Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Next suspension mod, ordering next week.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next suspension mod, ordering next week.

Well I have decided to stay on a radial(275/60/15) instead of going to a slick. All of my current mods are in my sig. I have talked to a couple different sponsors and shops about which would make the biggest difference for traction and get different answers, I just want to get what will work the best because I am ordering next week. The choice is between front DA shocks and springs, rear DA shocks, or a drag bar. I still have stock shocks and springs, I cant afford to put DA shocks on all four corners. Thanks for the help and advise guys. Just a little more info about the car, running a 150 shot progressed. Best time is a 6.87@100mph 1/8th with a 1.57 60'.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:10 PM
Coal Mining Director

I'd just do it in stages until I did it all.

AFCO front DA's with springs and cheap CE rears.

Then a bar.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Launching!

strange single adj front shocks and springs = $400
comp 3-way rear shocks = $100 (have several cars cutting 1.3s and better 60fts)
thats were i would start.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:37 PM
Launching!

i know it wasn;t in your choices but you should call eric at midwest chasis and talk to them.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I'm going back and forth between Strange shocks and Afco's, I will probably just spend the extra buck to get the Afco's. I'm just not sure if I should do the fronts or rears first. A couple people have told me the front shocks will have the greatest impact, but one of the sponsors on here told me to put the rear shocks on first. As far as the drag bar, when I can get the car to hook up it pulls both the wheels up and stays strait. I'm not sure if a drag bar will help me get traction or not, I thought it was to keep the car from twisting.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slayer performance
i know it wasn;t in your choices but you should call eric at midwest chasis and talk to them.
Yeah I have been talking to him, thats who I got my rear end and suspension from, great guys over there! You said people were cutting 1.3's with strange single adjustables, were they on a slick or a radial?
Old 07-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Launching!

i was talking about cars with comp 3-way rear shocks. but i have seen several 1.4s and a few 1.3s with single adjust, both slicks and radials. radials aare starting to take over everything.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah the shop that tunes my car keeps telling me to stay with the radial because its a little faster, its just a pain to get it to hook and not as consistent. I can get front DA Afco shocks and springs for $700. Or I can get the Strange SA shocks and springs, and the comp eng. in the back for about $500. It would be nice to save some money, but I dont mind spending the extra buck to get something that I know will work.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:31 PM
Launching!

if money isn't really a issue then i agree with you. i would stick with strange either way though, IMO. but you could save some on the shocks and springs and get more goodies too lol
Old 07-10-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I came across a good deal on some nice heads, but before I add more power I need to get it to hook. So you would stay with strange instead of the afco's? I thought afco was/is the best shock. I mean if I can get it to work on the strange shocks I will just get them.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Launching!

to be honest afco is better but not much better. i have seen several people switch from srtange to afco and not pick up anything and the ones that did improve only picked up
.001 to .005. the adjusments are finer on afco but i dont think it makes a differance unless you have a full on drag car with some stupid power.
the only thing im not sure about is the drag bar, i have talked to several people that say it made the biggest change out of everything. i thought it was to stop twist only also, but they said they can dial in the suspension better by setting preload on the rear tires and so on.... so maybe get strange shocks in the front and comp 3-way in the rear (if they dont work you can get $80 back out of them) then use the extra money for a drag bar.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slayer performance
to be honest afco is better but not much better. i have seen several people switch from srtange to afco and not pick up anything and the ones that did improve only picked up
.001 to .005. the adjusments are finer on afco but i dont think it makes a differance unless you have a full on drag car with some stupid power.
the only thing im not sure about is the drag bar, i have talked to several people that say it made the biggest change out of everything. i thought it was to stop twist only also, but they said they can dial in the suspension better by setting preload on the rear tires and so on.... so maybe get strange shocks in the front and comp 3-way in the rear (if they dont work you can get $80 back out of them) then use the extra money for a drag bar.
Yeah lately I have been hearing the same thing about the drag bars. That is a pretty good plan though. Would you suggest DA or SA Stranges up front?
Old 07-10-2010, 10:34 PM
Launching!

if you have the money and have farther plans for car you may want the double's. there is more adjusting to get everything dialed in.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I will do the doubles. I'll call Eric middle of next week. Thanks for the help and ideas. BTW your car looks f'n sweet!
Old 07-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Launching!

eric is a great guy! and thank about the car, i am changing up the looks a little i will post new pics later thi week. and no problem on the help, anytime you need an idea let me know.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

took your advise, called Eric and ordered some DA strange shocks, springs, and some comp 3 way shocks for the rear.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:15 PM
Launching!

awesome keep me updated!!