.

Consider the amount of travel you'd have to do as well, you won't find a S/G race within your area every weekend. That means thousands of dollars a year in just gas for your motor home or whatever, then you figure the $125 dollar entry fee (I think that's what it is now). You could get hurt real bad for cash in one weekend alone and it'd take ALL of the fun out of it.

There's more to be had in bracket racing, 10K races beat out the S/G which you can win about 3k if you take it all and have lots of contingency. I've seen $125 to enter a bracket race for 1 5K race and 2 10K races, you're better off that route.

I've been around bracket racing and class racing the last 10 years, I can hardly afford to run an occasional race... Much less chase a championship. One summer we ran class racing in Michigan, West Virginia, Tennesse, Philadelphia, Ohio and Kentucky. It was stressful and costly to say the least. We only runner uped and won, there was no profit out of it.

Plus the cost to run a car alone is enough to scare you away. I run alcohol on my car and use 2 gallons a pass which is about $4 every time I go down the track. Then if something goes wrong with motor/tranny things can get costly and you can be down for a while.

I say no way, try it for fun but if you don't pick off some races close to home don't consider doing a tour.

Bracket racing is where the big money is... It's no easier though, people are getting tough. I'm in a $5k race this weekend and it only cost $60 to enter, more money and less travel than with a supergas race.

If you have any other questions about anything feel free to ask me, even though I'm young if it consists of bracket or super class racing I've been there done that.