Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lug Nut question

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 10:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lug Nut question

I'm looking into a set of Pro Stars and was wondering what the ruling for the lug nuts are. I looked in the '04 rule book (General Reg. 5.2 I belive) and it didnt say anything about open lugs. just that the stud had to come into the Lug as far past the bottom of the lug (area where you put the socket to remove them) as the stud is wide. I always though it was the stud had to come out past the end of the lug as far as the stud is wide meaning you will need an open lug. The picture in the rule book shows a closed lug. I have the long studs on my rear so i'm sure i'll need a open lug to get them to tighten down anyways but i just wanted a clearing up on this.

JR
Old 01-28-2004, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JRcamaroZ28
I'm looking into a set of Pro Stars and was wondering what the ruling for the lug nuts are. I looked in the '04 rule book (General Reg. 5.2 I belive) and it didnt say anything about open lugs. just that the stud had to come into the Lug as far past the bottom of the lug (area where you put the socket to remove them) as the stud is wide. I always though it was the stud had to come out past the end of the lug as far as the stud is wide meaning you will need an open lug. The picture in the rule book shows a closed lug. I have the long studs on my rear so i'm sure i'll need a open lug to get them to tighten down anyways but i just wanted a clearing up on this.

JR
the stud only has to be in the hex part of the lug nut as long as it is wide , i.e. 7/16 stud only has to go into lug nut HEX part 7/16" 1/2" into HEX 1/2" and so on
Old 01-29-2004, 06:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Open lug nuts aren't a requirement, but they sure make inspection a lot easier for whoever is doing tech...

They just make things a little simpler.