Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo in batery location, no master disconnect switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 09:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turbo in batery location, no master disconnect switch

I'm going to relocate my batt. to put my turbo in its spot and I race on the weekends at my local NHRA track that is pretty strick. Does anyone know how to get around having a master disconnect stuck though the rear of the car?
Old 03-05-2010, 10:33 AM
11 Second Club

My home track is Atlanta Dragway (big track). The smaller tracks around, not NHRA don't even pop the hood. But I'm only 20min from Commerce.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

get a small battery and stick it where the pcm goes.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:29 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

Maybe I'm missing something. You have a racecar, you go to the track, and you're adding a turbo.
Wouldn't it be very stupid to not have a cut off in case you have an issue.
You never know what's going to happen, plus the guy next to you never knows what could happen.
I would rather not have my fuel pump feeding a fire if I can't get out.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I've edited all the stupidity out of this thread. If you relocate the battery you MUST put a shutoff in the car, period. If the battery is not located in the factory position, or the car is in the 135+ mph OR 9.99 or faster time range, per NHRA rules you MUST have a shutoff in the car, PERIOD.

I don't care if you have a 15 second car, move the battery, better have a shutoff and it better work.

I've actually been asked to help tech a couple races this year... and believe me I'll be checking for everything.

SAFETY EQUIPMENT IS NOT A PLACE THAT YOU CAN SKIMP... AND IF YOU ARE GOING TO TRY DON'T BOTHER SHOWING UP AT THE TRACK BECAUSE YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO RACE. PERIOD.

Hope this was made clear!
Old 03-05-2010, 12:36 PM
11 Second Club

I don't have a race car. Its a street car that has a/c that I drive to the track and then drive to church on sunday. It gets 22 mile to the gal. I am not going to cut a hole in this car. If I wanted a race car I would build a race car. I have been drag racing street cars for 20 years and I understand all the safety reasons but there are alot of faster production cars that would not pass NHRA rules off the showroom floor. I guess I'll have to stick to the outlaw tracks. Sorry for all the stupidity.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, there is a provision that allows stock cars that would othewise be subject to et/mph rules to run without modification.

You can find a nice way to put a cutoff switch in and either make it look good or make it removable. Look at the mustang guys. They are buying a second passenger side tail light, drilling a hole in it, and using that to route their cutoff switch rod. When they leave the track they just unscrew the rod from the switch, install the normal tail light, and drive home as normal.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:54 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyshane69
I am not going to cut a hole in this car.
You might want to reconsider your turbo location if you're dead-set on not cutting any holes.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mrdragster1970

Maybe I'm missing something. You have a racecar, you go to the track, and you're adding a turbo.
Wouldn't it be very stupid to not have a cut off in case you have an issue.
You never know what's going to happen, plus the guy next to you never knows what could happen.
I would rather not have my fuel pump feeding a fire if I can't get out.

This happened to a buddy here on the forum. His vette almost burned to the ground.

Quick Reply: Turbo in batery location, no master disconnect switch