Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone buy the ebay roll cage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 06:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anyone buy the ebay roll cage?

I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of it installed and how the fitment was
Old 06-19-2010, 06:57 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think a roll cage is something you want to buy off ebay! Don't risk your own safety to save money when it comes to a roll cage. Unless it's a well know company selling on ebay.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:17 PM
8 Second Club

Not only do you not want to risk your safety but do a favor for the guy who will be welding the cage in! If you're worried about fitment it will be a big headache. Wolfe Racecraft makes a nice cage we have them in both of our cars.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSPerformance
Not only do you not want to risk your safety but do a favor for the guy who will be welding the cage in! If you're worried about fitment it will be a big headache. Wolfe Racecraft makes a nice cage we have them in both of our cars.
I'll be welding the cage in, that's why I asked about fitment.

As for safety, the exact same thickness is used with each company. The jig notching is included in the ebay cage, but is an extra $325 option with the wolfe racecraft cage.

It's really stupid how people automatically think ebay is an unsafe/cheap alternative. Do some research on what you buy and you could save some money/time.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:50 PM
8 Second Club

You get what you pay for...
Old 06-19-2010, 08:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSPerformance
You get what you pay for...
Hopefully someone will chime in that has actually purchased the cage. I get what you're saying, but they are the same thickness and material.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wolfe makes some great stuff. Im really happy with the fit on there setup for a street car. I hada bolt in steel, and went to a weld in 4130. But I got some tubes not fitting that great, Called and david sent me a new hoop, paided for shipping and and everything. Took a little longer than said, and I had to change some other stuff still. I know **** happens, and not complaining. For bending some tubing shippining across the US and around the world to un knows places and cars. Including hacked up cars, and retards working on them. Takes some ***** and skills to do, but even the best stuff has bad days.

I know eaby sucks and all, but heard what I think your talking about is form a chassie shop called SOS or SSS or somthing here in the US: south carilina??? They sell them on Egay, but its not over seas junk. Heard some guys on here were happy with them, and the shop dose good work, and it is a US part. Look them up and I'm sure you can find a shop number and call and talk to the guys bending them and get were the tubing is from even. (US)
Old 06-19-2010, 08:14 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
As for safety, the exact same thickness is used with each company.
So that means it's the same quality tubing on ebay?

And like I said before, if it's a well known company then you should be fine with the ebay cage. W/o a link or something no one knows what company it is from.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are putting something almost permanent in your car. Spend a little extra and get a name to stand behind the product. Call Eric at Midwest Chassis, best price you'll find on quality piece. I like Wolfe also just not the wait time for one.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:08 PM
9 Second Club

what cage?? post the link or let me know the company.

Originally Posted by studderin

I know eaby sucks and all, but heard what I think your talking about is form a chassie shop called SOS or SSS or somthing here in the US: south carilina??? They sell them on Egay, but its not over seas junk. Heard some guys on here were happy with them, and the shop dose good work, and it is a US part. Look them up and I'm sure you can find a shop number and call and talk to the guys bending them and get were the tubing is from even. (US)
Its SOS or southern outlaw speed, im thinking it is their cage and if so, just because they sell it on ebay doesnt mean its junk, its the best premade cage for these cars available that I have seen with my own eyes and also cheaper, Im putting it in my car right now and have not had to touch anything, and we are very very picky. Its a great piece. Just an FYI,
Old 06-19-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cages and bars vary like engines. You could have a 400$ 5.3 or a 52k $ 2000 hp peice of art.

Im doing one now.....that you cant see. A cage that fits BEHIND the oem plastic on the A pillars. The main hoop is IN the roof. The head liner can actually go back in and cover the main hoop. It has more head room now then stock even at the top of the window getting in the car. The only part you will be able to see are the rear bars, and a short section of the main hoop on both sides.

Just depends on what you want. I ve thought about selling pre bent cages, but Im afraid of the complaints I might get because they never did one like I do. Every builder is different.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:08 AM
11 Second Club

There is a Southern Outlaw brand but it says its from MIA Motorsports that is chromoly and there is also one from Broke Dick Racing that can be purchased in EWS, DOM, or chromoly
Old 06-20-2010, 07:11 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1320
Cages and bars vary like engines. You could have a 400$ 5.3 or a 52k $ 2000 hp peice of art.

Im doing one now.....that you cant see. A cage that fits BEHIND the oem plastic on the A pillars. The main hoop is IN the roof. The head liner can actually go back in and cover the main hoop. It has more head room now then stock even at the top of the window getting in the car. The only part you will be able to see are the rear bars, and a short section of the main hoop on both sides.

Just depends on what you want. I ve thought about selling pre bent cages, but Im afraid of the complaints I might get because they never did one like I do. Every builder is different.
I like the idea, but I don't imagine it working with a t-top car. I really don't care if the cage is seen either.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:58 AM
On The Tree

Have you thought about a comp engineering cage kit. I have one that is sitting in the shop waiting to go in. The tubes are not notched, but they are left a little long so that you can fit them. The price is really good aswell.

As far as being cheap. If the cage fits the rules in the rule book then it is legal. As long as the tubes are the right diameter and they are in the in the correct locations. I am NOT nocking wolfe or any other company. But I am not going to pay a high price for something that I can do.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:15 AM
FormerVendor

here is my take on this-

there are so many types of tubing out there-you really cannot be sure what you are getting,thickness means nothing.I have personally seen cheap tubing split right down the seam when impacted.

The only way to be sure what you are getting is from a reputable company that has been used time and time again.

Is it really worth risking your life for a couple hundred dollars?The only reason i am alive today is because of a good quality roll cage that was installed CORRECTLY.I had a high 8 sec car on street tires(which in 99' was a big deal)anyway something in the rear broke at the 1/8 and i barrel rolled 14 times going over 130mph.I walked away with a couple bruises.

I've seen a guy get killed in a 11sec car because he didn't have the proper safety equipement and blew a tire going down the track.If you blow a tire at 100+ mph-what do you think happens?

my point is you can't ever be too cautious when you are dealing with safety on these cars.If your dead-it doesn't matter how much money you saved-does it?
Old 06-20-2010, 09:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

agreed with shawn 100%! seriously, its your life.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:49 AM
7 Second Club

Well put Shawn. Plenty of places to save a buck when doing a car, but safety is not an area I'd do it in.

Derek
Old 06-20-2010, 10:54 AM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I love how people are always trying to save money, no matter what the repercussions may be. Racing is EXPENSIVE, if you cant handle it pick up a new hobby! Like Shawn said, if your dead that 200 bucks wont matter for ****.

Sean
Old 06-20-2010, 10:59 AM
11 Second Club

I got this email today from Chris Diebold regarding his ebay roll cage:

I was half owner in SOS and I broke away. The same people for the last 20 yrs are still building them. SOS actually gets these cages from me. That ad was made when I was just SOS
Old 06-20-2010, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Have a custom cage built. This is your life we are talking about here. I just had Clay (LSmonster) of Forrester Racing Engines build me a custom chromoly 10 point cage. He made sure everything was exactly to spec and then some. Everything was taylor made to my dimensions while in the car. You won't get that with a crappy mail order kit. The fit and finish of my cage in awesome.

Do yourself a favor and have a local shop build you a cage.

Quick Reply: Anyone buy the ebay roll cage?