Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shuddering on 3-4 shift

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shuddering on 3-4 shift

So after tonights trip to the track, I'm left with a few questions. I posted in the internal section, but figured I'd post in here as well since it looks like I had two things going on.

Here's the story...

First run, going for the 3-4 shift at the top of the track, I pull the shifter to 4th and release the clutch. The whole car shudders like crazy, feels like wheel hop. The kind of thing you'd be a little less surprised to feel on a 1-2 shift. I can't figure out what's going on....

Second run, I'm a little nervous, but the 3-4 shift is normal.

Third run, the shudder situation I had on the first run occurs again. I immediatey clutch-in to coast as soon as this happens. The 'check gages' light catches my eye, and I notice 0 RPM, engine isn't running. As I'm coasting, I turn the key and it just cranks....tries to start...but doesn't. Turn the key off, crank and give it a little gas...and it starts up. I pull it over and hear it ticking at idle. Oil PSI is ok. Shut it off, check oil, check for leaks, everything looks good. I'm assuming/hoping it's a lifter. Drove it the hour-long ride home as gently as I could, ticking the whole way.

Anyone experience anything like this? Any ideas? I've got no clue what was happening on that 3-4 shift and no idea what's wrong with the car now.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds to me like you went 3-->2 instead of 3-->4 and had a mechanical over rev. Might have bent a pushrod or two, be wise to check.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

This has been bugging me all night, all morning! I've done countless WOT 3-4 shifts in this car, never missed once.... and out of the blue, I do it twice in one night?

I guess crazier things could happen.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:36 AM
11 Second Club

My car did the exact same thing to me last time at the track. Ive come to the conclusion that I was grabbing second gear instead of fourth, youre probably doing the same, especially if you have an engine tick now. Mine started doing it after I had the tranny out for a clutch install. When I got home from the track, I was checking everything on the car and found that the bottom center bolt for the tranny mount was loose. I think this allowed the drivetrain to twist slightly when I pressed the clutch (slightly moving the shifter location) and I was grabbing second gear instead. If it happens again, just push in the clutch, dont shift to neutral until youve relaxed and can see where the stick is when you pull it out of gear. Keep us posted cause Im still waiting my next track day with good traction to see if that has fixed my problem.