Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6sp. guys with DR's that HOOK come in please...

Old 11-12-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 6sp. guys with DR's that HOOK come in please...

I'm not a noob and am having decent luck on the 275/50/15 26' MT DR's. I am wondering what some of you other guys are doing that's working? Pinion angle? What shock setting soft/hard? Etc. I pretty much have full suspension minus a k member and a arms. I have to roll the clutch a bit to get it to hook, wasting a little time in the 60ft and would like to see how others are doing. I know i can put a slick on it and dump it; and hook but i like the radials for the street and don't wanna change tires everytime.
The radials don't like 6sp "shock" ie clutch dump i know this, but anyone having sucess? I am also very aware that the stiff sidewall is less for giving when it starts to spin. Like the 26's and keeping the car low, might have to step up to a 275/60/15...i know. Maybe a Hoosier DR for the softer sidewall.
Ideas?
Old 11-12-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i cut 1.5s on my setuo riding the clutch with stock shocks-springs
Old 11-12-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Resident

That's where im at about....looking to go .40's
Honestly this set up ir running damn hard considering the car and weight...always has ran better than expected. Another .10 and it would be faster than i honestly could have expected
Old 11-12-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why don't you scoop me up on the way to madman...
Old 11-13-2009, 04:31 AM
TECH Resident

Because i'm not going this weekend!!!!
Old 11-13-2009, 08:58 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Due to the website losing my last post, here it is again, refined....

I use a bias-ply due my car's weight, which is too much but I have done so well on a 26" tall slick, it needs shocks.

learning that race weight factors in greatly, you def need to get those on the car to control the car.

After you do that, see if it is leaving level or not, if not, look into a drag bar or at least a drag bag.

I noticed there was not much info on the z28. Whats your mods, hp, rear gearing?? Also what tire PSI and other suspension already done. From my exp pinion angle does not factor in as much as shocks or LCA's.

GL on your goal
Old 11-14-2009, 08:45 AM
TECH Resident

Well, i found it
Track was not what it was last week but after some tweaking and etc. i got ahold of it

Guess like i thought not many guys are doin the DR's with a 6sp. I kinda like the challenge, not to mention when you get them to work....they are faster on a DR. I could throw a set of slicks and do a 7k dump and get a better 60ft i'm sure....but for what the set up is....i'm damn happy. Prolly will try a 28' Hoosier DR next, little softer sidewall. The 26's just aren't enough the car wants to get the limiter goin through the traps, a 26'DR, 4.11, and trying to go over 99 in the 1/8 just isn't enough tire. I will update you guys later....it will be a lil while before i get the 28's these have a LOT left on them as much as i drive mine.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chris05ssTruck
Well, i found it
Track was not what it was last week but after some tweaking and etc. i got ahold of it

Guess like i thought not many guys are doin the DR's with a 6sp. I kinda like the challenge, not to mention when you get them to work....they are faster on a DR. I could throw a set of slicks and do a 7k dump and get a better 60ft i'm sure....but for what the set up is....i'm damn happy. Prolly will try a 28' Hoosier DR next, little softer sidewall. The 26's just aren't enough the car wants to get the limiter goin through the traps, a 26'DR, 4.11, and trying to go over 99 in the 1/8 just isn't enough tire. I will update you guys later....it will be a lil while before i get the 28's these have a LOT left on them as much as i drive mine.
Our 6speed vette has cut a best of 1.32 60' with the 275 50 15 tire(25'diameter).
The track needs to be well prepped. We may try a 26" slick next.
Soft loc clutch, alignment, and hoosier.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^ wow, if your taking about robZ you mean 255's I belive, the hooiser DRs.

I race alot on my stock wheels with DR 275/50/16 M&H and was getting mid 1.6s. But I went to a spool, and the cheap Deostech rear shocks, and was getting 1.59s last time. 2step @ 5800- 6200. no sidestep, a fast fast slip/let off dump. pulled them a few inchs, I was impressed.
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...rent=john2.jpg
I also really like racing on the DR, big challange with the m6.

go to the 28 tires, and gear for them. Use the bigger sidwall, your'll like them. Get good shocks, and a stiffer rear sway.

