Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ozite light weight carpet??????'s

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ozite light weight carpet??????'s

Well I got rid of all of my carpet and it's down to bare metal and wires every where. I really can't believe how nice my floor boards are really from stories of heard of discovering rust, holes and all of that kind of stuff. Mine looks brand new! Anyway, Stated above how does everyone feel about this Ozite carpet that have used it? It seems fairly cheap and some pics of install turned out really nice. Just wondering how big of a pain it really is. It kind of looks like speaker box carpet so I'm wondering how it will hold up with use, shoes, and people getting in and out of it. Also what kind of glue should one use to tack it down with? Inputs and suggestion would be great, thanks steve!
Old 04-19-2009, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

For a race car, it will be fine. Just run floor mats. For a street car, you will kill the carpet.

I used 3M spray adhesive (77?) that I bought at Wally World. Spray both the carpet and the floor, let it tack, and put it down. It streches quite a bit, I was real surprised.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where is the cheapest place to get it?
Old 04-19-2009, 09:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

do they sale that 3M spray adhesive at places like walmart or lowes?
Old 04-19-2009, 11:45 PM
S2K
On The Tree

Location: Bristol, TN/Knoxville, TN/Mooresville, NC/Phoenix, AZ

Originally Posted by ikaros23
do they sale that 3M spray adhesive at places like walmart or lowes?
I'm pretty sure I saw it at walmart a week or so ago. I believe it was where the touch up paints and body stuff was at mine.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

correct, walmart does now carry ozite.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Resident

Damn I don't want to ruin the carpet shortly after I install although I only drive my car to work on Friday's and cruise on Saturday's only. Not a DD by any means but I don't want to replace it once a year either though. Any other suggestions that isn't my stock carpet! They sell Ozite at walmart now???? I seen some speaker box looking carpet, is that basically what this is????
Old 04-21-2009, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

How loud is it going to be in the car with out all of the sound deadending stuff???? I removed this from my dash, and the floor boards. As far as the carpet I had what looks like just padding under my stock carpet. there was no srcapping at all for me. It came out like a hand in a glove really. Fairly simple but now i'm leary on how loud my ride is going to be. It's not my daily but more or less a weekend cruiser, I have the cc306 cam in my forged 355 LT1. Just curious if it's going to be a pain, annoying and all of that kind of stuff. Thanks steve
Old 04-21-2009, 09:23 PM
S2K
On The Tree

If you aren't wanting to do ozite, there is carpet from speed inc. or stockinteriors.com. You can do a search for lightweight carpet and there's 5 or so pages of info. I went with carpet without the hatch from speed inc for $140ish; they also have it with the hatch section for $280ish. I got two sets of carpet from them(on accident) and one weighed 11lbs and the other 12lbs. Pretty nice carpet actually and has some jute padding that can be removed for a little bit more weight loss(1-2 lbs) if wanted. The only thing I didn't like about it was the pic on their site showed it with all the holes cut and preformed, and it wasn't. It's pretty much like getting a 10x6 sheet of carpet lol, but if you don't mind doing all the cutting then your good. Stockinteriors.com I believe is around 220 for the whole thing, and weighs 20ish lbs.

If you have any questions about that speed inc. carpet just ask.

Edit: Just thought I would add, if I was doing it again I would try the stockinteriors.com stuff. Also, I didn't glue mine down.

Last edited by S2K; 04-21-2009 at 09:33 PM. Reason: added some stuff
Old 04-21-2009, 10:12 PM
11 Second Club

Which way did you guys run the seam? And where? Seams from door to door? Or down the length? I have some I am gonna put in, havent really got in there yet and laid it out to see
Old 04-22-2009, 06:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just ordered 5yds last night. Going to replace my SpeedInc carpet.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:02 AM
TECH Resident

Well I just ordered 4 yards of it last night and that should take me a little further down into the trunk than the stock. I'm looking for a stock look for the most part although lighter is better. Fast shipment, ordered yesterday and it's scheduled delivery is tomorrow. Let you all kow how this sturns out. No one has commented on how loud the car will be although it's a little late for that ? considering it's all gone!
Old 04-22-2009, 01:04 PM
S2K
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 94BlueZ28
Well I just ordered 4 yards of it last night and that should take me a little further down into the trunk than the stock. I'm looking for a stock look for the most part although lighter is better. Fast shipment, ordered yesterday and it's scheduled delivery is tomorrow. Let you all kow how this sturns out. No one has commented on how loud the car will be although it's a little late for that ? considering it's all gone!
If you're running ozite with nothing else under it, it will sound like the car does gutted. You really can't expect much from these thin carpets.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

what about the seams? which way did yall run'em? any special technique to making them blend better?
Old 04-22-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine has 1 seam... I did it at the main hoop, side to side.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:12 PM
TECH Resident

Well I started laying the carpet and I started in the middle where the shifter is and It seems like it's going to be easy all though cutting, fitting and then pulling it back up to spray the glue down and then relay it back down and then finally fit it and dry it with a blow dryer. Other than that it's not to bad. Hours will be consumed to get a factor look but that's all I have is time. I've been told to make the seam right at the back where it starts to go back up into the trunk. That big *** hump that the tranny and drive shaft is under. I'll post some pics upon completion. Thanks guys Steve
Old 04-24-2009, 05:16 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If your going to put in ozite use DAP weldwood contact cement from Home depot. It works 1000x better than anything from 3m in a spray can.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

what do you need the blowdryer for? is that carpet easy to stretch? what about places where it wants to "bunch up"? I am gonna be doing this on my day off, I don't really know many techniques on how to do this. I have always done flat surfaces
Old 04-25-2009, 07:41 AM
TECH Resident

Well I was told to use the blow dryer from previous user's! I think it helps the glue dry faster and also it helps stretch the carpet some. I pretty much have everything done right now but the hump in the back to where it goes up into the trunk. I already started laying the Ozite before I read back on the post so I didn't know about the DAP weldwood thing. I did buy the 3M stuff although I got the heavy duty extra strength 90 ****. It seems to be holding down very nicely though. Well honestly it's easier then what you think to do. I started at the shifter area first then worked, down to where the seats would go, then up under the dash floor board area and now I'mworking my way back towards the trunk. Before you apply glue though, make sure you fit and cut everything! You'll be amazed how good it turns out with some time and paitence! I'm pretty impressed with my self and the carpet because It seems like a big job to tackle. Cake walk really though!
Old 04-25-2009, 08:10 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The DAP works a TON better like Phil said. I used that under my feet and the carpet doesn't move at all. I used a spray adhesive everywhere else so it was easier to remove the carpet when I have to.

Quick Reply: Ozite light weight carpet??????'s