Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunoco Outlaw hood questions!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sunoco Outlaw hood questions!

Will this hood butt up against the glass or run close to the glass? I plan to drive the car alot until i get another daily driver and i don't want to flex or crack the cowl during daily driving if it is too close to the glass,can you trim to fit?

I'm thinking of getting this hood so my nitrous plate will clear with my Victor JR/Edelbrock 4150 TB setup. Right now i had to trim some of the cowl out of the sunoco hood under the black air screen in the back of the cowl. If i put the 4150 plate on it will raise up into the screen and i don't want to cut anymore out,so im thinking of the outlaw hood for more clearance.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:14 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Swap to a sheet metal elbow and put the throttle body back up front and you won't need a new hood.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TS6
Swap to a sheet metal elbow and put the throttle body back up front and you won't need a new hood.
Why would i want to go backwards,power wise? I already had that setup and switched to the 4 barrel setup for better air distrubution and power. I have enough clearance now but not enough to run a nitrous plate setup.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, you have to take the wipers off for the exstanded hood. So its really not for a daily driver, or going to *** anything for a street car.
You have the bolt on, The normal sunoco pin on. dosnt have the under skin that your pin on dose. I have the normal sunoco pin on and its just the outer skin.

were is the hat hitting for you now??
Old 05-08-2009, 07:55 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by studderin
Well, you have to take the wipers off for the exstanded hood. So its really not for a daily driver, or going to *** anything for a street car.
You have the bolt on, The normal sunoco pin on. dosnt have the under skin that your pin on dose. I have the normal sunoco pin on and its just the outer skin.

were is the hat hitting for you now??
Yeah i understand the wiper will have to be deleted,just have too keep plenty of rainX on the glass hahaha! The bottom picture shows with the hood closed,you can't see it but the wingnut for the hat is almost touching what figerglass that is left under the blow screen on the hood. Their might be maybe a half inch of the fiberglass left under the screen so if i put the 1 inch plate kit on i will have to remove enough material that will cause me to have to remove the screen aswell. What i have cut out can be replaced with fiberglass if i sell it to get a bigger hood but im afraid if i go anymore their is the point of no return. I'm curious about the wide sunoco hood also but im planning to do a pin on and the outlaw looks more appealing other than having to delete the wipers.

Last edited by StreetStalkerZ; 05-08-2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

so your looking for a bolt on outlaw hood?

i have the outlaw with the extended and it is right against the window. it has plenty of clearance for your application. but you will have to remove wipers.

heres some pics!
Attached Thumbnails Sunoco Outlaw hood questions!-front-pic.jpg   Sunoco Outlaw hood questions!-100_0750.jpg   Sunoco Outlaw hood questions!-100_0688.jpg  
Old 05-09-2009, 10:02 PM
10 Second Club

I'll probably have to switch to the "wide" sunoco because i don't think the extended version will take daily driving well.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Or maybe just the pin on sunoco, like you have now? The "wide" is what the outlaw/extended hood profile but short. I think it looks a little much on most street cars. I just put a normal sunco like yours on my car, but the light 14# pin on (bolt on is 26#) it has no under brace. Just the top skin, so its a little loose depending on how you mount it. You can have the cowl up or down probally 1 inch then normal, without it cracking if you mount it supporting it like that. So you can gain 1inch thay would you have now. Keeps the wipers too, I was driving today in the rain a bit. If you need a size can try to get how much room it has were a carbhat would be.
there some pics of it here, when I was working on it
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...itch-diet.html

Or use the hood you have now. Can you not use the wing nut, and contersink the hat and just a flush toped long contersink bolt?

Last edited by studderin; 05-09-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

The extended pin on hood has been what Ive wanted for a while, but doesnt work for a street car, I like my wipers. Why not take the pin on extended, and have a good body guy trim the cowl area just enough to let the wipers clear? Shouldnt be TOO bad right?
Old 05-10-2009, 04:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ElkyRacer
The extended pin on hood has been what Ive wanted for a while, but doesnt work for a street car, I like my wipers. Why not take the pin on extended, and have a good body guy trim the cowl area just enough to let the wipers clear? Shouldnt be TOO bad right?
I thought of that also kyle but if i did that i might as well do the "wide" pin on sunoco,little taller and the cowl had enough room for the wiper to operate correctly.

I sure love the way the extended hood looks on these cars
Old 05-10-2009, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by StreetStalkerZ
I sure love the way the extended hood looks on these cars
Amen to that! Thats about the ONLY cowl hood that looks right on these cars! I just hate that its a pin on only. Wish I could find a more tasteful way of mounting a pin on. If it werent for that Id have one on the way!
Old 05-10-2009, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

was thinking about the extended "wide" cowl at first, but still wanted to see a little over the hood!

the wide hood also goes all the way to the glass, from what i was told? unless i was told wrong? thus no wipers with it either.

the hood barely touches the window, you could just take off a 1/2 inch off the end and should be no problem for street use!
Old 05-10-2009, 09:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by yrlosing
was thinking about the extended "wide" cowl at first, but still wanted to see a little over the hood!

the wide hood also goes all the way to the glass, from what i was told? unless i was told wrong? thus no wipers with it either.

the hood barely touches the window, you could just take off a 1/2 inch off the end and should be no problem for street use!
I can see fine with my Extended Sunoco. It does go all the way to the glass, but can always be trimmed however you want it to be. I have a 4500 style TB on my car, and if I would have went with the normal "wide" Sunoco hood, that doesn't extend all the way back, I'd be leaving half of the TB sticking outside the cowl. The extended version covers it all up, and like I said, I see fine.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Camaro396
if I would have went with the normal "wide" Sunoco hood, that doesn't extend all the way back, I'd be leaving half of the TB sticking outside the cowl. /90/l_8040c34414c0453e9a5047b869cc3e10.jpg[/IMG]
Im not sure about that, mine the cowl still gose back over the wiper pivot, and the base of the arm. I think a carb style TB would still tuck under the cowl fine, as in the 1st post.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by studderin
Im not sure about that, mine the cowl still gose back over the wiper pivot, and the base of the arm. I think a carb style TB would still tuck under the cowl fine, as in the 1st post.
Do you have a picture to see? I would like to see a side shot to see how far it comes to the wiper arm.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

that's the same hood i have.

i thought the "mike moran" style hood (the cowl goes from almost fender to fender) goes all the way to the glass also? maybe i saw a different pic?
Old 05-11-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by StreetStalkerZ
Do you have a picture to see? I would like to see a side shot to see how far it comes to the wiper arm.
It should be the same hood you have now, but just the outer skin. No under brace in the rear, or the screen. I only have the pics right now in the link I posted, but can get more later.

Quick Reply: Sunoco Outlaw hood questions!