Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weight reduction VFN frontend

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default weight reduction VFN frontend

I wasn't really forsure where to post this but since the main reason to do it would be weight reduction, I thought it would fit better here. I searched for this but really didn't find anything. Does anyone have experence with the full fiberglass frontends and rear bumper's from VFN, I was looking at these piece's for my car and was wondering how much of a weight saving's I could make by installing them and How good the fitament of the peice's are and if the quality of the parts are good and how hard they are to install as I would still need headlights, which I assume would just be some work with the old cut off wheel. Do they bolt back in on the factory points?
Old 06-10-2009, 10:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The do not mount to the original mounting points and need custom mounts/stands made to mount them at least from the ones I saw on the tube chassis cars, but your best bet is to ask VFN about the mounts...
Old 06-10-2009, 10:27 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Whyrun
I wasn't really forsure where to post this but since the main reason to do it would be weight reduction, I thought it would fit better here. I searched for this but really didn't find anything. Does anyone have experence with the full fiberglass frontends and rear bumper's from VFN, I was looking at these piece's for my car and was wondering how much of a weight saving's I could make by installing them and How good the fitament of the peice's are and if the quality of the parts are good and how hard they are to install as I would still need headlights, which I assume would just be some work with the old cut off wheel. Do they bolt back in on the factory points?
What type/year of car are we working with here? There are some exceptions but very few (performance) fiberglass parts are a "bolt-in replacement" type part. Because they are built to be lighter (read also not as strong) than the part it replaces. they won't have factory mounting ears and/or brackets to mount associated parts to it as many times they too will be deleted in the weight reduction effort.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

It's certainly not a bolt on part that I can guarintee you. Weight wise they are alot lighter, but with the amoutn of work it takes to get them on the car looking right and fitting right, and the amount of fab work it stops most people from ever doing it.

I have seen a complete vfn 200x camaro, and it was pretty damn good but on a full tube chassis car. To put the nose (this one was the extended one for a longer wheelbase) on a stock unibody car, would be a TON of work. Lighter absolutely, but alot of work that would really need to be done by someone with alot of experience with that type of thing, and even then it may not be perfect to what the stock stuff was.

It's easy to put all that stuff together on a tube chassis car since you have nothing to base what it looks like off of, but on a factory unibody car you may not be happy with the fit, unless the installer is an absolute perfectionist and have a TON of time
Old 06-10-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
It's easy to put all that stuff together on a tube chassis car since you have nothing to base what it looks like off of, but on a factory unibody car you may not be happy with the fit, unless the installer is an absolute perfectionist and have a TON of time

we found that out on someone's car...took 60+ hours of fiberglass work to make it fit...
Old 06-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Race your car!

Exactly what I was getting at. Seen that done once too, not a fun job.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:34 AM
9 Second Club

I would like to point out that this is common to ALL brand of fiberglass and not VFN specific.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:37 PM
Race your car!

Absolutely. VFN stuff for the most part generally fits pretty well. I have a hood of theirs sitting here waiting to go on, initial looks it should be pretty close.

None of them are perfect though, and all are built with the intent that trimming and fitting will be needed.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Lone Warrior
I would like to point out that this is common to ALL brand of fiberglass and not VFN specific.
Not true.Joe vanOveerbeek stuff fits great. I have had almost every part that VFN makes for our cars. Fitment can be ,and def. is ALOT better on the Joe VanO parts.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

Sorry I didn't list my car it's a 95 z/28 haven't wrote in my sig yet, I'm kinda new to this forum. I kinda figured the full front was more or less a piece for someone building a tube car but It would look Damn sweet, I think I will just push that to the back burner for now as a way future project. I still got more than enuff weight that needs to be cut off the car now before I need to get into glassing the front end. thanks for the replies