Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keeping a transmission cool

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 12:57 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Keeping a transmission cool

I've got a question on the best way to keep my TH400 really cool in between rounds. I run SuperPro and No Electronics and I pretty much run BACK TO BACK literally. All I have right now a is a small dinky cooler.

So some of you guys, how are you keeping yours cool? I was thinking about getting a bigger cooler and slapping a fan on it and also running it through a "water pump" setup so that it will keep circulating even when the car is shut off.

My car will run a 7.05 then all the sudden pick up to a 6.99 and I think it's because when I run back to back with no cool down time that the transmission fluid gets real thin and picks the car up, especially with it having to turn through the TH400. I may be completely wrong though. I do know that when the car does get a chance to cool down due to an oil down it will slow back to a 7.05 again.

Any idea?
Old 05-23-2010, 01:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a 24Kgvw cooler on my th400 and is never gets above 180 degrees. I don't really know about how consistent it is hot lapping it though.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:28 AM
9 Second Club

here's a pic of my trans cooler, forget the brand but I beat the crap out of my th350, back to back runs at track rentals, hot lapped as many as 3 times in a row no problem.
Street and highway drive with it as well.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:36 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Driving 100 mph on the return road will help allot too! Keeping air flowing over the cooler.

Might get kicked off the track but then you won't have any heat concerns anymore, sounds like the best solution to me!

I hope everyone knows I am kidding.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:31 PM
7 Second Club

I know if mine get between 150-165 temp it will pick up 2-4 hund in the 1/8 mile as well on a TH400. Buying a fan for the cooler is likely your best bet (or start keeping track on the temp and dial accordingly which is what I do).

Derek
Old 05-24-2010, 02:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you running synthetic atf? This is usually good for a solid 10 degree drop. And no it's not more slippery than conventional as some think. The best trade off is that it is more consistant and can take higher temps. Coupled with a properly sized cooler there should be no reason for extra measures even for this application.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:36 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The biggest heat issue your going to deal with is heat generated by a T-brake as that will make the fluid cook. Aside from keeping it off the brake as much as possible. Having the largest cooler in a good space is helpful.

Getting a deep, finned pan, a better type of fluid like said and some guys get a blower fan that goes underneath the car and hits the oil pan of the engine and I am sure will hit the trans pan and take some heat off as well.

As for the water pump type set up, i cannot say, I do not know if it will hurt any seals if the parts are not moving.

Quick Reply: Keeping a transmission cool