Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Security?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 07:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trailer Security?

What do you guys have for security on your enclosed? Whether it be at home, or at the track on your rig?

Where I'm parking mine outfront of my house (small town), I put the best locks I found find online, but the man door is facing away from me. I'm thinking of looking for a door switch to set off an alarm inside the house.

What about at the track?

I've seen units for hundreds of dollars online with gps and alarms etc

Right now I have my locks and my .45...just wondering what you guys do to take precautions.

I always try to figure "if they want it, they'll get it" so insurance is the best option obviously.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:24 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

There's ton's of stuff as you saw. Pagers, sirens, motion sensors ect ect.

I never checked into anything myself because I park in the shop.
For the track, I have 5 key rings with keys to the truck, trailer & hitch.
I give a set to my crew chief, wife, and who ever is with me while we are there.
With my weather station, data recorder, lap top and trailer full of tools and spares,
I always lock everything.
That way if something happens to me, or I'm stuck in staging forever they can get in.
I know we all see guys with everything wide open all day and night, but I trust no one.
This is 2010, people are scumbags if they get the chance.

Good luck with your new toy.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:01 PM
TECH Junkie

For the parking at the house, I was trying to find a 12V motion sensor to put inside the trailer, that would set off an alarm in the house

Anybody know of such a thing?

That alarm would give me time to aim
Old 04-07-2010, 11:51 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At my house I park a car in front and behind mine......and I don't keep it loaded until I am ready to hit the road.

--sorry I am not much help if you keep your trailer full of goodies at all times.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:18 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

One of my neighbors across from my business has a trailer,
and they have it hooked into their business alarm.
I still think just getting a full blown system for the doors and motion,
with beeper or cell notification would be a good idea for any trailer sitting outside.

When I got robbed we didn't hear a thing. We got back late one Sun. night
and I was too lazy to pull my wifes car out of the shop and back the trailer in.
We left the truck & trailer out, and that night 9 business' in my area
got all their trucks and trailers broken into. We were just so tired we ended up sleeping in my office,
and none of us heard a thing. I know Tracey and I were beat from a long W/E away,
but the damn dog didn't hear them either. These crooks are good, and a self contained alarm,
and a ton of alarm stickers might just save you a lot of money.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine, at the house is locked up with a big *** padlock on the side, drivers side escape, and 2 on the back. I haev one thru the hitch so that noone's hooking up to it and pulling it away.

As for an alarm inside the trailer, I haven't bought anything yet, but will be soon.

At the track I suggest keeping as much of your stuff inside as you can, close the rear door up if you don't need it open, 1 lock thru that is plenty then, and the side door, I keep that locked too. I generally only have 1 person with me so they get the other keys.

I'm lucky at my house, my neibhor's, couple of them are old, and are big time wombat's LOL, they're always looking at everything that's going on. Hell 3 of them had to come see the trailer when I brought it home within 24 hours of getting it, and they ALL asked what I paid for it.

PITA, but at least I know that they're watching I have them all watching my house during the day in case the "element" deceides to stop by.

I also, when home park in front of it at all times, no way to get it out if the truck's in the way, and I never back up to it with the truck either, that to me is asking for someone to hook it to your truck and steal both. Definitely get it insured and tell them what it's worth really, with everything in it that you add. Insurance might cost a couple bucks more, but better that then having it get stolen and you can't get the $ back you have in it. I have my trailer insured as if it's worth 18000.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Junkie

what do you think? worth the bills??

http://www.drawtite.com/rsa-300-tg2.html
Old 04-11-2010, 09:06 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

That's nice. It looks like the one I have at my shop. Much bigger than I expected.

Since I just read 2 more guys got their trailers stolen this week,
it's probably time to pull the trigger.

Make sure you check the range on that pager.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Junkie

says 1/2 mile range. Of course, you could go all out and get the GPS locator on it too.

Look like the thing to go with, or have you found a better system? I like the idea of a siren, so if it's the middle of the night at home, I'll hear it.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:16 PM
Race your car!

