100% stock camaro SS 35th anniversary

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 11:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 100% stock camaro SS 35th anniversary - first runs - need advise

Ran my car for the first time this past friday night. Had not been to the track for over 20 years. The car is a completely stock 2002 35th annivarsary edition convertible Camaro SS with 6 speed manual and also has the SLP factory upgraded exhaust and suspension.

On the first run I rode the clutch(could hear the engine reving and felt how slow I launched). Hope I did not damage it too much - nerves.

60 ft 2.39
et 15.34
MPH 99.12

not good!!

Second run went better but 60ft was bad - I reveved it to 2500 and dumped.

60ft 2.76
et 14.54
MPH 102

After that I ran mostly in high 13 seconds with this as my best run:

60ft 2.27
et 13.88
MPH 103.66

Any advice on ways to improve other than I know, prcatice. I did not touch the tire pressure and ran sunoco premium fuel. I feel like I should be able to get to mid 13's with some more runs. The car is very low milage(just over 8,000) and I do not want to change the value and originality of the car by doing alot of major changes but I would be willing to look at gears, tune, clutch and tires to bring down the time. Should I look at anything else?

Last edited by velocitydemon; 09-21-2008 at 12:20 PM. Reason: felt title needed more detail
Old 09-21-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well for starters...dont dump the clutch at 2500 rpms. You need to feather the clutcha bit off the line to get the car moving. Then you should be able to go full throttle (easing into of course....but quickly moving to full throttle)

What kind of DA was it that night.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:28 AM
Teching In

alright here I go looking like a novice -sorry I do not know what the DA is?
Old 09-22-2008, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

density altitude.

work on that 60 ft and you should be able to take that time down at least two tenths of a second (mid 13)

you should definitely be able to pull off a 2.0 60 ft by slipping the clutch...which will come with practice (more passes)

btw, what were your eighth mile times for the 13.8/13.9??
Old 09-22-2008, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you had fun and kept the improvement going, which is the key thing. Keep heading out and you'll keep chopping away at that ET and 60'.

I wouldn't dump it at 2500 or you'll sit there all day, but rev it up to maybe 2000 or so, bring the clutch out quick (DON'T dump it, but slip it quick until it's all the way out), and roll into the throttle as the clutch comes out, flooring it when the clutch is fully engaged. You should see near a 2.0 60' and a mid 13 by the time you've got it down. And you can try bringing the RPM up to 2500 if it bogs on you, but you'll have to feel the clutch out a bit more in that case as you'll start to spin quite a bit on street tires.

Drag radials would REALLY help, but also have been known to blow the 10-bolt even with stock power. I wouldn't worry about modding up until you feel comfortable with the car as it sits and think you're at a point where you won't improve too much strictly based on your driving. Too many people worry about getting more power to get better time slips, but have room for improvement just with some more seat time. Good luck!
Old 09-22-2008, 08:19 PM
Teching In

I had a great time and agree that I need more time in the seat. It has been a few years since I drove a stick and I have never owned one with this kind of power. I will practice the launch technique you describe here and will also take your advice on no mods until I can improve my 60 foot. Sounds like you are saying mid 13's should be the goal.

Any advice on tire pressure for the stock Good Year tires that are on the car?
Old 09-22-2008, 08:21 PM
Teching In

mrbigjeep

Can you describe the "Slipping the clutch" technique that you refer to? I want to understand better the best way to launch the car.

Eighth mile for the 13.88 was 9.13 and for the 13.97 it was 9.20.

Last edited by velocitydemon; 09-22-2008 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

rev it up and hold it at a certain rpm. (start out at a low rpm and work your way up as you get better)

then slip the clutch out as you roll into the throttle more and more until you are off the clutch. it will take some practice and if you roll into the throttle too quick or let off the clutch to fast as your going into the throttle then you will just spin. but once you get it down you should be able to time it right. just let it out as you get into the throttle. i started out doing it at 2500 rpms but now that i've gotten better i slip it out at 3500 or 4000 and have gotten my best 60' ft.

btw, works TEN times better than popping the clutch.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mrbigjeep
rev it up and hold it at a certain rpm. (start out at a low rpm and work your way up as you get better)

then slip the clutch out as you roll into the throttle more and more until you are off the clutch. it will take some practice and if you roll into the throttle too quick or let off the clutch to fast as your going into the throttle then you will just spin. but once you get it down you should be able to time it right. just let it out as you get into the throttle. i started out doing it at 2500 rpms but now that i've gotten better i slip it out at 3500 or 4000 and have gotten my best 60' ft.

btw, works TEN times better than popping the clutch.
excellent - I will practice this. Can't wait to give it another shot - if I can get my 60' down to around 2.0 I should be able to hit mid 13's.