A drag rear sway, to use all the grip of both tires, would help alot too, and a sliper/softloc clutch, but both of thouse you can't really daily drive with. I love my Ram HD clutch, I raced alot on stock tires running mid 11's and had to slip it a bunch. 3K launches, and riding it so the Rs don't get pulled down under 3-4K. Just let the car sit 20 mins no hot lapping and its fine. But you can't do that with like a $$$ "bad ***" stage5 clutchs thats grippy, you can't slip.
The MT should be a better DR, I just run the M&H there the only 28x16s. MT has a 285/50/16 thats been really hard to get. But for your 15s I htink the MT are the best, the fast guys run them.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's gonna require a lot of clutch slip. I'd rather spend the money on track wheels and slicks and replace the tires every couple years instead of cooking the clutch every couple years.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:43 PM
TECH Junkie

if you use a slick it needs to be a stiff sidewall for a 6spd. and if runnign a DR- the softer the sidewall the better, seemed to work for me and others.

Look at ls2bait's set up on here and you can see a 6spd hook pretty dam well, it just takes some practice. I don't know what his setting were on his shocks. I used to have -2 to -3 on the TA, and run 1 on the front shocks and a 3-4 on the rear, and then start palying around with them based on track conditions.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:50 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like you are off to a great start as is. race weight? i would love to use a radial but its just too much damn work on a 6spd car for the little bit of track time i do get. i want my passes to count, not be so much trial and error. i went to the track a month or so ago and made 18 passes on my 17 drag radials trying to see what worked and what didnt, and to be honest it was just mind numbing. and very dependent on track conditions. with a slick i get in and go. adjust shocks as the track dictates. keep us all posted. i am very interested.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

I went to the track on Sunday on a 27' Hoosier QTP. The only thing i am lacking is a rear drag sway bar....stocker is at it's limit. I am pulling the tires on both but car twists so bad on the slick no real difference in 60ft. I have a lil more work to do, but i am happy w/ my results thus far. The radial is a challenge and i like it. Not to mention the difference in how much better it fells goin down the track. BTW...the car still has been faster on the radials..........
Here are some pics of the twist, for sure will lose around a .10th in the 60ft after a good bar out back.
DR's:

Slicks:

Like i said i'm no noob....just looking to see if any of you guys were having sucess. Like i thought all are pretty much sticking to a slick soft wall tire.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:01 PM
12 Second Club

just looking to see if any of you guys were having sucess. Like i thought all are pretty much sticking to a slick soft wall tire.[/QUOTE]

I thought 6speed were using STIFF walled tires not soft? Im in the market for a new drag setup. My M/T et streets (non radial) just arent cutting it. I get descent 60' times at 1.6x but, I want more. Im also a m6 car with suspension minus k-member and a-arms. Just bought a drag bar and thinking of a kmember/a-arms swap over winter.

Im looking into the M&H 27x10 full slick but, am open to any and all suggestions

Last edited by ski23; 12-04-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

No, most are using soft wall tires or slicks. I want the car to work on a stiff wall tire or a Drag Radial.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok im a m6 with full suspention and have a set of mt et streets 26x11.5r15's and want to know what yall would recomend.

et street, et drag or just some radials
Old 12-05-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Resident

The ET Drags will be the easiest to get to hook at the track....on the street a Radial works best. 6SP. cars don't like a radial cause of the hard shock from a clutch dump. To where a slick tires flexs and is much easier to wrinkle and get to hook. A slick is MUCH more forgiving than a DR.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

How do you guys like slicks on the big end? I use a radial and it feels planted on the bit side. i hear the full slick/bias ply is loose on the big side.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine (28x12.50 et street, no tubes) sway a little bit on the big end (135mph) but not enough to make ya pucker.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z284U2TRY
How do you guys like slicks on the big end? I use a radial and it feels planted on the bit side. i hear the full slick/bias ply is loose on the big side.
Like said...it's there and u know it; but not horrible. Run as much psi as u can with it still hooking.
This is why i like the radials and wanna make them work. Not to mention i run radials on the street.

Search this Thread