Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

staging temp

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default staging temp

Does anyone know if LS1 like to be operated at higher temps for drag racing ? Old school methods of staging with the water as cool as possible, oil as hot as possible... do these apply to the FI LS1's ?
Old 06-28-2010, 07:38 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kinda hard to answer without knowing the extent of mods on said engine. I know my Formula likes to be staged no less than 190 degrees for good consistency, plus much higher than 205 the fans will kick on the high side and it loses a little power due to the higher demand on the alternator.

Derek
Old 06-28-2010, 09:47 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

My 6.0 doesn't seem to care, back to back runs or pushing it through the pits in cool late night air. My motor is fairly factory if this helps at all.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

mine is the most consistent from 180-190
Old 07-02-2010, 06:49 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Superstockracer
Does anyone know if LS1 like to be operated at higher temps for drag racing ? Old school methods of staging with the water as cool as possible, oil as hot as possible... do these apply to the FI LS1's ?
Old School Methods worked because the technology was just not there, there were only so many kinds of viscosity in engine oil, and tolerences were always loose and this helped against parasitic loss. They wanted water as cool as possible as it often still ran through the intake manifold and it had a adverse effect on Intake Temps which in turn would throw off the Carb/Ignition settings as well as avoiding vapor lock. Having/Knowing the Outside Air Temp and DA, then making the coolant temp a constant, you can really make a car consistant.

With FI cars there are parameters and settings that compensate for this variation. Most Nitrous cars in the LSX world will still run the motor to temp on a standard set of plugs, then swap in the nitrous plugs and the name of the game is avoid having the heads lifted due to coolant. Some guys out there have go as far has hard blocking the bottom end, thicker & stronger head studs, thicker side walls, welding/sealing off coolant ports in the head or not running coolant at all!!!

The cooling method of racers vary, especially those who run Alcohol Fuel, that creates it own variations and requirements.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

I bracket race and need to stage at 190ish for consistency. It does not like being cooler or hotter as fans will come on.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:47 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I played with this alot, and never found staging it with it any cooler helping at all, I have my fans on at 190 and with the elec water pump, I've never come out of the burnout box and not had the fans on.

Granted, I warmed the car and then would pull the plugs and put fresh cold nitrous plugs in every trip, this was done to keep the plugs as clean as possible.

That being said... temp wise, the car was usually up to 190 when I pulled the plugs, and I've never made a pass with it any cooler. I would, let the elec water pump run in the pits for 5 min or so after a run which would bring the temps back down from the 200 I'd see on the return road to around 170, but by the time I was out of the burnout, it was back to 195ish, fans on, and I was staging the car.

Driving it around a little bit, it usually just stayed at about 200, never got any warmer then that (gauge does work) regardless the weather, etc.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:02 AM
Internet Mechanic

^ To Add to that.

There is a Gimmick out there that some people have used. It is kind of like a strap you put over the motor and then you insert frozen gel packets which basically simulate a person racing with a Bag of Ice on the car. Like said IMO its a Gimmick that would not be realistic for street use and at the track in most classes, people are often FASTER then the Index but dial down to get the win.

If you need something like that to win, go home and go back to the drawing board.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:13 AM
Race your car!

That's the same thing as a nitrous intercooler spray bar LOL. If you're gonna run a boosted setup with an air to air, and then carry the nitrous in the car too, mine as well just put a single nozzle in before the intake, and ingest the nitrous instead of spraying it on the OUTSIDE of an intercooler LOL.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:20 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
That's the same thing as a nitrous intercooler spray bar LOL. If you're gonna run a boosted setup with an air to air, and then carry the nitrous in the car too, mine as well just put a single nozzle in before the intake, and ingest the nitrous instead of spraying it on the OUTSIDE of an intercooler LOL.
Yea, when I was interested in a SRT-4 Neon, that was a Big "Toy" Mod, Spray bar, but theirs was water, so it be cleap for street use and supposedly made a difference. RICE!!
Old 07-02-2010, 08:32 AM
Race your car!

That setup that you're thinking actually uses the washer bottle so that you don't have to even use a tank. Ineffective at best, you're spraying water from a heat soaked engine bay on the intercooler. Talk about a waste :
Old 07-02-2010, 08:49 AM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like to roll through the burnout box at 145-150.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:15 AM
Race your car!

This is something I'm going to kep an eye on more closely as the car gets put back together... with the sibstantially smaller radiator, I am going to probably have to run the pump more. I'm also doing a couple different things with the cooling system, in an effort to try to make the back cyl's happy/more evenly cooled... not sure if it will help or hurt.. that's to be determined.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:20 AM
Internet Mechanic

You maybe a good canidate for that Floor blow dryer, the same used for drying out carpets to help cool the engine bay or underneath for a trans fluid cooler.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:30 AM
CARTEK Racing

Don't they usualy just spray CO2 at the intercooler? Any compressed gas would do, because expantion csouses it to cool. Either way, I think the kits spray CO2 not N2O

As far as the temps, I like to see 178 in the burnout box Wth the Trick Flows however it seems that the car is running a little hotter than it did with the 243's Not sure if its the heads, maybe the EWP is going. Hope not tho, ****'s expencive!
Old 07-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
You maybe a good canidate for that Floor blow dryer, the same used for drying out carpets to help cool the engine bay or underneath for a trans fluid cooler.
There's a glide setup, I think TCI makes it, that has an electric pump on it, I was thinking about maybe looking into that so I can circulate the tranny fluid and the coolant on the return road to help cool everything down...

Alex it might be Co2, I think I've seen both, regardless, that's a little : IMO
Old 07-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Internet Mechanic

There's a glide setup, I think TCI makes it, that has an electric pump on it, I was thinking about maybe looking into that so I can circulate the tranny fluid and the coolant on the return road to help cool everything down...
That would be the Shizz