Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me choose a new Torque arm

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help me choose a new Torque arm

I have a 01' M6 car that will have ET streets on the back soon. I need buy a new (ADJUSTABLE) Torque arm as mine is a old Edelbrock that is attached to the tranny, and it is chewing pinion bearings in my Moser 12 Bolt

I am tempted to go with a UMI because they are 20% off today. Which would work best for the track but still sees allot of street duty with ET Streets?

I am thinking the roto joints with a torque arm relo bracket to get it off the M6.

Is that what you guys would recommend?

BTW I don't mind modding the exh system if necessary.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your eating pinion bearins, you might have other issues. TA is bent to hell, bushing shot, wrong pinion angle, rear was setup wrong, etc etc. Check those things out before you spend $400+. I'm not saying a new arm isn't a bad idea, but those might be some things to look into.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Ours are on sale as well. 380.00
Old 02-21-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a Random Technology adj. T/A that works very well.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1_bad_TA
If your eating pinion bearins, you might have other issues. TA is bent to hell, bushing shot, wrong pinion angle, rear was setup wrong, etc etc. Check those things out before you spend $400+. I'm not saying a new arm isn't a bad idea, but those might be some things to look into.
All the bushings are good but I haven't even bothered to check pinion angle because I don't have a adjustable TA.

The pinion bearings didn't fail, but I pulled the drive shaft this weekend and the pinion seamed loose with exessive slop so I am changing both pinion bearings today.

The reason I was investigating is the axle was getting pressurized and blowing fluid out the overflow tube, axle bearings, etc... especially the pinion seal.

Anybody have any other ideas why the axle might have been overpressuring? Everything looks good now that I have it torn apart.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:49 PM
9 Second Club

I have the UMI TUNNEL MOUNT adjustable and it works great.

As far as the question on over pressurizing the rearend. The only time I have ever heard of this was when the vent tube got clogged. Don't know if that helps?
Old 02-22-2010, 06:21 AM
TECH Resident

Put one of these in my wife's 98 Z. Bolted in except for drilling 6 holes under the seats. DID hit the STOCK exhaust thou. Very nice parts. You do have to run their subframe conncetors to use the T/A as the crossmember bolts to the connectors.

http://swracecars.com/Files/pdf/CATpg16.pdf
Old 02-22-2010, 07:56 AM
TECH Regular

I have a UMI tunnel mount tq arm and love it, I will put one on every fbody I own.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:19 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by adrynalinjunkie
I have a 01' M6 car that will have ET streets on the back soon. I need buy a new (ADJUSTABLE) Torque arm as mine is a old Edelbrock that is attached to the tranny, and it is chewing pinion bearings in my Moser 12 Bolt

I am tempted to go with a UMI because they are 20% off today. Which would work best for the track but still sees allot of street duty with ET Streets?

I am thinking the roto joints with a torque arm relo bracket to get it off the M6.

Is that what you guys would recommend?

BTW I don't mind modding the exh system if necessary.
with where you're at in power and what you do with the car i would suggest our tunnel mounted version. it is all chromemoly construction, has adjustable front height for chassis tuning, and easy pinion angle adjustment at the rear as well. the front of the torque arm is attached to a pivot link, the pivot link attaches to the crossmember with a Energy Suspension poly bushing to eliminate the noise with all the other type of arms. the crossmember also includes a driveshaft loop installed at no extra charge and is offered in a few different setups to accommodate your exhaust... even true duals! we will price match or beat anyone else's deal on this type of torque arm and the quality is as good, usually much better. pm or call me for more info.