Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lug Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lug Question

DISCLAIMER: I know, I know.... This is about lugnuts so maybe it should go in "Wheels and Tires." The reason I'm posting it here is because it specifically deals with lugnuts that are most often used in drag race setups and could solve a problem that a ton of people are irritated with.

OK, my main question is simple, does anyone know of a company that makes mag shank lugs that are COMPLETELY stainless or aluminum I'm so sick and tired of having the chromed lugs (even the fancy/expensive/lifetime guaranteed McGuards) rust and mess up my wheels or just look bad.

I just picked up a new set of drag wheels that I paid WAYYYY too much for, and I REFUSE to see them get stained by rust. I see that Mark Williams makes a stud/nut kit, but I really don't need 5/8 studs in the front and rear and I don't like the look of the big spacers that come along with that.

Any ideas?
Old 08-17-2010, 01:22 PM
9 Second Club

I think the washers are what used to rust when we ran Mcgaurds.
Somone makes a stainless steel washers, replace the Mcgaurd washers with the stainless and I dont hink it will rust. Been a while but I think it worked for us.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wish that was the case... The exact opposite is what is true for me. The washers look fine (packaging said they were stainless), but the lugs themselves are rusting....

The local speed shop I go to swears by these things, "Oh they'll never rust... I put mine on with an impact and have never chipped the chrome... Etc." I have been super careful with mine and haven't had such luck. JUNK!

/rant
Old 08-17-2010, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The McGuard lugs are chrome plated, on the back side of the hex they rub on the stainless steel washer, the plating comes off, and they rust.

I havent seen Stainless lugs yet - might be a strength issue.

Ive found WD40 when you put them on, and use WD40 often. Any rust you get on the washers, soak them in oven cleaner, rinse with water, then WD40.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's the problem... I don't really think it's a strength issue... There are plenty of other styles of lugs made out of stainless. I understand that due to the metallurgy, it's slightly weaker, but it's not enough that anyone should be worried about it, right?

Also, when you spend as much as you do on 20 lugnuts they ought not rust PERIOD... You shouldn't have to cover them in this, that, and the other to keep them from looking bad.

Maybe I'm just asking too much?
Old 08-17-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know what you're saying and completely agree with you. The shank lugs I have on my Prostars rust and look horrible. I wish there was another alternative.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I did was a google search. Under Aluminum Lug Nut M12X1.5 (12 mm X 1.5 pitch)

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/me...tegory_Code=L1

This is just an example, mostly ricer stuff but I guess there is stuff out there. That link was a Alum/Mag alloy but I am sure if you look under the size needed you will get more hits.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Those would be great, but they are a conical/acorn style. I'm looking for shank style lugs in an alternative material to chromed steel.

I've Googled until I truly couldn't understand how Google returned the results it did with no luck... I'm beginning to wonder if I can get one of my buddies who works at a machine shop to just make me some!!!
Old 08-17-2010, 03:34 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by ryarbrough
Those would be great, but they are a conical/acorn style. I'm looking for shank style lugs in an alternative material to chromed steel.

I've Googled until I truly couldn't understand how Google returned the results it did with no luck... I'm beginning to wonder if I can get one of my buddies who works at a machine shop to just make me some!!!
He probably could, just make sure the rating has enough Tensile strength for proper clamping force.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's your solution. A bit pricey but they won't rust and won't gaul the wheel at all.
http://www.insidecompracing.com/show...highlight=nuts
Old 08-17-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's another, cheaper option that I did. I bought the aluminum 1/4" spacers that are normally used in the 5/8 stud kits. They fit perfectly over the shank of the lug nuts. The only thing is you still have the chrome lug nuts, but the spacers won't rust and they won't gaul you wheels. I got a set of 10 from quartermax.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SWeiser31
Here's your solution. A bit pricey but they won't rust and won't gaul the wheel at all.
http://www.insidecompracing.com/show...highlight=nuts
EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED....

I wish we had a reputation system on this site.... you would have definately gotten +repped for that!
Old 08-18-2010, 07:59 AM
Internet Mechanic

Let me know if you get ahold of that guy, it maybe worth my time to get those.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I will... I'm trying to work a discount deal with some local guys... I'll add you to the list of interested parties if I can get something going.

He's very responsive to e-mails!
Old 08-18-2010, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Crap... Now I need to find a set of 12X1.5 nuts to fit the front lugs....... This is looking like it's going to be fun...
Old 08-18-2010, 11:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Hell i would buy a set if i knew where to buy them. more info
Old 08-18-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

You'll have to email them based on the contact info in the link (noone that's a sponsor here offers this kind of thing... please leave the link up for us guys). He says he has 12mm sleves right now, and will have 1/2 inch sleves next week... The problem is he does not have a supplier for, nor can I find a supplier for 12mmx1.5 12pt nuts..... I'd need those for the front wheels

Last edited by ryarbrough; 08-18-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I run a 5/8 stud in the back with a black steel nut, and the big thick alum washer that came with the stud kit from moroso, no problems with them rusting. Fronts, I run a regular shank type chrome one I got from summit, and used a stainless washer with them.

I do, coat the lugnuts front and rear with some WD40 and wipe them off good every time they come off, or if I wash the car just to keep them from doing what you're having an issue with.

I've never had a problem with the studs rusting, or the nuts rusting since I started doing that. Pita, but it's worth it, I'm like you and don't like stuff looking like poo.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I run a 5/8 stud in the back with a black steel nut
That's kind of the way this thing will end up working if I can find a 12mm nut... Rather than just the spacers these are actually inserts that immitate the shank portion of the lug.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

SCORE!!! Fastenal sells M12-1.5 flange nuts!!!!

Project don't mess up pretty wheels is a go!