Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best way to build your cage in the back of the car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 10:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What is the best way to build your cage in the back of the car?

Im getting ready to put a new cage in my car. I was wondering what is the best way to do the cage in the rear of the car? I currently have my old cage running from the hoop to the back of the car and have them connected to a bar accross where the t top holders were. If anyone has any pics please post up or ideas. thanks.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:16 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Down to the frame rails in the back of the car. With those being x braced
Old 08-30-2010, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

frame rails on side of trunk?
Old 08-30-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

right over the spring perches...gives you rigidity where you need it the most...

Old 08-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd go as far as to do what Brian did, but take the bars all the way to the trunk, and run a 2nd set of small bars up to hit the long ones to tie it all in.

I'm doing something a little different (relocating shocks to the back/more centered on the rear, and putting a BIG anti-rollbar above the rear where the stock fuel tank usually is) and will be connecting it all together with some bars thru the top of the trunk floor up to the cage itself.

Car should be in the shop in the coming months, pic's will get posted once it's done.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ya look at some of the mini tub pics, with the side of the wheel wells cut you. you can see right acove the top of the coil pocket there some thick metal there. right behind the shock metal thats welded in. thats a good spot for a short rear bars, like the min 6-8point. and thats braced better for cutting the outside metal- the whole bumpstop of the frame right out. /so you can see the whole side of the coil/
i see guys do that for weight savings, or min tub. that dont have the cage tied in good above. and its like cutting half the frame rail out, cant be good

then if car needed a cute or faster then the 8.50 stuff, id go to the back on top of the frame rails like you said, with a bar going to over the coils. then you can put a coss bar inside the hatch between the stock rails. or outside the truck behind the bumper to mount the cute, push the car ect.
Attached Thumbnails What is the best way to build your cage in the back of the car?-2108170580037341635s600x600q85.jpg   What is the best way to build your cage in the back of the car?-mbc13ic7.jpg   What is the best way to build your cage in the back of the car?-spring-20break-202007-20177small.jpg  

Last edited by studderin; 08-30-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:47 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by studderin
id go to the back on top of the frame rails with a bar going to over the coils.
Bingo...
Old 08-31-2010, 06:07 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by studderin
ya look at some of the mini tub pics, with the side of the wheel wells cut you. you can see right acove the top of the coil pocket there some thick metal there. right behind the shock metal thats welded in. thats a good spot for a short rear bars, like the min 6-8point. and thats braced better for cutting the outside metal- the whole bumpstop of the frame right out. /so you can see the whole side of the coil/
i see guys do that for weight savings, or min tub. that dont have the cage tied in good above. and its like cutting half the frame rail out, cant be good

then if car needed a cute or faster then the 8.50 stuff, id go to the back on top of the frame rails like you said, with a bar going to over the coils. then you can put a coss bar inside the hatch between the stock rails. or outside the truck behind the bumper to mount the cute, push the car ect.
Right. I'm actually going to put a bar between the rails inside the frame rails to mount the shocks off of, and the BIG sway bar, then go thru the floor to tie that into the cage as well. This way it's all tied into eachother.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:09 PM
9 Second Club

Looks sweet I may do it back to the frame rails and then do a smaller bar connected to the above spring perch.