Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious launch and traction issues...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious launch and traction issues...

Made it out to the track for the first time with the LS1 car. Mind you it's been 3 years since I've been to the track I use to cut a 2.1 60' on 18's in my 6spd 94 Z28 consistently. Tonight with the LS1 car the best I got all night wasa 2.404 60', and that was launching at at 1500rpm. The rest of the night I launched from idle and was getting wheel spin in the upper rpms, and spinning second like no other. Any advice on how to calm it down on the 1-2 shift and how to get the 60' down?

So far tried lowering PSI in tires, babying the clutch (maybe too much and bogging?), and even tried driving it like I stole it once lol.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what kind of tires do you have ? any suspension mods ? but the biggest mod would be seat time ! it takes time with a 6spd
Old 07-11-2009, 01:27 PM
TECH Regular

BFG G-force sports 245/55/16's. I can launch it fine on the street, but there were plenty of cars cutting great 60ft times. The worst part is the second gear spinning. The launch the car didn't seem to be spinning bad, just more like it was bogging than anything, may try launching at around 2k rpm next time. No suspension mods done, and sometimes the car would break loose at 4 or 5k rpm in first so I would just short shift it. Better ET but lower MPH when I did that.

Any suggestions on the 1-2 shift though? I was mostly just quick shifting and back on the gas fast, but it would spin BAD each time.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats your tire pressure at ? i would run those at 24lbs but until a true drag radial goes on i wouldnt worry to much ....also the bog means launch higher the spinning will happen till the drag radial is on , but your on thin ice with your 10 bolt at the track so save for a 12 bolt or 9in cause with a 6spd its a matter of time till it blows
Old 07-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RacingTiger03
Made it out to the track for the first time with the LS1 car. Mind you it's been 3 years since I've been to the track I use to cut a 2.1 60' on 18's in my 6spd 94 Z28 consistently. Tonight with the LS1 car the best I got all night wasa 2.404 60', and that was launching at at 1500rpm. The rest of the night I launched from idle and was getting wheel spin in the upper rpms, and spinning second like no other. Any advice on how to calm it down on the 1-2 shift and how to get the 60' down?

So far tried lowering PSI in tires, babying the clutch (maybe too much and bogging?), and even tried driving it like I stole it once lol.
You can't put the power to the ground at all with street tires. Lowering PSI won't help because the tires you have were designed for maximum performance at 32 PSI, you're more than likely making your contact patch smaller by doing that. You can baby the clutch if you want, but that won't help your 60' times. Short shifting is not going to keep you in any kind of powerband either which you need.

Drag strip is a totally different surface than the street and is optimized for drag tires.....in theory though, because track prep can be shitty.

To get started you need...

-26" MT et streets, radials or non-radials, preferrably on a 15 inch drag wheel
-A line lock to get them hot and gummy so they'll hook

You'll have to see what happens after that because after you start getting some traction it will be a totally different game and you can really start concentrating on meeting some goals for the car.

Are you getting any wheelhop, because that's an issue easily fixed too.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:42 PM
FormerVendor

Street tires at teh track is completely different from the street Also, you say other cars were hooking, but they probaly had suspension mods and/or a set of tires. As stated, reg ol radials need MORE tire pressure at teh track. It is proven that low pressure with radials causes your "footpront" to become smaller, as only the outer edges of teh radial will make contact.

Until you can get a good tire on it, hard to consistently get good 60'. Above and beyond all else, including suspension, the tire is teh key.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gen414
Street tires at teh track is completely different from the street Also, you say other cars were hooking, but they probaly had suspension mods and/or a set of tires. As stated, reg ol radials need MORE tire pressure at teh track. It is proven that low pressure with radials causes your "footpront" to become smaller, as only the outer edges of teh radial will make contact.

Until you can get a good tire on it, hard to consistently get good 60'. Above and beyond all else, including suspension, the tire is teh key.
Yup, wider isn't necessarily better either. Taller tires have a longer contact patch but require different gearing. That's why I recommended 26" to you.

The stickiest tires won't help you unless you're transferring weight properly either. Get some stickier tires and work your suspension from there. Systematically tackle one problem at a time, and don't make too many changes at once. Throwing random suspension parts on is not the answer. Document every change you make and the results you achieve from them while taking weather into account.

Some drag radials will considerably help your 60' and more or better than likely eliminate your 1-2 traction problems.

The best thing you can do is set some realistic goals for the car. How fast do you want to go and how much money do you want to spend? Money and personal knowledge is where pretty much anything car related starts and ends.

The entire car needs to properly function as a single unit to dial it in and be sucessful at the track.

-Front and rear suspension
-Tires, size, pressure, compound
-Gears and powerband
-Weight and transfer
-Weather and altitude
-Springs
-Shocks
-Driver
-Power

All of it makes a difference and can make or break you. Sadly it takes money and years to get the **** right.

I've been learning and have recently posted and received alot of info.

Last edited by joblo1978; 07-11-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:57 PM
11 Second Club

You need some bias plys to leave hard as hell in a 6spd
Old 07-13-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Regular

Guess I'll just try a stickier tire after I get some new wheels and tires for the car. Thanks everyone.

Oh and when I said I was lowering the PSI I meant to 28 before hotlapping... so it was probably back up to 32 after a pass or two. The contact patch looked as good as it could.