Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! Oiling issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 08:50 PM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Exclamation HELP!!! Oiling issue

I already posted this in the internal engine section, but I figured Id get a quicker answer in my home section

OK we have a brand new TSP LQ9 short block, melling oil pump, LS7 lifters, comp push rods, stock rockers. We have only started the motor a hand full of times and idled it. Started to hear a squeak on the driver side, so we pulled the valve cover and saw some glitter by the front most rocker. Pulled all of the rockers on both sides, pulled all of the push rods on both sides cleaned it all made sure the oil passages were good and clean, then put it all back together.

BTW when we pulled the push rod from the bad rocker, oil came out but it didn't make it to the top.

Put it all together, hooked up the oil pressure gauge, started it saw about 40psi at an 800RPM idle, gave it a lil gas (maybe 1500rpm) good pressure (closer to 50psi) and then started to hear the squeak again. Then we drained the break in oil, changed the filter and put in regular 5W30 oil and started it, same thing. Same oil pressure, same squeak. My only thought is something with the lifters, but before we go and pull the head lets hear what you all think.

Thanks in advance,

Sean
Old 07-31-2010, 12:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the guide plates rubbing a push rod? Thats about the only thing I could think of that would squeak. I had to modify my TFS guide plate to get the correct geometry. Just a thought and something I would look into. Check the Push rods for abnormal wear.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only some guesses.

Pressurize the oil system with a pre bleeder and rotate the engine by hand with no rockers or pushrods and see if oil is coming out of the top of the lifters. If no, pull a lifter and see if you have oil making it to the lifter bore. If you have oil to the bore make sure the lifter feed recess is passing by the oil feed hole during the cam motion. Try a stock lifter to confirm. Lifter changes and sometimes different cam base circle sizes cause this problem. Never had it on an LS but have seen it on other engines.

Lack of oil causes that squeak. We see it on inline industrial engines that have the head gasket installed wrong covering the rocker shaft oil feed hole.

Last edited by STOCK1090; 07-31-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"OK we have a brand new TSP LQ9 short block"

Possible problem??