I was thinking about this the other day, a system like that.

A friend of mine told me about a camera you can get, that you can hook up to your PC via an RJ45 cable that will record up to 1 week on your PC's hard drive and constantly over-write that part, or you can set it for whatever time frame ya want.

that way I have full video of my back yard, trailer and garage... I have a peak I could put the thing in adn run the wire thru the attic to my upstairs room where the comptuer is.

This way I have everything on video. Plus I'm putting motion lights on the front of the garage, and one on the back peak and front peak (flood light style), any of them go on the whole back yard will be lit up. I "think" this will be adequate.

This along with the Barrett 50 caliber I saw at the local gun store the other day
Old 04-12-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I was thinking about this the other day, a system like that.

A friend of mine told me about a camera you can get, that you can hook up to your PC via an RJ45 cable that will record up to 1 week on your PC's hard drive and constantly over-write that part, or you can set it for whatever time frame ya want.

that way I have full video of my back yard, trailer and garage... I have a peak I could put the thing in adn run the wire thru the attic to my upstairs room where the comptuer is.

This way I have everything on video. Plus I'm putting motion lights on the front of the garage, and one on the back peak and front peak (flood light style), any of them go on the whole back yard will be lit up. I "think" this will be adequate.

This along with the Barrett 50 caliber I saw at the local gun store the other day
The system looks nice...I've found it on a ton of different websites, yet to find a review, other than "XXXX units sold, zero trailers stolen and not recovered" or something to that affect. Another words, nobody got away with it.

The Barrett is nice, but I bought a nice Savage .308, and I can still clip the wings off a fly at 500 yards without a problem

Whats your opinion on the trailer brakes locking? I've got a HEAVY duty ball/hitch lock....but I figure if you set off enough sirens, they are going to book it?
Old 04-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Race your car!

I have a better idea if you're gonna leave the trailer sitting for a long period.. pull the tires off and put the thing on jackstands.

I have to get some more stone where I have mine parked to level it off a little better, but once I have that done, I'm tempted to pull the tires and throw them in the trailer. Let someone try to steal that LOL.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Junkie

not a bad idea actually

I stopped by the trailer store to get my winch, finally came in, and asked them about security and they had the Trailer Guard 1.5 in stock and that's what they use, so I picked it up.

Now I just have to install it!
Old 04-12-2010, 07:54 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

I know I'm different because I park my stuff inside.
You will get sick & tired of moving crap all the time.
Over time more and more stuff will be left in the trailer,
especially during the season.
Anything and everything you can do to keep them out AND keep them from taking it is needed.
When we fell asleep in my office, it was hooked to a $40,000 truck
and they didn't steal the rig.
They broke in and ripped the cabinets apart, stole tools, ect.
There was a car, truck, 4 wheeler there for the taking.
Just remember, not all loser scumbags want the whole thing.
They just want what's inside.

Be careful everyone. The scumbags are out in force!!

Old 04-12-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Junkie

this has a door switch for both doors, along with a vibration sensor for if they take off or something

lights flash and 2 sirens go off, AND the brakes lock up.

I'm glad I bought this...for the small price, it's worth it hands down.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Large German Shepherd and a Mossberg 500.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:40 AM
On The Tree

If you got it setup so they cant hook it up and tow it away. I really dont think you will have people messing with it. If its a heavy duty enclosed, just put those really good hardened locks on and park it as close to the house as you can. you could probably put something on the wheels to lock them in place too. But if you got the .45 you might as well put a sign up saying try it.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt
what do you think? worth the bills??

http://www.drawtite.com/rsa-300-tg2.html
Damn I like that alot.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:32 AM
TECH Junkie

^^ It's a really nice piece. Just from looking it over in the box. I still need to hook it up, but made in the USA!!
Old 04-13-2010, 09:37 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I'd get a tongue lock. If they make a GPS locator like a Lo-Jack I think it's worth it.