Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing Insurance: Anyone have it?

Old 10-18-2009, 03:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Racing Insurance: Anyone have it?

I don't drive my car on public roads because of dumbass drivers anymore, so I was wondering if anyone here had insurance on their racecar's in case it burnt to the groud in a garage or if it was stolen?? What company do you use if so? Please give your $.02.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:19 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Is there a spacific "race insureance?" I would think you would just put fire and theft on it.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

should be covered under homeowner's.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:53 PM
TECH Regular

how about insurance while your towing the car on the trailer. -tony-
Old 10-18-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would thing that comprehensive should be good. It covers stuff that happens to your car while you arent driving it if your homeowners wouldnt.

If trailering the car Id modify the tow vehicles coverage to cover the cargo as well.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

nope personal on the homeowner's don't cover it.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check with the insurance company because often home owners will not cover something that can or does have it's own insurance... A local lost his Camaro to a garage fire and his car insurance is the one that coverd it.

Lots of info on race insurace...... search it in the drag section...
Old 10-18-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tee-boy
should be covered under homeowner's.
wrong....your homeowners policy excludes autos.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 358chevycamaro
I don't drive my car on public roads because of dumbass drivers anymore, so I was wondering if anyone here had insurance on their racecar's in case it burnt to the groud in a garage or if it was stolen?? What company do you use if so? Please give your $.02.

Ask your insurance company if they would be will to cover your car for comprehensive....that will give you the coverage you need.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well let me explain:

Specifically Homeowners insurance excludes motor vehicles.

There is a "drag race" specific insurance, while the car is towed to the track and basically is agreed value.

The major hurddle is that you NEED an enclosed car trailer and a safe and secured garage while it is stored. Insurance stops at the start line and picks up on the return road.

I had done some research for a moderator a while back but he could not get it due to only having an open car trailer.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:17 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Some companies will insure the car under power down the track, it isnt super expensive but its not as cheap as key-off insurance.

I use http://www.dragracersinsurance.com/ , most 'race car' policies require an enclosed trailer and a real garage. Mine covers the car in the pits, return road, towing, plus the trailer, tools, ATV, even if the engine gets stolen from a shop or lost in shipping. Car can not be registered or driven on the street, there is no liability coverage.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Well let me explain:

Specifically Homeowners insurance excludes motor vehicles.

There is a "drag race" specific insurance, while the car is towed to the track and basically is agreed value.

The major hurddle is that you NEED an enclosed car trailer and a safe and secured garage while it is stored. Insurance stops at the start line and picks up on the return road.

I had done some research for a moderator a while back but he could not get it due to only having an open car trailer.
This is what I was curious about. I don't know what companies are good and what ones aren't worth my time. I found some on Google that had websites that looked like a 2 year old designed them and looked kind of pathetic. I currently have full coverage but if I found another alternative that was cheaper and would actually insure my car for what its worth after you figure in the motor and chassis work, etc. That would be ideal especially since full coverage will basically just cover your car in it's worth as a stock car.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:58 AM
Launching!

If you google racing insurance, you will find a few companies that provide this policy.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kp
Some companies will insure the car under power down the track, it isnt super expensive but its not as cheap as key-off insurance.

I use http://www.dragracersinsurance.com/ , most 'race car' policies require an enclosed trailer and a real garage. Mine covers the car in the pits, return road, towing, plus the trailer, tools, ATV, even if the engine gets stolen from a shop or lost in shipping. Car can not be registered or driven on the street, there is no liability coverage.

The under power/on track insurance gets rather expensive the faster you go and the more you race it BUT, it is all relative to the cost of the car. For example having to pay $1,000 a weekend for insurance is not pad if your destroy a car that you have over 200k in. At leas that's what some of the faster single didget guys on YB are saying... said a lot of companies insure based on the E.T/MPH or the car and value. So a 8 sec car will cost more per year then a 9 sec car but you get a larger check if you burn it to the ground...

Search this Thread