Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installing carpet around cages

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 10:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default installing carpet around cages

Hey all I am going out to pick my car up after geting the cage installed and have been looking over the pics that were sent to me by the shop doing to work, and now have questions about the best way to lay the carpet in there around the cage. spesificly around the bars reaching to tunnel. If I slit then all the way to those bars there will technically only be maybe10-12" of fabric at the center of the tunnel that is uncut. I would think that would make it not sit right as it goes down around the hump where the rear seats mount.

Would it just be easier to layer the carpet and have some overlap, or try and make one sheetwork, and if so how have you guys done it?
Old 07-02-2009, 11:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you using a molded carpet?

It doesn't look like you'll have much of a choice on that one. Maybe use some strong double sided tape under the cuts to help hold it down...

If your using molded or the stock carpet then it should lay back down after you cut it. Mine did.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

i was wondering this too thanks for askin. i was thinkin put it in the middle of the car and slit from tunnel-side of the car then itll be slit for the main hope and tunnel bars but idk
Old 07-02-2009, 01:38 PM
11 Second Club

No, I was not planning on using a molded carpet, I originally bought a few yards of felt that looked like the stock carpet (but much lighter, and even lighter then Ozite) but when I was thinking of installing it I never considered the cage, now that I look at the cage pics I am wondering how I will be able to do it...
Old 07-02-2009, 02:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1SlowFormula
No, I was not planning on using a molded carpet, I originally bought a few yards of felt that looked like the stock carpet (but much lighter, and even lighter then Ozite) but when I was thinking of installing it I never considered the cage, now that I look at the cage pics I am wondering how I will be able to do it...
Yeah I know what your talking about and my firends makes this felt type of stuff your talking about...we looked at it for my car but figured there were other ways to save weight over trying that...

He said I would have issues trying to get it to form to the floor with nothing to hold it down really....Good luck with it and lets see what it looks like when your done. I'm still on the fence between going that route or just having a new carpet made without the juke padding for Trim Parts.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:45 PM
11 Second Club

If I can't get it to look right I am thinking of just paining the floor black and being done with it, but we'll see, I'm just soo excited to go pick my car up tomorrow since it has been a month since I have seen it and I was getting lonely, LOL...
Old 07-02-2009, 05:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What if you sprayed the floor with 3M adhesive as you streatched the felt down onto the floor? That way it would hold it's shape and you may be able to carefully line up the seams so they aren't as noticeable.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...er-77/Super77/

or:

http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/se...t_adhesive.htm
Old 07-02-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's how I did it, used the 3M Adhesive, worked ok I think

Originally Posted by 91RS383
What if you sprayed the floor with 3M adhesive as you streatched the felt down onto the floor? That way it would hold it's shape and you may be able to carefully line up the seams so they aren't as noticeable.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...er-77/Super77/

or:

http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/se...t_adhesive.htm

Quick Reply: installing carpet around cages