Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think we've solved our wheelstand issues...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 04:00 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I think we've solved our wheelstand issues...

Well with the addition of wheelie bars and some adjustments to the travel limiters we think we have a handle on getting the car to leave without getting crazy off the line...

My crew took the car to Sac for some shakedown passes and I let my crew chief drive the car since i coudln't be there due to military commitments... He did a great job driving it in my absence and he's the only one i trust...

They had a battery issue early on that i've been messing with for months. I think I killed a cell in the battery and it wouldn't hold a charge for anything causing the Digital 7 to go haywire and start missing and dropping cylinders.... So they brought a brand new optima along swapped it over at the track and BAM it was like a new car... My tuner tuned on the car to get it to idle and start easier and cleaned up some IAC issues the car was having with the throttle follower when the throttle blades would slam shut.... After 30 minutes he fixed all those up and the car was ready to go.... ALL the passes were made with just the 150 shot jets in the plate since we really wanted to get the car to leave the line like we knew it was capable of....

They made 1 motor pass and went 10.9@128mph leaving VERY easy.... Followed by a nitrous pass where the car went very lean for a second in high gear causing Charlie to lift.... It seemed that the car got low on gas and the pump caught air for a second. AFR got to 14.1:1 for like a tenth of a second before he shut it down... car went 10.3@104... 6.22@113 in the 1/8....

Second pass they put more fuel in the tank and made it out again.... car left super strong touched the wheelie bars, came down and bounced a bit and pulled the wheels up again.... It hit the bars a bit hard causing the bounce but the car responded with a 1.44 60' time and 9.74@143.6mph!!! ON only the 150 hit!!!!!

THey made a back to back pass which is here where the car went even quicker... 1.42 60' time, 9.72@143.5mph.... This time they left the limiters where they were and put another inch of height on the wheelie bars... Car leaves the line with the wheels about 4 inches up for a second and comes right back down and goes like a bat outta hell....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHHrjN_C2yM

Our next plan now that the car is launching right is to put more gas to it out of the hole along the lines of a 225 shot possibly. Or keep the 150 shot and progress it up to 350 or 375 pretty quickly to get it in the mid 1.3's.... we feel with a mid 1.3 and 350-375 hp worth of gas that we can get that elusive 8 second pass....
Old 05-27-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

more spray!
Old 05-27-2009, 04:53 PM
12 Second Club

lol was that video taken from an atm?

Glad to hear the car is running good though...
Old 05-27-2009, 04:59 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, you have a crew and a crew chief on a 9 second car.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by patriotformula
lol was that video taken from an atm?
video sucks, I know, i took it, but it is better than nothing. haha

Originally Posted by TS6
Wow, you have a crew and a crew chief on a 9 second car.
more people helping you out the better. try it out sometime, it helps.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Great results!!

The person holding the camera needs another assignment
Old 05-27-2009, 09:34 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by camscam02
video sucks, I know, i took it, but it is better than nothing. haha

more people helping you out the better. try it out sometime, it helps.
I guess, I can't imagine there is enough stuff to worry about on a 9 second car to require a "crew". At most I bring one dude with me and thats usually for helping load/unload and taking video.

I'm just imagining 5 dudes with matching shirts and headsets hustling around like the cars gonna bust off a 7 second run, then some dude with a quick street car pulls up and runs the same number all alone, probably on DOT's and through mufflers.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:53 PM
9 Second Club

No no guys with matching shirts... LOL...

My car has a crew chief who is just the only person i trust working on the car besides me.. We only had one other person helping line the car up in the groove....

and yeah it's a 9 second car on tiny jets..... It's going to be an 8 second car on the jets it was designed to run and built for....

And it's not that there is alot to worry about with a 9 second car (although a 9 second car can melt down a 15,000 dollar motor in one pass if you do something wrong.... It's just easier when I can concentrate on driving and other crap like tire pressure, wheelie bar height, etc can be handled by another person.... When i go to the track i've got the wife and kids bothering the hell out of me, other ppl from other pits asking me questions and other stuff going on.. it's just easier giving out the simple stuff to someone else so i can concentrate on driving..... a 9 second car can EASILY kill you seeing as how it takes all of about 800hp in a 3400 lb car to run in the 9's....
Old 05-28-2009, 01:21 PM
11 Second Club

i would even love to have a small crew that i trust for my 12 sec car. its just so much easier and less stressful
Old 05-28-2009, 01:35 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
No no guys with matching shirts... LOL...

My car has a crew chief who is just the only person i trust working on the car besides me.. We only had one other person helping line the car up in the groove....

and yeah it's a 9 second car on tiny jets..... It's going to be an 8 second car on the jets it was designed to run and built for....

And it's not that there is alot to worry about with a 9 second car (although a 9 second car can melt down a 15,000 dollar motor in one pass if you do something wrong.... It's just easier when I can concentrate on driving and other crap like tire pressure, wheelie bar height, etc can be handled by another person.... When i go to the track i've got the wife and kids bothering the hell out of me, other ppl from other pits asking me questions and other stuff going on.. it's just easier giving out the simple stuff to someone else so i can concentrate on driving..... a 9 second car can EASILY kill you seeing as how it takes all of about 800hp in a 3400 lb car to run in the 9's....
I'd be happy to just have a crew cheif to strap the car down in the trailer after being at the track all day.

