Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom SFC's on a budget

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 11:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Custom SFC's on a budget

Well, times are tough these days so a guys gotta do things on a budget. My original plan was to buy some SFC's, but they're around 180. I thought that was a little extreme for some bent up steel. I also need a rollbar, so that got me thinking about buying a welder and doing some of this myself since I have so much free time these days being layed-off haha... Once I get a welder, I should break even with the price of "bolt-in" stuff, except now I'll have a welder that I can either sell, which would put me well ahead, or just keep it.

Here's some pics of the custom SFC's I'm fabbing up in my garage. I've got most of the cutting/fitting done, now I just need a MIG welder to finish it up.

Started off with two 5' pieces of 2"x2" mild steel with 1/8th wall thickness. Thes are going to be STOUT SFC's and only be about 2lb's heavier than aftermarket pieces. The actual length of the SFC's ended up at 45-1/2", but the steel yard would only sell 10' min length. I had them cut it in half for easier transport. Total cost for material, 35.00.

Here's the front and rear subframes that I'll be tying together.

I used a piece of foam core board to mock up the bend and pattern for cutting. The bend makes it line up better, and creates an area on the outside mount that can be welded. Otherwise it would be too tight to get a welder into.

Create a pie notch in the tubing to get the bend. Once it's notched, it bends fairly easy, no special tools needed. I used a hand grinder with a cut-off wheel for all the cutting and it went fairly quick. Of course, this will get welded together again before it gets welded to the car.

Once I had the correct angle, I transferred the pattern to the steel and started cutting. This is a trial and fit situation until it's good. Had to do this several time to get the fit good and tight against the front subframe.

Here's the outside area of the front subframe mount that required the bend to get a welder into. Still pretty tight but should be good enough for a MIG torch head.

Here's the clearance from the side. They tuck up real nice under the lip of the bottom rocker panel. Once painted and welded in place you'll never see them from the side.

Here's the rear subframe and the connector. Notice that I'll need to fab up a spacer to fill the gap. Also going to fill the factory gap between the LCA mount and the rear subframe rail that goes over the rear axle. This will add strength and integrity to the entire front/rear subframe and create a stronger mount for the rollbar. I'll finish up the spacers once I acquire a welder.

Shot looking forward. The PS SFC is nearly complete other than welding.

The passenger side is nearly identical as the driver side, but here's a few shots.

The PS hangs down a little further, maybe a 1/2" or so. Still barely noticable once it get's painted.

That's it for now. Hoping to have a welder soon so I can finish it all up.

Mike

Last edited by Mikey 97Z M6; 08-09-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good and has a great fit as far as I can see.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:14 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks. I'm buying a welder this coming week so I can finish it up. I'll snap a few more pics after they're burned in.

Mike
Old 08-09-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looking good but only thing i noticed is on the pic of the drivers side rear by the LCA mount should'n you have it going straight to the subframe with steel on both sides like how bolt in connectors are as opposed to having it on the outer side of the subframe? In my head that seems to me that it would be stronger as your useing both sides of the subframe and boxing it in somewhat at the same time. Other than that they look very good and seems to be saving you some cash!
Old 08-09-2009, 11:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look great! We also plan on making our own for my car too
Old 08-10-2009, 07:44 AM
Internet Mechanic

Just make sure the suspension is loaded, either on the ground or a drive on lift. NO 2-post lifts and your mint. Also I would paint the bars now, grind where the welds go and hit it again with some rustolium.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:54 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2XR95Z28
Looking good but only thing i noticed is on the pic of the drivers side rear by the LCA mount should'n you have it going straight to the subframe with steel on both sides like how bolt in connectors are as opposed to having it on the outer side of the subframe? In my head that seems to me that it would be stronger as your useing both sides of the subframe and boxing it in somewhat at the same time. Other than that they look very good and seems to be saving you some cash!
There doesn't appear to be enough ground clearance to do what you're suggesting without cutting out the floorboard. The Wolfe (brand) weld-in sfc's are made that way, but you must cut out a large chunk of the floor to install them like that. Most of the bolt-in and weld-in sfc's I've seen all go straight back like I've done, then tie into the outer edge of the lca somehow. That's exactly what I'm doing, except I'm taking it a step further and tying the lca into the rear frame rail that goes over the axle, I just haven't got that far yet. This method should; stiffen up the back end, tie the sfc into the rear frame rail, and give a stronger mounting location for the rollbar.