Thanks for the explaination.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mid-13s should definitely be the goal and you should have no problem hitting them with a little more seat time.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

if slipping the clutch don't work..which might work for other guys but I don't like it, then find the rpm where you can dump it and break traction. When you find that point, as soon as you break traction let out and get back in the throttle immediately. Stock you'll have traction and won't bog. I'd definately go with some moser 4.10 gears or equivalent, exhaust, and a tune. Don't worry about drag radials or a clutch. What Sunoco fuel were you running? I hope 93 and not 110 as 110 will burn up your o2s. You might also want to check out a pro50 shifter if you don't like the hurst
Old 09-23-2008, 09:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PowershifterNC
if slipping the clutch don't work..which might work for other guys but I don't like it, then find the rpm where you can dump it and break traction. When you find that point, as soon as you break traction let out and get back in the throttle immediately. Stock you'll have traction and won't bog. I'd definately go with some moser 4.10 gears or equivalent, exhaust, and a tune. Don't worry about drag radials or a clutch. What Sunoco fuel were you running? I hope 93 and not 110 as 110 will burn up your o2s. You might also want to check out a pro50 shifter if you don't like the hurst
It is interesting that you should talk about launching this way because it is exactly what I had decided to do before I got the additional input. I am sure both methods will be better than what I was doing and I will practice with them to see which one works best for me.

I have already looked at a tuner - the exhaust is the stock SLP center mount that is a nice option that I do not want to mess with - will the gears gain better times and avoid the weak spot that these cars seem to have?

It was Sunoce 93 that I run exclusively in the car.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Mid-13s should definitely be the goal and you should have no problem hitting them with a little more seat time.
perfect - I will be please with a mid 13 run - it is still pretty fast compared to many cars. Years ago I had a 1970 Plymouth Road Runner Superbird with a 440 6 pack power plant. That car had a number of mods including headers, cam, stall converter and ignition and with 323 gears it ran a 13.7. Heavy car I know and not designed for drag racing but I had to run it a few times for fun.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Honestly, with that low of mileage, Id park the car in a hyperbolic chamber for 50 years, then open the doors and show people of the future what cars used to look like. Naturally, all the while, out at the track with a ride that someone else has already beat the death. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cutlass_455
Honestly, with that low of mileage, Id park the car in a hyperbolic chamber for 50 years, then open the doors and show people of the future what cars used to look like. Naturally, all the while, out at the track with a ride that someone else has already beat the death. Just my 2 cents.
I do understand where you are coming from and I will likely only log around 1500 miles a year on this car. I do want to keep it in nice pristine condition but I could not keep myself from taking some runs with it at the track. If I get addicted to the rush, I agree, then I will need to find something to run full time.

On the flip side I have always looked down on guys that had beautiful rides that were trailer queens and never got driven anywhere. I think a nice car needs to be driven.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

i previously tried the technique where you find the sweet spot and dump it and i hated it. it really never worked and its very hard to find that perfect spot. and whenever i did, the launch still wasn't as good as when i slipped it and didn't spin (or barely spun).

you will definitely pull off mid 13's. it may take some time but you can definitely get that 2.0

i got one in my bone stock edge gt and its a bit slower.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by velocitydemon
Ran my car for the first time this past friday night. Had not been to the track for over 20 years. The car is a completely stock 2002 35th annivarsary edition convertible Camaro SS with 6 speed manual and also has the SLP factory upgraded exhaust and suspension.

On the first run I rode the clutch(could hear the engine reving and felt how slow I launched). Hope I did not damage it too much - nerves.

60 ft 2.39
et 15.34
MPH 99.12

not good!!

Second run went better but 60ft was bad - I reveved it to 2500 and dumped.

60ft 2.76
et 14.54
MPH 102

After that I ran mostly in high 13 seconds with this as my best run:

60ft 2.27
et 13.88
MPH 103.66

Any advice on ways to improve other than I know, prcatice. I did not touch the tire pressure and ran sunoco premium fuel. I feel like I should be able to get to mid 13's with some more runs. The car is very low milage(just over 8,000) and I do not want to change the value and originality of the car by doing alot of major changes but I would be willing to look at gears, tune, clutch and tires to bring down the time. Should I look at anything else?
Watch this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMgeJkCKOTQ

2200rpm and rolled off smooth riding the clutch softly..once out a ways *you will hear the chirp* I was fully engaged and WOT... then I shifted at redline (which may have been holding me back but thats what I did...)...bumped limiter on the 2 to 3 shift but still managed this pass.

2.152 60ft
8.646 1/8th
85.35mph
13.19 @ 108.59 1/4.

This was my 2nd pass of the day (4th pass in the car ever).. First pass that day was 13.2 @ 107mph on a 2.1 60ft... same launch method.

Factory tires, etc,etc,etc...bone stock.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

oh yea..with the method I mentioned try about 20-25psi and no more. Any more and you'll just keep spinning. The gear is exactly what you need.. to get you out of the hole..in fact I would do that before you go back
Old 09-23-2008, 08:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Watch this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMgeJkCKOTQ

2200rpm and rolled off smooth riding the clutch softly..once out a ways *you will hear the chirp* I was fully engaged and WOT... then I shifted at redline (which may have been holding me back but thats what I did...)...bumped limiter on the 2 to 3 shift but still managed this pass.

2.152 60ft
8.646 1/8th
85.35mph
13.19 @ 108.59 1/4.

This was my 2nd pass of the day (4th pass in the car ever).. First pass that day was 13.2 @ 107mph on a 2.1 60ft... same launch method.

Factory tires, etc,etc,etc...bone stock.
Great video and I could hear the power but virtually no tire spin - I am so pumped to try again now. I have been practicing the launch at ever light for the last two days. I can see how this sport is addictive.

Would love to run anything at or below 13.5.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

congrats on your first trip to the strip. here's my first trip.