Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding Calipers.. (Thinking about 15" Setup)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 07:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Grinding Calipers.. (Thinking about 15" Setup)

Hey guys,

My car is more of a weekend street warrior then a track car, since I no longer have any nearby tracks. I'm asking in this section, because I figured you would all be knowledgeable in this situation.

I am thinking about getting 15" summit stars. Probably 15x8 rear and 15x4 for the front. I'm having some issues with the caliper situation. This is the only thing making me hesitate from ordering these wheels. I've heard a lot of stories of people cracking their calipers and totaling their cars. I don't know what to use to grind them down, nor where I should grind.

If I were to get spacers (5/16" or 1/2") for the front, would I not have to grind them? Could I use them on the rear too or no?

I'm an idiot when it comes to this, someone please enlighten me.

Thank you everyone.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont have skinnies yet so cant speak much about the front but im pretty sure you can just use spacers.

As for the rears it took me about 10 min of grinding each side, to get my 15x8 weld prostars to fit, all that was really needed was cutting that peice in the front center that sticks out off and a little grinding on the corners.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Using spacers will reduce the amount of material you need to remove. Spacers are a very bad idea with these types of wheels as they require the stock acorn lug. You've moving your sheer line increasing stress on the studs. In addition, when you use spacers, you reduce the already small backspace that is being used further reducing fitment and appearance as the wheels will stick out further.

You could consider our drag wheels. They will not only act like you're dropping another ~75lbs from your car over the wheels you're considering but you'll have a direct fit front/rear wheel combination which is built for your OEM brake/caliper/pad combination. They also fits correctly without the hassels of grinding or adding spacers.

You would also be supporting a proudly designed and built USA product.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you're gonna do it, use a 5/8ths spacer and make sure the pads are worn down. the more the pads are worn the less you'll have to grind.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thats true, don't do it with newer pads and use at least a small spacer.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't run China wheels that dont fit correctly. Also summit wheels can only be used in 15x8 which REALLY limits your tire choices. Give Steve at SJM a call, or consider Weld Racings new R/T Street wheels. Both mentioned clear stock brakes with no modifications, and come in the correct 15x10 backspace for a true bolt on correct fitment, and are USA made products. Also both will be EXTREMELY lighter, resulting in faster ETs.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had new brakes on my car back when I got my draglites, took me a long time to grind them down. I've never heard of anyone breaking a caliper afterward.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by cbra-klla
I had new brakes on my car back when I got my draglites, took me a long time to grind them down. I've never heard of anyone breaking a caliper afterward.
I have.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Camaro396
I have.
That sucks. Lol. I'm going with racing breaks all the way around before I max this setup out so I won't have to worry
Old 06-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Camaro396
I have.
Yep! to the OP, there have been plenty of people to grind their calipers and not have issues. However, this is not a chance you want to take. I have seen first hand the damage a broken caliper can cause on a vehicle. When it breaks on the street, there's no limit to how much carnage it can cause.

I would strongly recommend going with quality wheels designed to fit over your factory calipers such as Bogart, or Billet Specilaties.

http://www.speedinc.com/catagory.cfm...ls%20/%20Tires

we have had great success with the street lites which we are currently adding to our site.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:23 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bryan @ Speed Inc.
I would strongly recommend going with quality wheels designed to fit over your factory calipers such as Bogart, Billet Specilaties, or Welds.
Fixed for ya.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Banned

lol, your car does look sick with those rears.