Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Set Up Where To Start

Old 04-20-2010, 08:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Set Up Where To Start

I will be taking my new setup to the track this friday and need some ideas on a basline for launching the car.

2000 Trans Am A4, Pacesetter longtubes, ORY, magnaflow catback, UMI lower control arms and relocation brackets, UMI SFC's, TCI 3500 stall, 2.73 rear end gear, and BFG DR's mounted on stock rims.

What would be a good launch RPM (car seems to footbrake around 2200-2400) with the DR's

What would be a good PSI to run in the DR's (they will be brand new)

My best at this track last year with just the cat back and lid was a 13.55 so I hope to hit the 13.00's.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:00 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by waggz
I will be taking my new setup to the track this friday and need some ideas on a basline for launching the car.

2000 Trans Am A4, Pacesetter longtubes, ORY, magnaflow catback, UMI lower control arms and relocation brackets, UMI SFC's, TCI 3500 stall, 2.73 rear end gear, and BFG DR's mounted on stock rims.

What would be a good launch RPM (car seems to footbrake around 2200-2400) with the DR's

What would be a good PSI to run in the DR's (they will be brand new)

My best at this track last year with just the cat back and lid was a 13.55 so I hope to hit the 13.00's.

There is a current thread going on in this section about launching with a loose converter and such. Several threads I think will help you. I just recently swapped to an auto so I'm in a learning curve as is but search and read and reread is your best friend! GL
Old 04-21-2010, 06:52 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Carter01
There is a current thread going on in this section about launching with a loose converter and such. Several threads I think will help you. I just recently swapped to an auto so I'm in a learning curve as is but search and read and reread is your best friend! GL
Did a search for loose converter and did not find what I need. Sometimes the search button is not the end all/be all for information. I am more interested in ideas specific to my setup and what might work with it.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Some converters like being stalled as high as possible, some like being flashed from idle. Just go to the track and try leaving at different rpm levels and see what your car likes best.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:17 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by waggz
Did a search for loose converter and did not find what I need. Sometimes the search button is not the end all/be all for information. I am more interested in ideas specific to my setup and what might work with it.
Anyone launch at idle with a loose converter? by omcar - This thread that I am talking about is in the same section you posted this one but like 10 down the list below yours. I wasn't trying to be a smart A about the search function, I meant what I said due to the fact that you can learn alot from searching especially since what you are looking for is on the first page of the threads below your post. I was trying to help you
Old 04-22-2010, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

With your rear gear..launch at 1200 tire pressure at 20. Next time you get tires go for the M/T drag radials..
You will get a million opinions..stick with what works..Do a light burnout but not in the water..pull through or back into the wet area.
Good luck.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:49 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Carter01
Anyone launch at idle with a loose converter? by omcar - This thread that I am talking about is in the same section you posted this one but like 10 down the list below yours. I wasn't trying to be a smart A about the search function, I meant what I said due to the fact that you can learn alot from searching especially since what you are looking for is on the first page of the threads below your post. I was trying to help you
Oh I know, but there seems to be a standard answer on here sometimes of "use the search". I understand that when people ask "what is the best rear end" or something like that.

This is not my first rodeo

I found a thread about launching with a loose converter that was locked but did not have a ton of good info for my application.

Search this Thread