Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

racing a auto question.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation racing a auto question.

i feel dumb for asking this question, but I've been reading posts on here about launching your car in drive instead of overdrive.
does it really make a difference to launch in drive i have always launched in OD? I never manually shift my car but to do some roll races i drop it into first and then go straight to drive, the car feels like it hits harder from 30 than from a stop. please any info will help!!
Old 05-24-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You wont get a clear cut answer to this question here. Most of what I have read claims to leave the car in overdrive, unless your car shifts into overdrive in the 1/4 (like mine) and no one can tune it out.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

I get better times racing in OD
Old 05-26-2009, 11:54 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car should always get you faster times when you let it shift itself versus trying to do it manually (unless the car isn't tuned to shift at the right rpm). I've run both OD and D, and have stuck with OD since the car seems to shift better there (racing in drive would occasionally tap the rev limiter on the 1-2 shift).

Derek
Old 05-26-2009, 04:31 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chas010
You wont get a clear cut answer to this question here. Most of what I have read claims to leave the car in overdrive, unless your car shifts into overdrive in the 1/4 (like mine) and no one can tune it out.
I had a transmission builder tell me something (forgot what he called it) would not drag it down in OD, but would spin up in Dr. Something that does not engauge in OD. I'm no tranny guy. There should be no reason your car won't stay in 3rd gear unil the finish line. What do you race, and what RPM does it run at the 1/4 mile if you hold it in 3rd?
Old 05-27-2009, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tranny pressure is used to hold a spring back when in OD. When you are in D the pressure is released. That is pressure you now have for your clutch bands, etc. You want the GM tranny in D if you have quite a bit of power, enough to make the tranny slip. Mopar trannys are just the oposite...you want to run those in OD to get maximum pressure to the clutch bands.

Search this Thread