Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chassis pro's in here. Instant Center calculation question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 03:50 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Chassis pro's in here. Instant Center calculation question.

I have a question regarding adding a torque arm to a leaf spring set up. Correct me if I'm wrong but on a leaf spring rear suspension (w/no traction aids of any kind) the instant center is located at the front mounting bolt of the leaf spring.

If you where to add a torque-arm to the rearend with a front mounting point in a different location (forward or back, higher or lower) would that be the new instant center, or is there a calculation like when using a lower control arm (like an f-body)?

If the later is true, can anyone tell me how to calculate the new IC?

Also, I think I understand the characteristics of the lenght of the IC. The more reward it is, it shock the tires harder initially but also unloads a little quicker. The more forward it is, it shocks the tires less but keeps them planted a little longer. Am I understanding this correctly?

What I don't fully understand is the effects of a higher or lower IC.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the higher the ic the more it will lift the front and transfer weight and use up hp. the lower will want to push the car forward with less hp. but at the cost of less weight transfer to keep the tires hooked

i think performance trends sells a real nice software package to calculate i/c .

as far as ic goes just imagine that is the line of push from the tire contact pointto where it pushes the car forward. the higher it is the more it wants to lift the lower or flatter it is the more it will want to push the car forward with no squat or wheel stand. witch will take less power but will not transfer to maintain traction.

Quick Reply: Chassis pro's in here. Instant Center calculation question.