Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a rear drag brake kit that will work on my 9" without axle removal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 05:44 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is there a rear drag brake kit that will work on my 9" without axle removal?

When I did the rear drag brakes on my 12 bolt, it was a massive pain in the *** with destroying bearings, using spacers, etc. **** got all messed up.

I have a moser 9" with stock rear brakes on it now, is there a brand of rear drag brake that will simply replace whats there without bearing removal or having to shim the axles and ****? I don't care if I destroy the stock backing plates removing them, but I'm not dealing with the bearings and stuff again. Looking for something thats easy like front drag brakes lol.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:58 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The strange brakes have a 'C' shaped caliper bracket, you can just cut the original bracket off. They need a spacer too but it goes between the bearing and the housing so you do have to slide the axle out but thats no big deal on a 9 inch moser, it just slides right out after you take the four bolts off, no pressing bearings or anything like that..
Old 08-05-2009, 07:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just as KP mentioned, the stock one will need cut off if you're not willing to have the bearings pulled and repressed. You can take the axle assembly to a shop and have this done for minimal funds. That probably is much easier than trying to cut brackets off and without getting metal shavings in your bearings.

Once you cut the stock pieces off, they are going to be difficult to sell. They are worth ~200.00 easily. That itself pays for quite a bit of the new drag pieces you'll be purchasing.

You will need the bearing spacer, but that is rather simple to install. It would be very difficult if not impossible to damage the bearings at this point you’ll also need a new braided hose kit.

We can supply everything you'll need for the change-over. You can order everything you need on our online site http://www.sjmmanufacturing.com/cam_...1.html#Strange Drag Rotors or give us a call. We can walk you through any portion of your install as well.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We can mod the Aerospace bracket as well.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have to agree with all the above both of the steves (burger and sjm) are great to deal with and answer any questions u have with the install i love my strange brakes I got and fit mint both of there customer services are top notch im runnin a moser 9in with the strange brakes and the spacer they sell i also had no problem pressing on/off the bearings just gotta be a lil careful