Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backspacing for 15x4 & 8 Rims? Got my TT2's and Rears Stick Out!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Backspacing for 15x4 & 8 Rims? Got my TT2's and Rears Stick Out!!

Just got my TT2's in today and tried them on my car. Couple questions...

The fronts stick out about 3/4 of an inch more than the factory wheel does. I got the wheel with 1 3/4 backspacing. Is this acceptable for the fronts or should the wheel tuck in more. It looks like if I put a tire on it, the edge of the tire would be even with the top of the wheelwell, like if you ran a straight edge down. Other than sticking out just a hair, the wheel doesnt come in contact with the brakes at all so thats a plus.

Just seeing if this is "normal" or am I being too picky?

The rears I have to find something better. Went with 15x8 with 3.75 backspacing. The wheels stick out big time. The salesguy at the tire store I work for said they make the same wheel with a 4.5 backspacing but .75 of an inch doesnt seem like it would tuck the wheel, but maybe? Whats the recommended backspacing for a 15x8 rim? The salesmen said 4.5 is that biggest backspacing they make. Or would I have more options going with a 15x10s.

I really would like to do the Torque Thust 2s since I dont see too many people running them for a drag setup and they look awesome on the car. I dont know if American Racing would custom make a set for me or not for the back, or if someone has some ideas.

Thanks guys
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
rim.bmp (144.1 KB, 179 views)

Last edited by Black94Z28; 04-29-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:30 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

15X8 needs a 5.5" BS, 15X10 needs 7.5" BS on a stock length rear.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome! Thanks man!
Old 04-30-2009, 06:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Black94Z28
Just got my TT2's in today and tried them on my car. Couple questions...

The fronts stick out about 3/4 of an inch more than the factory wheel does. I got the wheel with 1 3/4 backspacing. Is this acceptable for the fronts or should the wheel tuck in more. It looks like if I put a tire on it, the edge of the tire would be even with the top of the wheelwell, like if you ran a straight edge down. Other than sticking out just a hair, the wheel doesnt come in contact with the brakes at all so thats a plus.

Just seeing if this is "normal" or am I being too picky?

The rears I have to find something better. Went with 15x8 with 3.75 backspacing. The wheels stick out big time. The salesguy at the tire store I work for said they make the same wheel with a 4.5 backspacing but .75 of an inch doesnt seem like it would tuck the wheel, but maybe? Whats the recommended backspacing for a 15x8 rim? The salesmen said 4.5 is that biggest backspacing they make. Or would I have more options going with a 15x10s.

I really would like to do the Torque Thust 2s since I dont see too many people running them for a drag setup and they look awesome on the car. I dont know if American Racing would custom make a set for me or not for the back, or if someone has some ideas.

Thanks guys
The skinnies on the front do that usually, i know my Draglites up front did when i ran a small spacer to clear the brakes. Can u link a picture of the TT2's on the front from the side? I would like to see how they look, also can u weigh the 15x4 and give us that number? I have been curious about these wheels for quite some time.

The 8" rears need 5.5" backspacing, T/A could get away without looking funny with about 5" of backspacing i believe.