Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I topped out for my power level?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 02:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I topped out for my power level?

First heres a rundown on everything installed. Textralia OZ700 clutch, 18lb flywheeel, f-body T-56, 3.5" PST DS, adj control arms w/drop brackets in top hole, adj full length TA, adj panhard bar, TA relocation crossmember set at 2nd to highest hole, Moser 9" with full spool & 3.89's, stock springs with bilstein HD's all around, and pinion angle set to -1*. No front swaybar and stock rear. Tires are 26x10-15 et drags with 14psi cold.

All suspension is UMI and has poly ends. In the video I was running open headers and leaving off the 2-step at 6200rpm with a 1.69 60'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrg1VwMF0bw
Car is making roughly 380rwhp/ 370tq and weights alittle over 3500 with me.

Am I wrong for thinking it should run faster? All suggestions and/or comments are welcome!
Old 09-22-2010, 03:09 AM
11 Second Club

why are you running open headers?
Old 09-22-2010, 09:03 AM
11 Second Club

Just something I was trying out. It runs almost the same times open header as it does through the Y with a single cutout. Average of about .09 slower open header.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

whats the car doing out of the gate? spinning? or just bogging? I probably would have went w/ a 4.30 gear w/ a 6 speed.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:21 AM
TECH Junkie

I think you just need more seat time, better launch, quicker shifts, also get some weight out
Old 09-22-2010, 09:31 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I opportunity for more rear gear, at leas 10 way single adj, if not a Double Adj shock. Rear Drag Bar would help as well.

Also like mentioned getting weight out will be another benefit.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:04 AM
12 Second Club

No your not, but need to listen to jimmy smith about your tire pressure and lower it to 4 psi lol.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:26 PM
11 Second Club

Most of the time it bogs. Unfortunately the 3.89's went in while it was my DD for a couple years and highway mileage was important.
Originally Posted by The Guy in MY 99TA
whats the car doing out of the gate? spinning? or just bogging? I probably would have went w/ a 4.30 gear w/ a 6 speed.

I've been lookin real hard at the strange adj shocks but wasnt sure what kind, SA or DA, 6spd cars should have front and rear. And I was under the impression a drag bar really wasnt needed until the car begins to twist bad off the line?
Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
I opportunity for more rear gear, at leas 10 way single adj, if not a Double Adj shock. Rear Drag Bar would help as well.

Also like mentioned getting weight out will be another benefit.
I know the video isn't the best to show whats going on so hopefully I can get some better footage this weekend.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:45 PM
11 Second Club

What is your rpm through the traps, and where does your cam make peak hp? As mentioned, a steeper gear would probably be a good idea to help keep your rpm's up during the launch, sounded like it bogged once it hooked. With you trapping 115 with 3.89 gears, you gotta be way down there on rpm through the traps so there might be more to gain there also.

Ditch those Bilstien shocks and get some quality adjustable drag shocks (Afco, Strange). Get double adjustables for the rear, could get away with single adj for the front. Still got the front sway bar installed? If so, ditch that too. Let the front suspension work more freely to transfer the weight quicker and keep it there.

With a poly-ended torque arm, I'd run -2* pinion. I had the best trap speeds running that with my poly-ended Spohn t/a. This isn't going to make a huge difference, just a suggestion. Drag racing is all about efficiency and getting the most out of the power you have.

IMO, I'd say you have a couple tenths left in it, but it's gonna require some $$ mods.

Mike
Old 09-22-2010, 11:39 PM
11 Second Club

Mikey:
According to the fbody gear calculator the rpm's are right at 5800 crossing the line. My dyno sheet is 3 years old and since the car was tuned this summer its hard to say exactly whats going on now but it was at peak hp around 5600 and holding steady until 6300, which is where im shifting.

Im gonna make a few calls in the morning to see who has the best deal on DA Strange shocks for the rear cause I think thats more of a problem area than the front. Please correct me if Im wrong

This is from last Saturday as well...
Old 09-23-2010, 12:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Powershift_98
Mikey:
According to the fbody gear calculator the rpm's are right at 5800 crossing the line. My dyno sheet is 3 years old and since the car was tuned this summer its hard to say exactly whats going on now but it was at peak hp around 5600 and holding steady until 6300, which is where im shifting.
A simple tune shouldn't effect where the engine makes peak power unless you advanced/retarded the cam itself.

Originally Posted by Powershift_98

Im gonna make a few calls in the morning to see who has the best deal on DA Strange shocks for the rear cause I think thats more of a problem area than the front. Please correct me if Im wrong
Yeah, for a stick/clutch car the rear shocks are more important IMO. I'd call Madman for the shocks. He has as good of prices as anyone else but you get free suspension tuning/technical advice if you buy from him, which is invaluable.

Good luck.

Mike
Old 09-24-2010, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, if you're looking to get some suspension parts and/or shocks, call me today. Today is our last day of the Hurricane sale. I can get you 15% off our parts, and a decent discount on AFCO shocks. Ends today though! 225-673-3533