Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

manual brake conversion with super hard pedal

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default manual brake conversion with super hard pedal

I just conconverted to a manual brake cyclinder. I put in a bmr master. but the brake pedal is super hard. I was wondering if it is because I still have stock brakes and need to switch to light weight brakes?
Old 08-03-2010, 11:25 PM
Teching In

Check you pedal ratio, most common problem... http://www.wilwood.com/TechTip/TechPedalTip.aspx (bottom of page)

scot
Old 08-04-2010, 05:26 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

As mentioned, did you drill another hole in the pedal to get the angle, and ratio right? If not that's the problem.

The manual brakes are going to be a good bit stiffer, that's the nature of having no power assist... if you did relocate the rod to the master on the pedal and it's still really stiff, that might just be normal.

I'd try driving the car SLOWLY and see if it stops o.k., like in the driveway, couple mph, etc. Start there, might be just something you have to get used to
Old 08-04-2010, 06:21 AM
TECH Addict

explain super hard? I've driven more than one vehicle without power brakes and none of them seemed just a whole lot different than a power setup, they dont stop quiet as good, but that could be partially that they had rear drums.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Like everyone else mentioned you do need to re drill the mounting spot on the brake pedal to help with pedal ratio or the pedal will be harder .

The 4th gen Camaro has probably one of the biggest issues with this that I know of .....

IF you need any help just give me a call here at the office and I can help you out
Old 08-04-2010, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

i saw raising the hole about an 1" up while searching. its just my friend helped me do mine and did it exactly as his but his is not as firm as mine. and the only difference is he has strange brakes. i guess we will try raising the hole tonight. and when i say firm it like grab the steering wheel and push firm. there is barley a few inches of play before the peddle stops moving.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

Thanks you for the suggestions. will def try moving the mounting spot tonight.

Quick Reply: manual brake conversion with super hard pedal