You are lucky to have friends help you out, I would be happy to have a couple guys along to help out, make sure the car is staged straight, look at the car on the line for leaks, low tires etc. I load, tow, race, build and maintain the car, truck, trailer, 4 wheeler and generator, answer questions at the track, keep the kids in line - royal pain the ***..

Congrats on the times, car looks good,
Old 05-29-2009, 11:32 AM
9 Second Club

thanks man... yeah exactly my point.. going to the track is so much better when you have ppl with you..... the funny thing about our little crew is that we all have cars that are in different stages of buildup or are complete but we race on different days.. one day i'll be helping my buddy with his blown 68 SS when he's racing and the following week he'll chief for me with my 95..... My engine builder is on hand to lend me assistance with the motor he built and when he needs me i'm helping him wrench on his tubbed 64 nova.... we all help each other out.... and my crew chief does EVERYTHING.... remembers my helmet, fills out the tech card, checks the car for leaks on the line... the guy is MONEY at the track for reall...... He chief's on an blown alky BBC in a 55 chevy team so he knows exactly what's going on at all times..... whether your car runs 12's or 6's it pays to have friends to help you out.....
Old 05-29-2009, 11:36 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Good to hear you're making some progress with it. 9.7 on a 150 hit is good for sure.

I have one guy that comes with me every time I go, now that I have enough room in teh truck, there will probably be a 2nd.

It helps alot to have someone to line you up, help with stuff like gapping plugs, changing bottles, all that kind of stuff.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:43 AM
10 Second Club

congrats on the times man good to see ya dialing it in
Old 05-29-2009, 11:50 AM
9 Second Club

Yeah the 9.72 at 143 is the fastest it's been on those jets......

I think it'll go 9.20@150 on the 300 shot.... we've run the 300 to the 1/8 mile and it was far from a clean pass where the nitrous turned itself off when i had to pedal the car on the launch and the progressive timer reset itself causing us only to have the full power of the 300 shot 2.5 seconds into the run instead of 1.5 seconds in.... car went 6.05@117 to the 1/8 mile.... I figure a 5.85-5.90 is completely realistic on a clean run with no nitrous shutdown....

It's gonna take the full kill setup on a 350-400 shot for that 8 second pass tho.... how much total hit have you given your car so far and what were the differences in times based on shot??? My car backhalfs pretty good. I put in a 6.22 1/8 mile that my car ran on the 150 shot and it said a quarter of 9.82.... My car went 9.72 ( a full .1 faster than the conversion calc)...... I think aerodynamics of a 4th gen helps out on the backhalf....
Old 05-29-2009, 06:21 PM
9 Second Club

whats with the 1-2 shift? sounds like it died or something.

I think the suspension could use some more work...... it jerking around too much when it leaves. If you could smooth it out I think you could get some more 60'
Old 05-29-2009, 07:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mdacton
whats with the 1-2 shift? sounds like it died or something.

I think the suspension could use some more work...... it jerking around too much when it leaves. If you could smooth it out I think you could get some more 60'
Raise the wheelie bars a bit, they are hitting so hard causing the nose to return to quickly then bouncing up again. just my observation
Old 05-29-2009, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
I'd be happy to just have a crew cheif to strap the car down in the trailer after being at the track all day.

You are lucky to have friends help you out, I would be happy to have a couple guys along to help out, make sure the car is staged straight, look at the car on the line for leaks, low tires etc. I load, tow, race, build and maintain the car, truck, trailer, 4 wheeler and generator, answer questions at the track, keep the kids in line - royal pain the ***..

Congrats on the times, car looks good,
Just gotta move west and there will be at least 2 of us to help you out
Old 05-29-2009, 10:08 PM
9 Second Club

hmmmm interesting. the wheelie bars were pretty high up (like 7" from bottom of wheel to the ground) and my spotter said the wheels didn't touch (which is what we wanted on the 150 shot).... we had the front limiters set pretty tight though allowing like 1" of travel.....

we might loosen up the limiters one hole and get it up on the bars a bit.... then again the 225 shot might get it up there and keep it there.....

but thanks for the observations guys... No the car didn't die on the 1-2 shift at all... it was moving out pretty damn good. I might have short shifted it a bit on the 1 to 2 cause the tach is moving so damn fast i overanticipate the shift light......
Old 05-30-2009, 05:08 PM
9 Second Club

I would try at least 2-2.5" of front travel

I think that will help you out alot
Old 05-30-2009, 07:50 PM
10 Second Club

So Jason, were you there driving or your crew chief, you lost me on that one?

Congrats on the the shakedowns. Looks like a little more work on the susupension as I noticed the same thing with the wheels coming up a tiny bit then back down hard. Anyway, your getting there, baby steps..