Here's a shot of a very typical weld-in sfc. As you can see, they just tied into the lca mount. As mentioned above, I'm taking that one step further and filling that big gap with a piece of the leftover 2"x2" square tubing.

Mike
Old 08-10-2009, 10:05 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Just make sure the suspension is loaded, either on the ground or a drive on lift. NO 2-post lifts and your mint. Also I would paint the bars now, grind where the welds go and hit it again with some rustolium.

Yes thanks, that was suggested to me in another thread also. I think I'm going to support the front end on ramps, and the rearend will be supported by jackstands at the lca mounts on the housing. That should load the entire suspension. And yes, once the notched/angled areas are welded up, the sfc's will be painted before I burn them in for the last time.

Mike
Old 08-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

Would be stronger if you would box around the LCA mounts but i did mine 100% the same way yours look in the pics and they work great car goes,9.7s with 1.3x 60fts,
Old 08-10-2009, 06:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 383racecar
Would be stronger if you would box around the LCA mounts but i did mine 100% the same way yours look in the pics and they work great car goes,9.7s with 1.3x 60fts,
That's encouraging news. Great 1/4 time btw!!

Well, bit the bullet and ordered up the MIG welder today. Did alot of research and finally decided on a Clarke 180EN. Runs on 220v single phase and max output is 180 amps. Should be plenty for what I'll use it for.

I also stumbled upon a used Art Morison 6point rollbar out of a 4th gen here locally, so that will be the next project after these SFC's are burned-in. Has both door swing outs and also has the extra forward upper sections to make it a cage if needed in the future.

Now I can't wait to get the new welder and start burnin' some metal.

Mike
Old 08-10-2009, 07:13 PM
11 Second Club

Looks like a good start.

I bought a 220v welder, a Hobart Handler 187, and it sure is fun! I'm learning on my own, but so far everything has held up to some abuse. The go-karts I made are monsters
Old 08-10-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome man. I appreciate your craftsmanship. I Bought bolt-in SFC's, paid out the ***, and then later welded them in with my dad's mig. It would have payed off to be patient and do things myself. I'm a decent welder, so the welding thing was no problem, the welder was just 4 hours away, and i wanted to go racing!!!
Old 08-11-2009, 06:22 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
You can do them on 2 post lifts.Just load the front subrame and rearend with jacks/stands.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:20 PM
11 Second Club

Those are bad ***. Ive been wanting to do the same thing with my car.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

good job man
Old 08-12-2009, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hey Mikey i can not wait to see the finished product.. Being that are unemployed and i am unemployed.. Want to make some eatra $$$???

What i am asking can you make me a set

I want some SFC but i too am broke

and again cannot wait to see the finished product
Old 08-17-2009, 07:23 PM
Launching!

Looks good.please post pics when finished.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:17 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys. My new MIG welder shows up tomorrow so I'll be welding up these SFC's and the 6 point rollbar this week. I'll post up some pics when they're finished up.

Mike
Old 08-17-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
Thanks guys. My new MIG welder shows up tomorrow so I'll be welding up these SFC's and the 6 point rollbar this week. I'll post up some pics when they're finished up.

Mike
Mike, will you be making me some custom SFCs too
Old 08-18-2009, 12:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Mike, will you be making me some custom SFCs too
LOL,,, I need to finish up mine first. I have a laundry list of things to finish up on the car.

Mike

Quick Reply: Custom SFC's on a budget