Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switch Panel without a dash

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 01:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Switch Panel without a dash

Those of you without a dash, where did you mount a switch panel, for ignition and such?

I only have a 6pt rollbar so mounting to that is not currently an option, though I am looking at possibly expanding on the rollbar. Just curious if there are other options.
Old 03-28-2021, 04:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Seen them in the dash (no radio), and in the center console.
Old 03-28-2021, 07:19 PM
11 Second Club

I don't have a dash or a center console.
Old 03-29-2021, 06:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Sounds like you need to fab up a little something or move to an aftermarket column and mount something on there. Or a switch panel on the trans tunnel.
Old 03-29-2021, 12:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by biketopia
Sounds like you need to fab up a little something or move to an aftermarket column and mount something on there. Or a switch panel on the trans tunnel.
That's what I'm thinking, just curious if anyone has examples. That's why I'm asking what others have done in these cars
Old 03-29-2021, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dragonsys
That's what I'm thinking, just curious if anyone has examples. That's why I'm asking what others have done in these cars

Got a picture of what it looks like from you sitting in the drivers seat? Why not just put a gutted dash carrier in the car?
Old 03-29-2021, 06:50 PM
11 Second Club

Got a picture of what it looks like from you sitting in the drivers seat?

Still have to do some clean up...
That current switch panel is rather difficult to reach with my harness connected, I have to stretch pretty good.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

blank pic
Old 03-29-2021, 11:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Doug G
blank pic
Weird I can see it. trying again.

Old 03-30-2021, 05:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Gut all your HVAC stuff out of the car and strip your dash carrier down to bare bones. Pull all the un-needed wiring, your air bag modules *seen the module in your 11sec thread by the shifter* un-needed boxes etc, as well as the sound deadening and then put your switch panel in the dash shell, I'll dig up some pictures of mine. Car will weigh the same if not even less and not look like such a nightmare. Have you scaled your car? I'm guessing you have it the way you do to try and cut weight? What else have you done to drop weight in the car and have you weighed it?
The following users liked this post:
Dragonsys (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 05:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I put a dash from a 96 Firebird in my Camaro, pulled most of the support out of the back, obviously ditched the air bags, went to a basic grant aftermarket wheel, built my own dash and switch panel. Shift light is hidden in vent on the drivers side. No HVAC in the car, 6pt bar, rear seat delete, cut out as much of the unnecessary stuff that I could without stripping the body harness. Pulled modules, clipped wires, moved the battery, still has a radio and 4 speakers, weighed 3200 with weld wheels, stock suspension, k-member and s60 Haven't weighed it since I did the coil overs and k-member up front. That's with the iron block 427sbc and a th350 & 3/4 tank of fuel.

Dragonsys (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 10:51 AM
11 Second Club

Gut all your HVAC stuff out of the car and strip your dash carrier down to bare bones. Pull all the un-needed wiring, your air bag modules *seen the module in your 11sec thread by the shifter* un-needed boxes etc, as well as the sound deadening and then put your switch panel in the dash shell, I'll dig up some pictures of mine. Car will weigh the same if not even less and not look like such a nightmare. Have you scaled your car? I'm guessing you have it the way you do to try and cut weight? What else have you done to drop weight in the car and have you weighed it?
I'm still working on getting the last bits of HVAC & dash remnants out.
The car weighed in at 3130lbs before the dash was removed. I have full tubular suspension, interior is fully gutted, some very light rear wheels and Race Star skinnies (they feel like they weigh more than the rears...)
biketopia (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeaa, I think once you finish getting everything out, the few pounds a gutted dash carrier adds isn't going to make or break anything. Plus you'll have a way to hide all your wiring and an easy way to mount your panel. You could also go with a drag race steering column and save some LB's that way.
Dragonsys (03-30-2021)

Quick Reply: Switch Panel without a dash